Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37KT
State: Texas
THOR #2871
First "Shake Down Cruise" Results

Today I returned from a short (220 miles roundtrip) trip to the 4-day FMCA Six State Rally in Conroe, TX. I had checked the coach out as best I could before the trip but discovered a few things while on the trip. I am listing them to see if any of you have any comments, suggestions, or answers:

1. The Dash Instrument Cluster is not lighted, even with the headlights turned on. I tried all the light switches and the dimmer switch to no avail. Had trouble seeing the panel in the daylight due to glare. No problem with the small LCD display. Shouldn't the panel be lighted?

2. Mirroring with iPhone and Axerra radio didn't work. I have the Apple Digital AV Adapter for the HDMI and Lightning cables. Tried everything I could think of but could never get my iPhone display to be mirrored on the Axerra display. Also, there was no power from the USB outlet (iPhone would not charge) so probably the HDMI and USB connectors aren't wired into the Axerra receiver.

3. Hot Water. There was none. Tried water heater on gas alone, electricity alone, plus gas and electric together but never got more than lukewarm water (wonderful shower!) from the tap.

4. The "entertainment seating" reclined very easily (just pull the lever and BANG) but was VERY, VERY hard to move it back to the "up" position. The seat almost tilted over forward when I tried to push down the leg rest while seated. There seems to be way too much tension on the springs. I had to get out of chair and to push down the leg rest. Also, I discovered that the seating was not anchored to the floor as it should have been (hence, almost tilting over forward). There was a bracket for securing it to the floor but there were no screws in the bracket.

5. I had a bit of a problem with the rear roof ladder. The bottom step of the ladder is now bent backward (and almost broken off) from dragging when I pulled into my drive way. The back end did drag a bit, which was never a problem with my previous motorhome as the ladder was not as low plus there was a skid plate under the hitch. I don't see a skid plate on the Thor. Now I'll have to hack-saw the bottom rung from the ladder!

6. When preparing to leave the rally this morning one of the patio awnings did not want to come in. I finally pushed it with a mop handle while my wife held down the switch. It finally came in. Tried it again when I got home and it worked fine. Who knows.

7. A very loud "BANG" scared the dickens out of us as we pulled onto my home street. I stopped and we looked around. The metal fireplace trim frame had fallen off the front of the fireplace onto the floor. Wasn't put on properly.

Would love to hear your comments. Thanks.

2015 Ford Focus
rbmartiniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
I hope these will repaired under your warranty, also. I hope your trip was just as good.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:18 PM   #3

State: Michigan
THOR #2628
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
Today I returned from a short (220 miles roundtrip) trip to the 4-day FMCA Six State Rally in Conroe, TX. I had checked the coach out as best I could before the trip but discovered a few things while on the trip. I am listing them to see if any of you have any comments, suggestions, or answers:

1. The Dash Instrument Cluster is not lighted, even with the headlights turned on. I tried all the light switches and the dimmer switch to no avail. Had trouble seeing the panel in the daylight due to glare. No problem with the small LCD display. Shouldn't the panel be lighted?

2. Mirroring with iPhone and Axerra radio didn't work. I have the Apple Digital AV Adapter for the HDMI and Lightning cables. Tried everything I could think of but could never get my iPhone display to be mirrored on the Axerra display. Also, there was no power from the USB outlet (iPhone would not charge) so probably the HDMI and USB connectors aren't wired into the Axerra receiver. **I have the same issue, get a software update from Axerra. Call them**

3. Hot Water. There was none. Tried water heater on gas alone, electricity alone, plus gas and electric together but never got more than lukewarm water (wonderful shower!) from the tap.

4. The "entertainment seating" reclined very easily (just pull the lever and BANG) but was VERY, VERY hard to move it back to the "up" position. The seat almost tilted over forward when I tried to push down the leg rest while seated. There seems to be way too much tension on the springs. I had to get out of chair and to push down the leg rest. Also, I discovered that the seating was not anchored to the floor as it should have been (hence, almost tilting over forward). There was a bracket for securing it to the floor but there were no screws in the bracket.

5. I had a bit of a problem with the rear roof ladder. The bottom step of the ladder is now bent backward (and almost broken off) from dragging when I pulled into my drive way. The back end did drag a bit, which was never a problem with my previous motorhome as the ladder was not as low plus there was a skid plate under the hitch. I don't see a skid plate on the Thor. Now I'll have to hack-saw the bottom rung from the ladder! ** I have heard other owners having the same issue, I think some have cut off the bottom rung. I use a telescoping ladder to access the roof. Its a better set up**

6. When preparing to leave the rally this morning one of the patio awnings did not want to come in. I finally pushed it with a mop handle while my wife held down the switch. It finally came in. Tried it again when I got home and it worked fine. Who knows. **make sure everything is lines up**

7. A very loud "BANG" scared the dickens out of us as we pulled onto my home street. I stopped and we looked around. The metal fireplace trim frame had fallen off the front of the fireplace onto the floor. Wasn't put on properly.

