Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-30-2018, 01:01 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
When we did the tour there were very few workers to be seen as the tour seemed to be scheduled for after working hours. That seems intentional for both the workers sake as well as those taking the tour to prevent seeing something that management would frown on.

FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 AM   #22

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
I called Thor last week with an issue, talked to a Rep and told them the issue. 31L gets water on the controller board for the heater and the heater will come on by itself, so i have to take the outside cover off to dry the board so it will work correctly. Asked the Rep if there was a way to move the board or a better seal for the cover.
He decided to tell me a funny joke. He told me to take it back to camping world and have ( Professional eyes put on it to find the leak) I actually laughed at him and asked if he actually heard what he just said. LOL I hung up will find a solution to the problem myself.

BTW anyone know of a fix for the problem?
Old 04-30-2018, 05:22 AM   #23

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cason61 View Post
You know? Maybe it's a good idea to I- phone the walk around and if there is a problem, state you want it fixed before, I MEAN BEFORE WE ACCEPT IT and they get the check. Might also use the I-phone so they can explain how the myriad of everything works... and you sign off if you understand how it does. You can keep the chip for future reference.

Thats exactly what we did on out 2013 Rockwood fifth wheel and on the 2017 Thor 23TR. I watched both many times and had many questions answered.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:06 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
I called Thor last week with an issue, talked to a Rep and told them the issue. 31L gets water on the controller board for the heater and the heater will come on by itself, so i have to take the outside cover off to dry the board so it will work correctly. Asked the Rep if there was a way to move the board or a better seal for the cover.
He decided to tell me a funny joke. He told me to take it back to camping world and have ( Professional eyes put on it to find the leak) I actually laughed at him and asked if he actually heard what he just said. LOL I hung up will find a solution to the problem myself.

Which way are the vents pointed on the door? There have been numerous case of the vents point down into the heater area right where the control board is (mine included).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:35 PM   #25

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post

You’re wise to fix it yourself. Most water issues are not all that difficult to track down and are nearly free to fix. And you’ll have the added benefit of learning a lot about your coach while you are investigating.

With respect, I’d suggest you resist the urge to ridicule Thor. In my experience they are helpful, interested and willing to assist in making things right. And not all dealers are crap.
Old 04-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #26

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Agree with Pete^^^ 100%. My experience so far with Thor has been excellent. I feel they build a superior product and have a genuine interest in making things right. There's no better knowledge of your own "camper" than to just jump in and do most of the small stuff yourself. It will pay off around 3:30AM some morning when you're the only one that can fix it and know where everything is and how it works.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:51 AM   #27

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Which way are the vents pointed on the door? There have been numerous case of the vents point down into the heater area right where the control board is (mine included).
My vents do not point down, one of the first things i checked. I suspect its the foam seal on the door. I might look up a replacement for it and figure out a way to protect the board with maybe a shield around it. My RV is a 2016 Chateau 31L
Old 05-01-2018, 02:58 AM   #28

THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Agree with Pete^^^ 100%. My experience so far with Thor has been excellent. I feel they build a superior product and have a genuine interest in making things right. There's no better knowledge of your own "camper" than to just jump in and do most of the small stuff yourself. It will pay off around 3:30AM some morning when you're the only one that can fix it and know where everything is and how it works.
Since purchasing this 31L new in 2016 I have had to call a few times with issues, which they did help me resolve over the phone. I have fixed all the small and big things myself, I do not trust the dealerships. As far as a superior product, I would not go that far, mine has been mostly trouble free but i have had to go back and fix to many issues and still chasing down issues and fixing them, the DW and myself like our RV but I would not go so far as to call it superior product.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #29

THOR #11130
It's all relative...I say that in comparison to some other real problem manufacturers today. But, you're right...not perfect.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:55 PM   #30

Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
THOR #9033
I an seeing the whole RV industry get these kinds of review albeit we see mostly the willingness of disgruntled owners writing while the satisfied customers rarely do. Also, we are in need of recognizing we are dealing with a house and car here and not just one or the other. A house and car that travels at 60+ mph on American highways and bridges (of which we've found few bridges that are actually built with the bridge surface meeting the road surface in a flush manner)
That being said, and I"m not minimizing problems with Thors, but know this is industry-wide...along with the long waits for service, warranty work etc.
Over the past six months, I have heard problems with:
1. Bounder 40+ footer that won't stop leaking in the roof and air conditioning units
2. American Eagle that can't get the warranty work done for 3 months
3. Tiffin 40+ with a frig that won't work on gas while off of shore power
4. Itasca with a vinyl floor that lifts up and down depending on the temperatures
5. A new bus with slides that won't stay synced up and go out and in crooked (wonder if they read the manual on syncing those motors?)
6. A Winnie 40+ footer that was way out of alignment on delivery
7. Dutchman that had to be taken back to get the tvs working
and the list goes on I'm sure. Not bashing any company or product but finding the $$$ seems to be no object...when finding problems.
And then dealers.....lots knocking Camping World and they have their problems...but then I've heard the same kind of bashings directed at other outlets while other CW users are more than happy.
It's a tough market to make people happy, no doubt. I've heard the RV stands for "ruined vacation" and an RV being "a rolling earthquake" while hearing the same thing on boats "break out another thousand" and we all know, "the two happiest days of a boat owner....."
Let's hope the camping gods will see fit to give us some happiness as we travel the summer roads and make the "pain" worthwhile.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 AM   #31

