Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2018, 04:24 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian A40
State: North Carolina
THOR #11839
Fan in Inverter Cargo Bay

Just purchased a new Venetian A40. I won’t go into the issues of having a new motor home. My question is the fan that constantly runs in the Inverter Cargo Bay. Whether plugged into shore power, generator or not plugged into any power, this fan is always running. I keep it in an enclosed storage with 30 amp service and it has been running for 4 days. Is this normal? The only way I have found to turn it off is to turn off the house batteries.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
I assume that is is an inverter/converter, if it is The fan will run even if unplugged if the inverter is turned on. Try turning inverter off. When you are plugged in the fan will run almost all the time because then it is charge mode. The one in or 06 Camelot is always running and it is the original, so I wouldn't be to concerned. It's when the fan stops running that it is a concern, as it did in our Chateau.
Old 06-07-2018, 11:19 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
as a Palazzo owner and a magnum ME 2012 inverter, I see that ours runs fairly constantly as well. The other day I happened to watch a video on YouTube where a very astute and knowledgeable technician took apart this exact type of Inverter, revealing two internal fans, and a huge transformer that creates a lot of heat. These fans are designed to automatically come on at certain temperatures and run constantly until those temperatures fall back to a certain low point.
My understanding is that manufacturers also provide external fans that provide air movement when these inverters are placed in bays/compartments that may not have good airflow. These fans are typically wired with a temperature sensor that tells the fan when to cut on and cut off, but the sensors tend to be not very reliable and to run, it seems, more often than necessary.
One trick that some of us use is to place a piece of ice on the temperature control and it will almost immediately shut off.
as for whether the external fan should run constantly even when in storage and only on shore power for trickle charge, I’m certain that it depends on the internal temperature of the storage area, the outside weather temperature, and whether the charger is in bulk or absorb charge mode, as most any charger, even an external charger, would have a fan running most of the time that it’s doing it’s job.

Annoying, though, for sure.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:38 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
Arrow

Old 07-15-2018, 03:16 PM   #5

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My compartment fan switch is set at 110 degrees and off at 100 which means it runs a lot when it is warm or the inverter is or has been in use.