Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2021, 12:28 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Finally September 15

Th's the Season to celebrate. September 15 each year the refineries switch from the summer blend of gasoline to the winter blend. Since the winter blend is a wider cut of crude, it is inherently cheaper to produce. Generally, Winter blend has less additives as NOx emissions are less in the cooler weather.

Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:51 AM   #2

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 AM   #3

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Great
In CA prices will drop from 4.75 to 4.69

Although Costco/Sams is at 3.89
Old 09-17-2021, 12:23 AM   #4

Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
If your rig is a diesel you will loose mpg with cooler temps and winter fuel.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:50 AM   #5
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
But every time they make the change the gas price goes up. It may drift back down but I will tell you gas in our area has gone up almost 20 cents a gallon since Monday.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 01:09 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2 View Post
If your rig is a diesel you will loose mpg with cooler temps and winter fuel.
Even gas engines get worse mileage with the colder weather..
The fuel injection systems have to dump in more fuel; in order to keep up with the cooler, denser air...
Old 09-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Even gas engines get worse mileage with the colder weather..
The fuel injection systems have to dump in more fuel; in order to keep up with the cooler, denser air...
Yeah but I breathe easier since my air injection system, lungs, are taking in cooler air. It'll be around October here.

When I was in the Army the building HVAC systems would be switched from cooling to heating based on a calendar date. Not necessarily temperature but date. Government mandated dates for switching these things takes into consideration no factors except the date. On my last trip, got home yesterday, I paid $2.85-3.00 for diesel and $2.75-2.90 for regular gas for the toad.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
The price of regular gas in many places around here went up two days ago to $3 a gallon. Big oil doesn't need a reason to charge more.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:06 PM   #9
MLP

THOR #17478
Oil is fungible. We are no longer producing enough for our own use. Just a short time ago we were exporting it. The middle east and Russia are not interested in filling the gap. They are happy to allow the price to increase. It is in their best interest to get more for their oil. Oil is based on the world price and it will go to the highest bidder. So world price goes up because world supply is fixed by other producers. Without increasing overall world production to cover the increase demand, the price goes up. It is the law of supply and demand. Yes the EPA does make artificial shortages by specifying boutique blends. Here in California we have a lot of them. It is done on purpose to limit fuel use, but it does not. They claim that each small area need a different blend for air pollution, it is not. One would do.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:43 AM   #10

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I am glad that we have two Prius's to offset the high cost of running the RV and pickup truck.
Old 09-18-2021, 03:05 AM   #11

THOR #16721
Most people in the United States would freak if they knew how much oil is subsidized - keeping gasoline prices artificially low.

Remove those subsidies and we'd be paying European prices more in the range of $4.50 - $5.00 per gallon.

The only other countries subsidizing their oil is countries with high oil export potential... and that's looking grim for the U.S.

Like it or not... we've been getting the equivalent of "gasoline food stamps"... but I have a feeling we're about to be weaned off that dependency whether we like it or not.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #12

Model: Miramar 37.1
THOR #12698
I just paid $4.69 for premium at my local Shell station for gasoline. Remember that the refineries seem to always blow up or shut down for repairs every year to increase the cost of fuel when there is a high demand(at least here in California) for our SPECIAL fuel blend.

Paul
Old 09-22-2021, 10:45 PM   #13

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Prices in Idaho have dropped a little. We are always near the highest ($3.75 now)…except for the left coast enclaves.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:43 AM   #14

State: Texas
THOR #22431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Most people in the United States would freak if they knew how much oil is subsidized - keeping gasoline prices artificially low.

Remove those subsidies and we'd be paying European prices more in the range of $4.50 - $5.00 per gallon.

[snipped]
Ummm ... "The average excise duty on gas is €0.56 per liter ($2.48 per gallon) in the European Union, while it is €0.45 per liter ($2.00 per gallon) on diesel." (Tax Foundation) To this you must also add the VAT (value added tax) of 15 to 28 percent. The average retail price of European gasoline (US dollars per gallon) is $6.00 plus. The Netherlands has the highest price at $8.25 per gallon.

The US provides around $4.5 billion in subsidies to fossil fuel producers (not all of that goes to gasoline) annually. We consume around 130 billion gallons of gasoline per year. Just for grins, assume ALL of the subsidy goes to gasoline, that works out to about 3.5 CENTS per gallon!

The higher prices in Europe are due to excessive taxation!
Old 09-23-2021, 02:11 AM   #15

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDopp View Post
Ummm ... "The average excise duty on gas is €0.56 per liter ($2.48 per gallon) in the European Union, while it is €0.45 per liter ($2.00 per gallon) on diesel." (Tax Foundation) To this you must also add the VAT (value added tax) of 15 to 28 percent. The average retail price of European gasoline (US dollars per gallon) is $6.00 plus. The Netherlands has the highest price at $8.25 per gallon.

The US provides around $4.5 billion in subsidies to fossil fuel producers (not all of that goes to gasoline) annually. We consume around 130 billion gallons of gasoline per year. Just for grins, assume ALL of the subsidy goes to gasoline, that works out to about 3.5 CENTS per gallon!

The higher prices in Europe are due to excessive taxation!
So... I underestimated a little. One thing I haven't underestimated is the absolutely HORRIBLE condition of the freeway system in the U.S. I've been driving on various freeways for 50 years now... and freeways today are the worst I've ever seen. I guess that fuel tax shown on every gasoline pump in Ohio (39¢ / gallon) is either a lie... or We the People are being duped??? That's a LOT of cash going somewhere... Sounds like a little "back door cash" to keep prices artificially low... then tax working people to make up the revenue shortage? It's SO easy to scam Americans - and they have such short memories!
Old 09-23-2021, 02:32 AM   #16

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So... I underestimated a little. One thing I haven't underestimated is the absolutely HORRIBLE condition of the freeway system in the U.S. I've been driving on various freeways for 50 years now... and freeways today are the worst I've ever seen. I guess that fuel tax shown on every gasoline pump in Ohio (39¢ / gallon) is either a lie... or We the People are being duped??? That's a LOT of cash going somewhere... Sounds like a little "back door cash" to keep prices artificially low... then tax working people to make up the revenue shortage? It's SO easy to scam Americans - and they have such short memories!
That's because gas tax doesn't got into "road and bridge fund" it goes into the general fund to pay for things like health care for illegals, dubious art projects and any other pork crap a state politician chooses.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:52 AM   #17

THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
That's because gas tax doesn't got into "road and bridge fund" it goes into the general fund to pay for things like health care for illegals, dubious art projects and any other pork crap a state politician chooses.
And those fossil fuel subsidies have funded many 70+ year old (unnamed) politicians... and somehow they keep getting reelected!! Methinks a whole lot of "higher ups" are getting wealthy courtesy of their cozy relationship with politicians... and not from dubious art projects. It's a big "back scratching" club... and we ain't in it!! But we PAY for it.

By the way... they dumped Social Security into the General Fund too... so politicians can "borrow"... then claim the fund is running out. Any cookie jar will eventually be empty if you pilfer long enough... Again - those short memories.