Would love to hear your comments. Thanks.
I had a list of items as well, like Rear AC did not blow cold air, Fridge stopped working, Inverter was broken to name a few. All fixed under warranty.

Good Luck KC
Old 10-12-2015, 05:18 PM   #4

Model: Chateau 35SK
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2366
With regards to the hot water, make sure the knobs on the outside shower are turned off and the button on the handle isn't in the off position. If both knobs are turned on and button is in the off (doesn't let water flow) position, the cold and hot will circulate and you will only get lukewarm water.

Fred
Old 10-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #5

THOR #2628
I think there is a switch on the hot water heater
Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
Ids the water heater bypass turned off?
Old 10-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

THOR #2871
Thanks everyone.

I will call Axxera for the software update.

I don't know where the water heater bypass is so don't know if it is on or off. The only hot water heater switches are the LP and 110V switches on the panel inside the coach. Not sure which position is ON or OFF so have tried both positions. The "Pilot Light Off" light is not lit so it thinks the pilot is on (??). The circuit breaker is not tripped. The water heater is dead. Cold to the touch. I will check the outdoor shower to make sure the knobs are turned to off.

Thanks.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 10-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #8

THOR #2871
Oh, forgot. Should the Ford instrument panel be lighted?
2015 Ford Focus
Old 10-12-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Arizona
THOR #2878
We have a 2012 Thor Serrano and the valves for the bypass are in the water heater compartment. I do not know if the challenger has the same thing. Good Luck and hope you find the problem. Sometimes it can be very challenging figuring out how all of the bells and whistles work when you are referencing an generic owners manual.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:44 PM   #10

Model: Chateau 35SK
THOR #2366
To find the bypass for the water heater, first look at where the water heater is located. There is usually a panel or door on the inside of the RV that needs to be removed to access the bypass. The bypass can be one valve or a couple of valves depending on the installation. When a valve is open, it is usually in line with the line. When a valve is closed, it usually cuts across the line. Trace the flow to make sure the water supply goes into the heater and is not bypassed.

Fred
Old 10-12-2015, 08:34 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
THOR #2601
Go to Thor customer service website and ask for the fresh water construction plan for your year, make, and model. Send them the VIN. The drawing will help you locate the valves.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:50 PM   #12

Model: Chateau 23U
State: California
THOR #1490
The instrument panel should be lite when the lights are on. Is there a dimmerswitch? The hot water heater has a panel which is healed in place with two screws. mine was under the fridge.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM   #13

THOR #2871
I found the water heater bypass valve. It is in the outside bay with the plumbing connections. It is set on "Normal" as opposed to "Bypass".
2015 Ford Focus
Old 10-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #14

THOR #2628
There also is a set of valves (I think) under the bed, at the head in the rear compartment behind a wood panel.

KC
Old 10-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #15
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
On my ND there is a set of by-pass valves on the water heater. I have to remove the lower drawer under the closet to access them. BTW, both by-pass systems do work.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:58 PM   #16

THOR #2601
Updates for the Axxera radio is available on their website. There are 2 files that require updating. Be sure to download the instructions -- it is not as simple as just plugging in the memory sticks.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM   #17

THOR #2871
Thanks, under the bed is one place I haven't looked.
2015 Ford Focus
Old 10-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #18
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmartiniv View Post
Oh, forgot. Should the Ford instrument panel be lighted?
Robert

Only when the light switch is in one of the one positions for parking or headlights.

I noticed during my long weekend trip that after driving for awhile the eyes get adjusted to the exterior brightness and it makes the instrument panel had to see. I had to turn on the headlights so I could read the gauges, to include speedometer, while driving.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #19

THOR #2601
I do the same as Dave -- drive with headlights on and the dash is lit making it easier to see the gauges
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
Old 10-15-2015, 08:31 PM   #20

State: North Carolina
THOR #2107
Hi bevedfelker!

I'm curious if you had any luck unzipping (actually it's a rar file) one of the two Axxera radio files. After downloading, one unzips no problem but the other will not and I get a nag that the file is corrupt. Sent a note to the Axxera folks but got no reply.

Also, I was able to get a remote free from them by providing the radio serial number found on the Thor equipment listing and explaining it was not OEM with my coach. If you didn't get one, you might try it!

Thanks.