Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Finally got a survey from Thor- My response...

Hahaha. (No, that wasn't my response. I'll paste what I wrote in my survey below.)

Quote:
I have been in the auto industry for 4 decades. I have owned and/or worked on everything from cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, aircraft, RV's to Indy race cars. This Thor Vegas is the most poorly assembled vehicle I have ever encountered in my entire life.

I have never seen such horrific work done in the building of anything, even residential home construction. I already have hundreds of hours invested in this Thor RV just making sure it's not going to start on fire, fall apart or simply fail to operate as we're driving it down the road. Completely inexcusable and frankly hugely disappointing in regards to our American workforce. Having the RV built in China would have resulted in a better built product by far.

I will give ONE example of hundreds... The 30 amp 110 volt lines running under the coach were routed between the frame and rear wheels, laying on top of the leaf springs and were rubbing on the tire. Having those harnesses short out or get wrapped around the rear wheels while we're driving could have been tragic, if not deadly.

That's just one little example of what an experienced owner has had to deal with on a brand new coach. Inexcusable, disappointing and downright negligent on Thor's part.

Does anyone really think it's gonna do anything? I doubt it. They're making money building these things the way they are. The people building them are making money, the dealers are making money and Thor is selling RV's as fast as they can make them. There is no more pride. No more company loyalty. No more simply wanting to do the right thing. It's ALL about money, nothing else.

Like I mentioned in my comment to them, it's disappointing and sad. If this is what America is evolving into, we're screwed.

Old 04-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #2

THOR #10907
Automated response... (So far, I just submitted the survey this morning.)

Quote:
Thank you for participating in the Thor Motor Coach customer satisfaction survey process. The goal is to continue to provide superior products and services. The feedback you provided will assist us in meeting our goal.
Your response will be reviewed by our dealer and product support teams. If we identify that we have not met your expectations we will take the necessary steps to follow-up to achieve an amicable outcome.
Sincerely,
Customer Satisfaction Team

It will be interesting to see if I get a response from a human being that actually cares.
Old 04-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
That was was a very "charitably-written" response, that you sent to them. Good luck; let us know what happens after you speak with someone...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
It will be interesting to see what their reply is. Please keep us informed.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #5

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
I mentioned a few specific issues with my survey, I got the same canned response, and never heard another word. Not sure if any human actually reads them. Pity...
Old 04-09-2018, 04:00 PM   #6

THOR #10907
Got this email this morning...

Quote:
Good morning!

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be of service to you today.

I recently received your survey and I tried calling you to see if you had anything on the survey you’d like to discuss or if you have any open issues on the motorhome that haven’t been resolved. If either of those apply to you, then please call us at your convenience to discuss.

If the coach is in a good state of repair and there’s nothing that you’d like to discuss from the survey, then please disregard this email.

Have a great day!

Hmmm. I'm going to say this is also a form letter. There's no way an actual human would have read my comments and then responded like this. And how did he "try calling" when my phone number wasn't even in the survey? I never got a call, that's BS.

So I'm guessing that's the end of it. Since this email response clearly put the job of "resolving" any "open issues" on the owner by saying I need to call them to discuss, 90% of owners won't bother. I'm not going to bother calling them, F that.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Model: Axis 25.5
State: Florida
THOR #4802
Angry

