Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-19-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
EZ Pass Info as of Today

There has been considerable discussion on the boards about EZ Pass and specifically EZ Pass on RVs when towing. Today I spent about 3 hours dealing with the EZ Pass folks. This resulted from being issued an incorrect class code 72 (under 7,000 pound) transponder for the RV

Yes, when requesting a transponder you must declare the number of axles and whether the vehicle is under or over 7,000 pounds. In Virginia the RV transponders cannot be issued by retail locations and must come from an EZ Pass service center.

Yes, when going through a toll booth the system will count the numerate of axles.

No, the system will not charge the appropriate toll based on axles if the original EZ Pass is issued to 2 axles and 4 axles go through the lane. The system will instead submit an error for investigation and collection.

The EZ pass customer service center is issuing me 2 transponders. One that I will use when not towing which is issued to class code 459. The second EZ pass will be used when towing and is issued to class code 467.

There are transponders that are issued to heavy trucks that take into consideration whether or not a trailer is being towed etc... Those transponders have additional circuitry and are also read at some weight stations.

This is the info I got from the EZ Pass Virginia Service Center and the person I talked knew what was happening as soon as I mentioned Motorhome.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Here's a "messy" scenario:
What if your Toad is up on a trailer? (single axle)
What will the system count for axles?
2, 3, or maybe 5?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on this one.
Here's a "messy" scenario:
What if your Toad is up on a trailer? (single axle)
What will the system count for axles?
2, 3, or maybe 5?
3--the car's axle's on the trailer don't count; tires on the road. (Edit: Unless your trailer has two axle's then 4.)

I always wondered about this as it looked like you needed two different transponders (one for towing and one not) when I signed up with EZ-Pass in Ohio.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Too difficult!

The Florida EZpass AKA UNI don't care about anything except the number of axles that go through the toll. Good in 18 EZPASS states. SUNPASS is the same when it is brought into the fold.

MH by itself? 2 or 3 axle toll
MH with toad? 4 or 5 axle toll
Toad by itself? 2 axle toll

Taking the motorcycle for a spin? 2 axle toll.

All these northern states (Yes Virginia, that includes you) that complicate the EZPASS system based on a single vehicle's weight, class, number of axles, etc are just trying to put the screws to your wallet.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Now: my head hurts...
Old 08-19-2020, 10:44 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
OK, dumb question here (one of those inquiring mind types) Why cant you have a two (2) axle on the RV and a two (2) axle on the toad. Then, when both go through, the toll authority gets the proper toll paid.

Not arguing, I just always wondered about this, thought maybe someone might know...
Old 08-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #7
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
OK, dumb question here (one of those inquiring mind types) Why cant you have a two (2) axle on the RV and a two (2) axle on the toad. Then, when both go through, the toll authority gets the proper toll paid.

Not arguing, I just always wondered about this, thought maybe someone might know...
The axle counters are programmed to determine if a single unit with 2+ axles is going through the toll by the time elapsed between axles. So a single unit may be a 3 axle truck or MH, or a 5 axle 18 wheeler, or any vehicle with a trailer or toad in tow.

They are also programmed to catch toll runners who tailgate the vehicle in front of them hoping their toll will be an "add-on" (trailer) for the transponder in the vehicle in front of them. It's a tricky timing balance. So tricky, that if you have a transponder in your MH and a transponder in your toad your MH toll will be charged for both the MH and toad axles AND your toad transponder will be charged for the toad axles.

If you have a transponder for both you need to put the toad transponder in an electrostatic bag (faraday cage) so it is not "pinged" as you go through the toll.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:34 AM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Thanks for reminding us about bagging the Toad's transponder.

I was ready to forget all about that!
Old 08-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #9
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Thanks for reminding us about bagging the Toad's transponder.

I was ready to forget all about that!
Easy to forget. I've had to pull over a couple of times before toll booths to run back to the toad and bag the transponder.
Old 08-20-2020, 01:26 AM   #10
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post

I asked that very question today. Sometimes the motorhome block the reader from reading the transponder in the toad and the toad gets a nasty picture with ticket in the mail. Has to do with height of RV and length of the tow bar.
Old 08-29-2020, 06:27 PM   #11

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
https://e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass/31-map
Old 08-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #12

THOR #12830
https://www.ezpassva.com/pdfs/reference_codes.pdf
Old 08-29-2020, 08:19 PM   #13

State: Virginia
THOR #19219
Yak top. Saw your chart, but doesn’t reflect a code for a 2 axle, 6 wheel RV with a tow dolly and 2 axle auto?
Old 08-29-2020, 08:30 PM   #14

THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarrabee View Post
Yak top. Saw your chart, but doesn’t reflect a code for a 2 axle, 6 wheel RV with a tow dolly and 2 axle auto?
I have the MA ezpasses. 2 cars, just sprinter, and and sprinter with toad. All the same account.
Old 08-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #15
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarrabee View Post

Since EZ Pass cares about axles... the RV 4 axle 10 tire option would seem to fit?

When towing with Sunpass in FL, haven’t had any duplicate charge issues... a Transponder is always in the Jeep (non-removable type affixed to windshield - my preference in a soft top vehicle).
So far EZ Pass can’t read Sunpass, so don’t know how they would deal with it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:44 PM   #16

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #14543
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The Florida EZpass AKA UNI don't care about anything except the number of axles that go through the toll. Good in 18 EZPASS states.
That's what I have in the MH. I've used it in several states with no problems whatsoever, including Virginia several times, running both solo (2 axles) and with the toad on a dolly (4 axles). Billing has been accurate every time.
Popfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #17
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Does Florida give you an option to "mask" the Sunpass' presence?
Old 08-30-2020, 02:19 PM   #18

Model: Venetian
State: Michigan
THOR #19687
Talked to the MA EZPASS folks (I live in MI, which has no EZPass, so just picked them based on forum comments). They told me to get three transponders for my motorhome/towed units. I have one for the motorhome when towing, one for the motorhome when not towing, and one for the towed. The towed one is usually kept in it's bag (for EV shielding so as not to incur charges at the booth when it's being towed); and the motorhome usually has only the one for the combination exposed to be read. But I've used the towed's transponder when driving it alone, and can use the MH alone one in case I drive it through toll roads without the towed. The transponders are coded for the exact type of units (axles and weight class) that they are used with, and if not used specifically this way, can generate problems for you. FYI, PA turnpike charges by weight (they weigh in motion at the toll area), not number of axles, so you need to get this close to correct or you'll still have unexplained charges on your bill.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #19
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering View Post
Talked to the MA EZPASS folks (I live in MI, which has no EZPass, so just picked them based on forum comments). They told me to get three transponders for my motorhome/towed units. I have one for the motorhome when towing, one for the motorhome when not towing, and one for the towed. The towed one is usually kept in it's bag (for EV shielding so as not to incur charges at the booth when it's being towed); and the motorhome usually has only the one for the combination exposed to be read. But I've used the towed's transponder when driving it alone, and can use the MH alone one in case I drive it through toll roads without the towed. The transponders are coded for the exact type of units (axles and weight class) that they are used with, and if not used specifically this way, can generate problems for you. FYI, PA turnpike charges by weight (they weigh in motion at the toll area), not number of axles, so you need to get this close to correct or you'll still have unexplained charges on your bill.
Same as my original post. I got the two blue transponders (over 7000 lbs) For the motorhome a couple days ago.

Amazing what you find out when you take a few minutes to call and get the correct and current info based on asking specific questions.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 PM   #20

Model: Infinity
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #12753
This post reminds me I have to order an EZ PASS for my MH. Thanks!