Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2020, 01:25 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
I'm glad you posted. I have been using Illinois I pass for years with pickup and travel trailer and 6 wheel, two axle motor home with toad. I have never had to differentiate between transponders the toll readers always sensed what I had and charged accordingly. Same experience on I-65 bridge toll going into Louisville, Ky a couple years ago. It sounds like the rules have changed or are different in different places.
I wouldn't know as I try to avoid places where they charge me a toll and have not used any of them for a couple years except Ky. I still use tollway in Illinois, but they charge 10 times the 4wheel, two axle toll for a six wheel RV with a toad, so that combo never takes the tollway. Have not used my Sun pass since 2013. Never plan to go there again.

BTW: aluminum foil wrapper makes excellent Faraday cage. The Toad transponder is wrapped except when doing the tollway just in case I take a short cut.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Does it work as well as those tin-foil hats do?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1598877884
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tinfoil-hat.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	25880  
Old 08-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #23

Model: S.O.B.
State: Florida
THOR #14543
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Does Florida give you an option to "mask" the Sunpass' presence?
No. We have to physically remove it from the windshield (suction cups - easy removal) and put it in the shielding bag they provided. Then we stash it in the center console, and TRY to remember to reinstall it when done using the SUV as a toad.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #24

Model: Palazzo 36.2
State: Illinois
THOR #12796
Quote:
Does it work as well as those tin-foil hats do?

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1598877884

That was actually the reason for the "tin" foil hat, although that was doomed to fail by the large opening in the bottom for the face and neck.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
No. We have to physically remove it from the windshield (suction cups - easy removal) and put it in the shielding bag they provided. Then we stash it in the center console, and TRY to remember to reinstall it when done using the SUV as a toad.
The good thing about Sunpass is you don't even need a transponder. If you have your vehicles registered by license plate they charge the toll to your Sunpass account regardless.

We just traded in my wife's CRV for a new Colorado Z71 pickup a few weeks ago at a dealership almost a hundred miles away. The CRV had a permanent stuck to windshield transponder. We had the tags from the CRV transferred to the Colorado. We went through several 25 cent tolls on the way back with the new truck and they rand up on the account just as if we had a transponder.

This is NOT the same as "Toll-by-Plate" when you don't have a Sunpass account. "Toll-by-Plate" does not get you the Sunpass discounted toll (in fact some tolls are higher than cash) and there is no Administrative fee.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 12:13 PM   #26

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobil Suites 40KSSB4
State: Virginia
THOR #19022
Makes sense. I live in VA and have had an EZ Pass for years for my passenger cars (we don't use it much, so it gets shared between three regular sized passenger vehicles). I also used it on occasion with our Jeep Grand Cherokee when towing our little Mini-Lite. No problems using the pass when towing.

However, I recently purchased a new DRV fifth wheel and Ram 3500 dually. So, I sent off for an appropriate EZ Pass for the new setup. They sent me a new blue transponder, which I use when towing and then swap out for the old white one when after I've dropped the trailer.

Took a trip recently from VA to Elkhart and used both interchangeably throughout the trip without issue. I've checked my account and all charges look to be appropriate, so I don't think there were any issues.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:26 PM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Pal36.3 View Post
That was actually the reason for the "tin" foil hat, although that was doomed to fail by the large opening in the bottom for the face and neck.
So the Government was still able to read your thoughts?

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #28
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
So the Government was still able to read your thoughts?

Only if you use a "Neuralink" LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 07:56 PM   #29

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Talked to the MA EZPASS folks (I live in MI, which has no EZPass, so just picked them based on forum comments). They told me to get three transponders for my motorhome/towed units.
Could you order the EZpasses mailed to MI? I just went from MI to Maine and back with MH and toad. Sure wish I had EZpass vs cash. NY thruway was $57 each way from PA through to MA!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #30

Model: Freedom elite 26HE
State: Wisconsin
THOR #17018
EZ Pass

A Farraday bag from Amazon is a good investment. We use the Illinois tollway often and simply got an extra transponder. The transponder is linked to the vehicle and determines the axles that go through and bills our account appropriately. Got a couple of extra tools on our trailered vehicle until we used the bag to store the transponder.
Drkevr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #31
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Could you order the EZpasses mailed to MI? I just went from MI to Maine and back with MH and toad. Sure wish I had EZpass vs cash. NY thruway was $57 each way from PA through to MA!
Yup: I just signed up through Ohio's EZ-Pass and filled out the info...a few days later my EZ-Pass showed up in the mail.

Last year we did a trip to NJ and back and it was sooo much nicer with an EZ-Pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkevr
A Farraday bag from Amazon is a good investment. We use the Illinois tollway often and simply got an extra transponder. The transponder is linked to the vehicle and determines the axles that go through and bills our account appropriately. Got a couple of extra tools on our trailered vehicle until we used the bag to store the transponder.
Our EZ-Pass came in one (they didn't want us being charged a toll when the UPS truck went down the turnpike). Also included was a note to not throw away the bag.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:04 AM   #32
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkevr View Post
Wrapped in Aluminum foil and put in the glove box or console works just as well.
Old 09-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #33

THOR #9522
Thanks Jamie
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 09-23-2020, 07:13 PM   #34

THOR #9522
I think I like MA current pay by the plate system over EZ-PASS! We went through with the motor home with pickup on tow. A month later my wife did the same drive in just the pickup. SAME PRICE! Their cameras were only picking up the toad plate. Yes we paid the more expensive toll with invoice fee but it still was way less than it should have been!
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
Old 09-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #35

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
I think I like MA current pay by the plate system over EZ-PASS! We went through with the motor home with pickup on tow. A month later my wife did the same drive in just the pickup. SAME PRICE! Their cameras were only picking up the toad plate. Yes we paid the more expensive toll with invoice fee but it still was way less than it should have been!
I use one pass for just the RV and another pass for when a toad is in use. Never an issue.
Old 10-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #36

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfla View Post
That's what I have in the MH. I've used it in several states with no problems whatsoever, including Virginia several times, running both solo (2 axles) and with the toad on a dolly (4 axles). Billing has been accurate every time.

Agree, we are TN residents and purchased the Florida UNI from Amazon. No issues when traveling multiple states, and no billing issues from Florida.