Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2018, 02:45 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: SOB 2014 Meridian 36M
State: Washington
THOR #7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich&Cathy View Post
We never go below 3/4 of a tank that way we can choose and pick the best gas station for us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Never below 3/4 or you use 3/4. Then be on the lookout for your fuel?

Old 02-02-2018, 02:48 AM   #22

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Bought our Vegas 25.2 last spring. Never drove one before nor had ever towed. Got baptized by fire on our first trip from Arkansas to Florida. Learned quickly to be patient and don’t let others impatience ruin your day. As stated by others scout your fuel stations and take your time. After a few stops it’ll be second nature. Relax and enjoy the ride. Stay safe.
Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:52 AM   #23

Model: Ace 29.3
State: California
THOR #6522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Never below 3/4 or you use 3/4. Then be on the lookout for your fuel?
We use at the most 3/4. But most times it's before we get to 1/4 of a tank. Lol
Old 02-02-2018, 03:09 AM   #24

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Blue Ox Patriot
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 AM   #25

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
We've towed (toad) for the last 42k+ miles. I've run down what I call rabbit holes where I cannot make a turn or nothing to do but unhook and backup. HATE IT. However, given how many fuel stops we've had to make, it just the cost of driving with a toad. I look for Flying J's almost exclusively but if in doubt or we cannot find I look GOOGLE maps.

When we are traveling, gas stops are closely planned using 350 miles as a planning guide and at most 400 miles using GasBuddy app.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:37 AM   #26

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Use truck stops nearly every time for fueling, and normally buy 150 to 175 gallons per stop so have the freedom of being picky.

You results may vary..
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #27

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: New York
THOR #3584
We will be traveling roads like I 40, I 70 etc so we are hoping that theses fuel stations will be RV friendly. Thank you again for this valuable advice.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
We went the other way, towed for years behind a 41 foot DP, ... As far as fueling, I would only fuel at truck stops, ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Use truck stops nearly every time for fueling, and normally buy 150 to 175 gallons per stop so have the freedom of being picky.
Of course for a DP, the truck stops always have more room/clearance/access in the diesel lanes intended for big rigs...

Except for the relatively few with an RV lane, truck stops can be just like any other gas station for gassers...
I've seen independent gas stations with more room than some chain truck stops when it came to access to gas pumps (non-diesel).

Look before you enter... and have an exit strategy in mind... may have to wait for the right pump - but still easier than getting in a 'rabbit hole'.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:16 PM   #29

Model: Windsport 29M
THOR #8264
I'm about to tow for the first time in the spring as well. I've added a new monitor so I can monitor the toad while driving. My newbie question is, how much wider do I have to turn for my toad. Are there any tricks so when I turn my toad doesn't go over a curb or worse side swipe a car?
Old 02-02-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNTR10 View Post
I'm about to tow for the first time in the spring as well. I've added a new monitor so I can monitor the toad while driving. My newbie question is, how much wider do I have to turn for my toad. Are there any tricks so when I turn my toad doesn't go over a curb or worse side swipe a car?
Find a nice big open parking lot and make some turns with it...

Typically as long as you are turning wide enough for your rig (back wheels not going over curb and rig itself not sideswiping anything) - the toad is narrower and locked in to follow your track with the towbar.

Bigger issue is remembering its there when changing lanes/merging... you are significantly longer when towing - and need the clearance behind you.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #31

THOR #1020
As we are planning our route, I often use the site https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/. On that site, use the "Plan A Trip" feature, enter your start and stop THEN go to the "Stores That Have", hit the "+" key and then select "RV Lanes". What the site will then do is show you the route with Flying Js and Pilots that have RV Lanes. You can overlay that data on your trip plan, using your miles per tank info, to plan your fuel stops. Hope this makes it easier.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:09 PM   #32

THOR #3584
Great, thank you
Old 02-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #33

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
As we are planning our route, I often use the site https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/. On that site, use the "Plan A Trip" feature, enter your start and stop THEN go to the "Stores That Have", hit the "+" key and then select "RV Lanes". What the site will then do is show you the route with Flying Js and Pilots that have RV Lanes. You can overlay that data on your trip plan, using your miles per tank info, to plan your fuel stops. Hope this makes it easier.
Thanks, that helps alot
Old 02-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #34

State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvfigs View Post
I have the Ready Brake brute...simple and effective.
Thanks, this is the system we have been looking at.
Old 02-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #35

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by suenmike View Post
Although we have owned a motorhome for many years, we have never towed a vehicle, just rented upon arrival at the campground. We are soon retiring and will be towing a Dodge Ram 1500. The question is this, what are the tricks to fueling up with a vehicle in tow? I’m sure there are stories out there and I want to learn from others who got into difficult situations. In a perfect world there would be fuel pumps set off to the side just for campers, but that’s not usually the case. Thank you
We tow our Jeep JK a lot and I just scout the pumps out (drive in slow) and plan to drive thru (you can't backup with a toad). With the exception of not be able back-up its like fueling the old 39ft DP we had. We like truck stops (price and size) but we use Costco locally all the time. On my RV I use the rear camera to line me up - when I just see the pump come into view I'm good.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #36

THOR #3584
Definitely saved the flying J app, thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 01:04 PM   #37

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
I do pretty much like bigben as far as using the Pilot/Flying J app on my I-phone. When we had our Challenger along with a 15' trailer it was at times difficult to gas up. I pre-planned and usually could locate a Flying J with RV lanes.

The further west you go the less chance you will be finding any type of gas station with dedicated RV lanes. We just kept our eye out for rural exits that had a gas station that didn't look busy.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #38

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-FL View Post
I do pretty much like bigben as far as using the Pilot/Flying J app on my I-phone. When we had our Challenger along with a 15' trailer it was at times difficult to gas up. I pre-planned and usually could locate a Flying J with RV lanes.

The further west you go the less chance you will be finding any type of gas station with dedicated RV lanes. We just kept our eye out for rural exits that had a gas station that didn't look busy.
Speaking of out west, San Diego county is the worst for finding stations who can handle RVs
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #39

THOR #1020
Baddad53 - couldn't agree more about some areas - to include San Diego. At times I have left campgrounds early on our travel day, gone to a fuel station, filled up with gas and then gone back to hook up toad. Pain the butt but DW doesn't drive well. Not worth the aggravation of running dow a "rabbit hole".
Old 04-14-2018, 01:31 AM   #40

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
We over plan our fuel stops.

We look for truck stops, but if a gas station, usually newer with lots of pumps, with easy access and very easy exit shows up we stop.
I use Google Earth a lot!
We usually don't stop if the far right pumps don't have a good exit.
We are considerate of other customers, don't want to have any lines of people trying to enter or exir.

A couple of rules for towing.
1. Never backup, not even a few feet.
2. DO NOT violate rule #1, the steering on your pickup will appreciate it.
I know it's too much to ask, but have any of the RV makers thought about putting a side camera more or less above the RVs fuel cap, so the driver can park the first time within reach of the gas pump hose? My fuel cap does not stick out at all and is hidden so well... Wife in the car behind me has to tell me to move it foward most times.