THOR #7642
Nope! Nothing is gonna work until they get hit in the pocket. THEN and only then will they feel our pain.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 AM   #32

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
We are the ones supporting their bad building practices.

We want bigger, more slides, more detail in construction, better appliances, bigger A/C units, more stable, more power to tow bigger toads, better economy and then beat them up on price. Something has got to give and its QUALITY.

I have had three TT's, a 5th wheel and now a motor home. None of the tt's or fifth wheel ever spent a day in the shop. Repairs to the motor home in the first year probably took less than 10 hours to preform but it has been in the shop for a total of four months. I just can't hang that on Thor. That is just irresponsible dealers that have no concern once your name is on the dotted line.
Recently when I put in a claim for paint treatment (applied be the dealer) that hasn't held up in one small area. The dealer said I had to go through them for repairs and I could have an appointment in mid August( 3 months ) for an estimate of repairs and I would have to leave it at that time. Repairs would be complete by Labor Day depending on how backed up the body shop was at that time. Its the dealers where changes need to start. Most owners would be thrilled if the MH spend 4 days for minor repairs rather than several months.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #33

THOR #9033
This sounds like SOP for winter time in Florida. Your appt is 3 months off. Went over to CW the other day and found 3 campers parked in the waiting to be looked at area. SNowbirds are gone....business picking up, up north I presume.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post

We want bigger, more slides, more detail in construction, better appliances, bigger A/C units, more stable, more power to tow bigger toads, better economy and then beat them up on price. Something has got to give and its QUALITY.

I have had three TT's, a 5th wheel and now a motor home. None of the tt's or fifth wheel ever spent a day in the shop. Repairs to the motor home in the first year probably took less than 10 hours to preform but it has been in the shop for a total of four months. I just can't hang that on Thor. That is just irresponsible dealers that have no concern once your name is on the dotted line.
Recently when I put in a claim for paint treatment (applied be the dealer) that hasn't held up in one small area. The dealer said I had to go through them for repairs and I could have an appointment in mid August( 3 months ) for an estimate of repairs and I would have to leave it at that time. Repairs would be complete by Labor Day depending on how backed up the body shop was at that time. Its the dealers where changes need to start. Most owners would be thrilled if the MH spend 4 days for minor repairs rather than several months.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM   #34

THOR #9033
I can't see the dealers improving much. They are making money. Was at LazyDays a few weeks back and the big boxes were flying out of there faster than you could count them. I recently had a run-in with a saleperson at CW and registered by complaint with the local and national CWs. He is not well-liked at that branch and we were treated worse than I have ever.....ever been treated by a salesman. I made it known to him but after all these complaints, I have never received a followup and the dope is still there. ON top of that, it seems like there is more demand for work to be done than there is a supply of good techs. Not sure of what the solution is...I know what it should be but in the real world....ain't gonna happen.

Advice and I have done this.....find a dealer...find a good salesman.....he/she will tell you the best people in service and parts and go to them. Doesn't hurt to attaboy a little but a few get things done....the deadwood continues to be deadwood just as its been for decades. Stick with the good people and hope they will reflect on the woodies and not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post

Old 05-29-2018, 07:46 PM   #35

THOR #11130
I got my survey this weekend. While I've had no issues with the coach, I will let them know about dealer relations and general lack luster of unqualified and don't give a crap salespeople...that's where their bread is buttered...or goes rancid. I plan to write a letter, expanding each answer making reference to each question rather than "check the box". I think they run those through a scanner and no one sees them. At least someone would have to read a letter, plus I can mail it to other departments as well. With a letter you're not limited to a fixed response of their own choices of answers. The hired company that manages the survey is CSI out of St. Louis, MO...whoever they are. My letter will go to Elkhart, IN...where my coach was manufactured. I got a couple of call from "CSI" questioning warranty work done on the coach before I ever took delivery of it. It makes you wonder what type repairs "to other units" are being charged to the new, unsold units in their inventory.