Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2021, 01:16 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #22559
First time buyer, ACE 30.3 a good start?

Will be RVing with wife, son, and in laws. FIL is a recently-retired semi truck driver, so we'll have someone onboard with big truck driving experience.

That said, is the ACE a good starter vehicle if you've the money? Is there something else you'd recommend if budget allows a $50k-75k increase? Want to stay below 32'.

Seems the 2022s are coming in for delivery at dealers now, but obviously it's too early for information on them. Anyone know of any changes made between the two years?

Thanks to this forum we've already got the Safe T Plus units in mind as a priority installation (FIL probably won't need them, though!). I have in mind to add two 200-watt solar panels. Anything else you'd recommend as a must-have upgrade, especially for first-time RVers?

Old 03-16-2021, 01:32 AM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum, and to the start of a really great adventure!
Old 03-16-2021, 02:03 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Thor vegas 25.6
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:25 PM   #4

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are ahead of the game with your preplanning. Good luck and enjoy.

Paul
Old 03-16-2021, 02:35 PM   #5

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
We looked at the ace before we settled on a hurricane. We moved up to the hurricane because it added the firefly multiplexer and a few other "comforts" that the ace didn't have. I.e our bed over the cab holds 500lbs vs the 250lbs of the ace. All in all they are very similar in design. Had I known I would have waited for a 2021 in order to get the new 7.8l V8, but we are happy with our 2020. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-16-2021, 02:53 PM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #17688
My suggestion:

I don't know your situation or experience, but if you've never been camping in a motorhome, rent something close to what you think you'd like and go camping for a long weekend. Learn what it's like to be in a rig and what happens. If you like the experience, go buy a used rig. It will cost less and have most of the initial problems taken care of. You will have fewer headaches and get to know what really makes sense for you. Join a camping club, make some friends and learn and share with them. After that experience, you will be in a much better position to get what you want.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-2021, 05:08 PM   #7

Model: 2015 ACE 30.2
State: Florida
THOR #1287
Think towards future as well as current needs

Family RVing is great fun.
You are smart to ask questions now--buying new and trading in a year or 2 is an expensive learning curve, so it's good to get it right the first time!

The suggestion to rent first is very good--as a newbie it is important to see how you all do in limited space (think small house in half). You will have 4 adults and one youngin' traveling together, so sleeping and underway space is critical.
Most sofa beds are not particularly comfortable for more than weekend trips without added pads, and the pain of making and unmaking the bed is, well, a pain.
The electric "princess" bed doesn't come with a mattress for adult comfort, you would need to replace the foam in the cushions for better support. It can be awkward for adults to sit up and get up and down in the night from "on high". So depending on which beds you will use you will need to make some modifications. All doable, just add them to your true cost.

Also, it is my strongest ever recommendation that you DO NOT plan on using the dinette for regular sleeping. Even if you plan on always eating outdoors (rain, wind, rain & wind) you loose your family space as soon as you put a kid (doesn't fit adults well) to bed. And there is the pain of making and unmaking the bed every day....

At this stage of your family I would encourage you to look at a bunkhouse coach--you can get them under 32 ft. It might be a better fit for the next five years. Your child can go in the bunkbed and still leave the family area for the adults. If your family grows you will still have sleeping space for all, if not you will have extra storage space via the unused bunk. Also, consider looking to a newer used unit as it will have (or should have) the bugs worked out so you, as a newbie, won't need to. Extra bells and whistles can be fun, but they are also one more thing that can breakdown. My general rule is to keep it as simple as your needs allow. It's camping after all!

Sorry to be repetitive, but by all means follow the suggestion to rent different coaches for a weekend to see what really suits your traveling and camping style. Many on this forum say that your first coach is not the right coach, but with careful thought that doesn't need to be the case. Depreciation for trade ins is your enemy.

Please keep us posted with your progress and what you finally buy, even if it is SOB (Some Other Brand). The purchase it just the beginning, there are add-ons such as tire monitors and camping gear in your future as well.
Welcome to the RVing family.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:37 PM   #8

Model: Palazzo 37.4
State: Texas
THOR #22559
Howdy y'all. I've spent the last several weeks researching (even before posting to this forum) chassis, suspensions, sway bars, cheap handling fixes, cargo weight capacities, cabin noise.

I went to local dealer and test drove (well, my FIL did, with me as passenger and wife in the back couch) a Fleetwood Bounder with Sumo Springs and steering stabilizers. To say it was LOUD (wind in cabin, had to raise our voices to talk between driver and passenger) and wobbly is an understatement.

No A.C.E. RVs near my location so I didn't test that, but from researching seems they also have the same issues. Something like LiquidSprings ($20,000 for rear and eventually front tires), airbags and a bunch of other upgrades would be needed to get it to a more comfortable driving experience, and I figured if we're going to shell out this much money may as well immediately go with something that's comfortable out of the dealer.

Test drove the Thor Palazzo 37.5. Very quiet, smooth ride. Some moving side to side when making corner turns but quickly settles back, much faster than the Bounder.

Anyway, long story short: Not getting an A.C.E., got a Palazzo.
Old 03-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #9

THOR #19102
Congrats on the new purchase and let us know how you like the Palazzo.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:03 PM   #10

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase. Enjoy the new life style.