We sent Thor a similar letter, expressing our disappointment in our 2017 Axis 25.5 that we bought new in August last year. We cited the fact that over the years we've owned a class C Winnebago, a class B+ PleasureWay and 4 or 5 travel trailers. By far, our Winnebago Aspect class C was the best and, by far, this current Thor Axis has been the worst. And, getting warranty service from our crappy dealer, America Choice RV of Ocala, FL, only aggrivates the problems because they routinely fail to return calls, lie when they do return calls and do the absolute minimum with the few repairs they have made. After keeping our unit for nearly 3 weeks, when the coach battery charger/inverter unit went bad, 3 days after we took delivery of the unit, they tried to return it to us with the coach batteries still burned up from severe over-charging and were reluctant to provide us 2 new batteries until I raised hell and told them we weren't leaving without new batteries. At this writing, I'm still waiting for a call back from these jerks, to schedule another warranty repair visit because our dash A/C now isn't working...I first left a message for their so called service dept. to call me to schedule an appointment on Tuesday of last week and have left several additional requests since then...you never seem to be able to talk with a human...Again, totally unacceptable and crappy dealer service.
In response to our letter, we did get a phone call from someone at Thor, acknowledging our letter and assuring us that they'd repair anything necessary...hard to do when you can't get an appointment with your dealer. We also received a form letter, assuring us that Thor was building the best RV's in the industry...yea right!
We get a lot of interest and inquiries about our unit at campgrounds and when stopped on the road. We tell everyone who will listen to look elsewhere other than anything made by Thor.
Old 04-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Indiana
THOR #6414
At some point I suspect either Jaime or Rebecca or possibly one of a couple others will phone you about your survey. They will likely offer you a spot in factory service in an effort to appease you. As long as they can make a few people happy it keeps a select number of customers providing positive comments here and in other forums on the internet about how great they are. I've talked with no less than 5 different Thor representatives, none of which where authorized to resolve the real issue that they built my coach on an E350 when it was ordered in 2017 and should have been an E450. It has made a great conversation piece for me and in the first year I was responsible for nearly $1 million dollars in verifiable lost sales by telling my story around the country while we travel. I'm looking forward to another $1 million dollar year this year as we head out in just a few weeks. It won't bankrupt them but it is lost revenue and demonstrates they would have been money ahead to resolve their mistake rather than treat me like I was ignorant at first, then like it was out of their control, and then one excuse after another. #ThorLacksIntegrity
Old 04-09-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Got this email this morning...
...And how did he "try calling" when my phone number wasn't even in the survey? I never got a call, that's BS.
Perhaps you had a phone number in the paperwork when you purchased your rig?
Old 04-09-2018, 11:36 PM   #10

THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Perhaps you had a phone number in the paperwork when you purchased your rig?
Of course, but as disconnected as this RV industry seems to be, I doubted seriously if Thor actually had that information. They asked for my email address in the survey, they should have had that too from my dealer paperwork.

On a side note, talking about being "connected", I had to call Yamaha about a problem with a free extended warranty I was supposed to get when I bought our boat. I had never called Yamaha customer service before this first and only call. Anyway, a REAL PERSON answers the phone and asks me what they can do for me. I say I was supposed to get an extended warranty but it's been a few weeks and I never received any paperwork about the warranty. The person replies, "Well Mr. Xxxxxxx, it looks like you do have the extended warranty that Yamaha was giving to buyers for free, it's listed right in your file. You bought your 2017 212 S Limited on xx/xx/xxxx correct?" I said yes. They replied, "You should be receiving your warranty paperwork in the mail any day now."

The cool part about the phone call? I NEVER said my name! When somebody calls Yamaha customer service, their computer pulls the caller ID and connects it to their owner database. The person on the phone is looking at your file showing all your information, including the boat you bought and where you bought it from before you even say your name. I like that!
Old 04-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
A few months after we purchased our Axis I got a call from Thor; talked to a real person. It was a very pleasant call--I'm sure I didn't say much as I was in shock during the call.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 AM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
I must me one lucky ombré. I’ve had three conversations with Thor over the past year and a half and all three were productive and issues were addressed in a timely manner to include sending me a new closet door for my Vegas that was damaged when the little plastic tabs that were holding the small table top in place failed while turning a corner sending the table top thru the left door. No cost for the door or shipping although the 1 yr warranty had expired. Hope my luck holds lol.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:59 PM   #13

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
I must me one lucky ombré. I’ve had three conversations with Thor over the past year and a half and all three were productive and issues were addressed in a timely manner to include sending me a new closet door for my Vegas that was damaged when the little plastic tabs that were holding the small table top in place failed while turning a corner sending the table top thru the left door. No cost for the door or shipping although the 1 yr warranty had expired. Hope my luck holds lol.
I've also had excellent results when I have called customer service at Thor. Just never had a response to the survey, or any from their contact pages on the web site.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:12 PM   #14