Paul
Old 03-24-2021, 06:36 PM   #11

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
Our first RV was a Vegas 26 foot. It had one slide in the rear end - not on the sides. Our kids and grandkids always wanted to go with us and it would quickly get crowded. After having it for a year I had a better idea of what we needed and what we should look for. We ended up getting an ACE 30.1 - slides on each side. The first time I opened the slide in the living area it felt like we had a dance floor there was so much room.

I would agree about renting one first so you have a better idea of what you want. Also, I wont buy new again for all the reasons mentioned above. Too much time in the shop the first 18 months. Let someone else have these repairs done and then buy it from them when they become too frustrated. I would also suggest talking to the dealer about having an invertor installed. We had one installed after the fact. Now my wife can use the microwave to fix some lunch as we continue to drive, or make coffee. Grandkids put on headphones and watch their movies on TV as we travel. It beats having to start the generator and burn more gas.
Old 03-24-2021, 06:56 PM   #12

THOR #20220
how does the invertor installed pwoer a microwave with no generator or electricity?
Can it be done after market?
Cost?
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
Old 03-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #13

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Oregon
THOR #2766
The inverter takes electricity from the house batteries. When you are driving or the engine is running the engine alternator is producing electricity for the batteries. The inverter takes this DC power and converts it to 110 AC. Many people don't know that the receptacles in your RV usually don't work if you are not hooked up to shore power or have the generator running. We had our inverter, 2000 watts, installed a few months after we bought our rig. But the inverter I had installed was one I ordered from a company in Reno. It was nothing but problems. Every time I had a marine electrician take it back out so I could send it back to Reno to have it checked out he would charge me $200. Then when I got it back - the company always said there was nothing wrong with the inverter the electrician would charge me another $200 to put it back in. This went on multiple times and finally I had enough. I bought an invertor that had high reviews, the Xenon. It was installed by a local service technician for Xenon and we have not had any problems since we went with this brand. Only regret, should have gone for the 3,000 watt invertor. If we use the microwave and the coffee pot at the same time, or the toaster then a breaker on the inverter trips. Depending how many appliances you plan to use at the same time you may want to consider the 3,000 watt or use the generator.

Sorry, long answer to your question.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #14

THOR #20220
Excellent thanks
Old 03-24-2021, 08:14 PM   #15

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #6457
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreminio View Post
Will be RVing with wife, son, and in laws. FIL is a recently-retired semi truck driver, so we'll have someone onboard with big truck driving experience.

That said, is the ACE a good starter vehicle if you've the money? Is there something else you'd recommend if budget allows a $50k-75k increase? Want to stay below 32'.

Seems the 2022s are coming in for delivery at dealers now, but obviously it's too early for information on them. Anyone know of any changes made between the two years?

Thanks to this forum we've already got the Safe T Plus units in mind as a priority installation (FIL probably won't need them, though!). I have in mind to add two 200-watt solar panels. Anything else you'd recommend as a must-have upgrade, especially for first-time RVers?
We bought our 2016 ACE 29.4 brand new and we love it.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #16

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Ace

There’s an old adage that never buy a motor home or boat new, the 1st year you will lose 35 percent of the price you pay.
Find a good used one less than 5 years old , they typically have less than 10,000 miles.
Dealers have jacked the prices up enormously due to COVID, in a few years there will be a ton more used units on the market when folks find out how much work is required for a motor home.
They are not a car that requires little maintenance, they are a house on wheels that requires constant maintenance including mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical.
The quality of new motor homes is very poor as they are put together quickly.
Old 03-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #17

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Well that is quite a leap jtremenio! From thinking about an ACE entry level class A gasser to a Palozzzo class A diesel pusher!
Very nice rig enjoy the journey!
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 03:26 AM   #18

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
My Hurricane came on a 18k chassis the Ace was 16k. But inside you could see the fixtures and trim. Depreciation worse then a Yugo. Unless you have a demanding need for new, which comes with up to 6 months in the shop fixing stuff the first year, I would get a used model or step up to the Hurricane/Windsport series
Old 03-25-2021, 03:27 AM   #19

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: Nevada
THOR #970
tiny house?

what he said

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
There’s an old adage that never buy a motor home or boat new, the 1st year you will lose 35 percent of the price you pay.
Find a good used one less than 5 years old , they typically have less than 10,000 miles.
Dealers have jacked the prices up enormously due to COVID, in a few years there will be a ton more used units on the market when folks find out how much work is required for a motor home.
They are not a car that requires little maintenance, they are a house on wheels that requires constant maintenance including mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, and electrical.
The quality of new motor homes is very poor as they are put together quickly.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:33 PM   #20

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtreminio View Post

The Ace is a good Thor product. Better RV's are out there but if money is tight, they are a good starting point. Like anything, you can get one and NEVER have an issue or the norm is things will be wrong from the get-go and you will always have maintenance and things break. I passed on the Ace cause I'm 6'6" and the windshield was too low at the top. Got a 2018 Windsport 29m and LOVE IT!!!! I'd recommend you look at all the coach's in the length you want and see which works best for your needs. Don't get one too small like I did the first time then trade up. Make sure your first choice is the BEST choice. I'd suggest the Freedom Traveler 30'. You can't get one with a king bed but I really like the floor-plan and the generator is behind the driver side front wheel, not under the bed. How stupid is it for any builder to put the generator under where you sleep????????????????????? Somebody out there explain that to me?? Swap the space for storage and the leveling pump. It can't be that hard; Bob Trice