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
I've also had excellent results when I have called customer service at Thor. Just never had a response to the survey, or any from their contact pages on the web site.
Yeah, my bathroom door (as well as the bedroom door) sometimes slides open while driving. Even the storage compartments will pop open if I hit a pothole I didn't see. Three ways to fix these. One: get some velcro, cut one side in half, screw it into the door and wall, put a zip tie to the uncut side and use these for when you get going. Two: Get some big, thick rubber bands and screw in a post to tie them to. Three: Get some of those rubber clips with plastic balls attached, which also work too, just costs more money than a bag full of rubber bands. Also put a clip in the wall to hold up the broom and mop in the bathroom so they won't knock something else to the floor when they fall. And somehow the shower door didnt have a slide stop so it tended to come off the slide when it got opened ...and this got a screw in the end which stopped it. Cheap fixes
Old 04-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #15

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I find this forum works best when used as a resource rather than a complaint department. I, for one, love my Miramar. I've had some minor issues... 1 the dealer fixed, 1 Thor paid for me to have fixed and others I fixed myself with help of this forum. I recommend my Miramar and my Dealer to all that ask.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
In open forums; folks will talk about whatever comes up...

...including the complaints!

You can't stop it...
Old 04-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
In open forums; folks will talk about whatever comes up...

...including the complaints!

You can't stop it...
Oh, I know I can't stop it...just making a point.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #18

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldchief View Post
We sent Thor a similar letter, expressing our disappointment in our 2017 Axis 25.5 that we bought new in August last year. We cited the fact that over the years we've owned a class C Winnebago, a class B+ PleasureWay and 4 or 5 travel trailers. By far, our Winnebago Aspect class C was the best and, by far, this current Thor Axis has been the worst. And, getting warranty service from our crappy dealer, America Choice RV of Ocala, FL, only aggrivates the problems because they routinely fail to return calls, lie when they do return calls and do the absolute minimum with the few repairs they have made. After keeping our unit for nearly 3 weeks, when the coach battery charger/inverter unit went bad, 3 days after we took delivery of the unit, they tried to return it to us with the coach batteries still burned up from severe over-charging and were reluctant to provide us 2 new batteries until I raised hell and told them we weren't leaving without new batteries. At this writing, I'm still waiting for a call back from these jerks, to schedule another warranty repair visit because our dash A/C now isn't working...I first left a message for their so called service dept. to call me to schedule an appointment on Tuesday of last week and have left several additional requests since then...you never seem to be able to talk with a human...Again, totally unacceptable and crappy dealer service.
In response to our letter, we did get a phone call from someone at Thor, acknowledging our letter and assuring us that they'd repair anything necessary...hard to do when you can't get an appointment with your dealer. We also received a form letter, assuring us that Thor was building the best RV's in the industry...yea right!
We get a lot of interest and inquiries about our unit at campgrounds and when stopped on the road. We tell everyone who will listen to look elsewhere other than anything made by Thor.
You know? Maybe it's a good idea to I- phone the walk around and if there is a problem, state you want it fixed before, I MEAN BEFORE WE ACCEPT IT and they get the check. Might also use the I-phone so they can explain how the myriad of everything works... and you sign off if you understand how it does. You can keep the chip for future reference.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I find this forum works best when used as a resource rather than a complaint department.

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1523896577
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	complaints.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	9747  
Old 04-30-2018, 12:48 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
We are on our third Thor. We have had so many good times with each one. The pleasure has outweighed the pain. There has been much pain!
We have been to Wakarusa a couple times and have been back to our dealer in Elkhart so many times I don't use a GPS to get around town anymore.
I admit, I am often dumfounded by how these things are put together. In all those trips to Elkhart we have never taken a factory tour.
Here's my question; I have never heard anyone say anything negative about the tour. Most comments I have seen are all very positive. I would think that someone would say that they saw lazy workers, throwing together cheap parts like they don't care. Just curious.