Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Cason61 - not being a wise guy here, but it just takes a bit of practice. Thor moved the gas fill to the rear on our coach. Thank you Thor - it doesn't help, if anything it simply makes it that much more difficult. So, after 3 years and 39k+ miles I generally get right the first time. I look for the position of the pump in the rear camera.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 AM   #42

Model: Axis 25.3
State: California
THOR #2526
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2016vegas View Post
You should have no trouble. First and foremost have a written or mental checklist of what needs to be done.
Level ground or car tires chocked
Connect the towbar to the car and lock the pins in place,
Connect the power cable from the RV to the car (check enough slack and secure).
Connect the safety chains (Crossed under towbar).
Connect breakaway cable.
Connect supplemental brake (and test specific to the break).
Put car in neutral and hand brake off.
Remove chock (if used)
Check tail lights by turning on hazards in RV.

I use a battery maintainer for the car battery powered from the 7 pin connector from RV.
The toad follows the track of the RV,so, anywhere the RV can go is safe to assume the car is fine.
Trickiest places as filling stations if you have a gas RV. A Loves, TA, or pilot stop always has enough room. Flying J has a dedicated RV pump island. Other than that just pay attention to what lanes are open, and the exit plan. Worse case scenario is you might have to unhook (which takes less than 2 minutes) and reconnect after fueling, but I've never had to...
Your going to like having your toad with you!
Excellent ck list [emoji3]
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 PM   #43

State: Arizona
THOR #7580
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
As we are planning our route, I often use the site https://pilotflyingj.com/store-locator/. On that site, use the "Plan A Trip" feature, enter your start and stop THEN go to the "Stores That Have", hit the "+" key and then select "RV Lanes". What the site will then do is show you the route with Flying Js and Pilots that have RV Lanes. You can overlay that data on your trip plan, using your miles per tank info, to plan your fuel stops. Hope this makes it easier.

Went to the site, but couldn't get it to I'd route and RV lane sites. I'm getting a nation wide list. What do you push after selecting RV lanes?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:32 PM   #44
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanford View Post
Went to the site, but couldn't get it to I'd route and RV lane sites. I'm getting a nation wide list. What do you push after selecting RV lanes?
Click on that link then under "Find a location" you'll see "Stores that have" click on the + next to that and check off "RV Fuel Lanes".
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #45

THOR #7580
Got it! Thanks
Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 AM   #46

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
I need to get some help and some advice I just recently purchased a 2014 Honda CRV and installed the blue ox base plate and the Blue ox Alpha towbar and currently working on putting in the stay and play brake system my question is is it safe to assume in the process of getting ready to toe I first hook up to the towbar run their requirements that Honda requires turn on the brake system and we should be ready to go right and reverse that order the disconnect

I read through all of the threads and this will be the first time I towed with a motorhome I have a class c 2014 freedom elite 30L
any any advice or help I will appreciate it
Old 08-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #47
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones3211 View Post
I need to get some help and some advice I just recently purchased a 2014 Honda CRV and installed the blue ox base plate and the Blue ox Alpha towbar and currently working on putting in the stay and play brake system my question is is it safe to assume in the process of getting ready to toe I first hook up to the towbar run their requirements that Honda requires turn on the brake system and we should be ready to go right and reverse that order the disconnect

I read through all of the threads and this will be the first time I towed with a motorhome I have a class c 2014 freedom elite 30L
any any advice or help I will appreciate it
Make yourself a checklist for your setup... At high level you've got it - but the devil is in the details.
Towbar, safety chains, wire connections, braking system, vehicle prep.

Maybe the obvious - but insure the car is always in gear and/or e-brake on when connecting/disconnecting towbar - don't want to be chasing the toad from the outside.

Be sure to follow Honda's instructions for your vehicle.

On my Jeep - one of the simplest to set up to tow in my opinion - there is still a specific sequence to get transmission in Park and transfer case in Neutral (shifting in and out of Park with transfer case neutral and engine running is a 'no no'... Have to have the engine off to safely do so in my case.) There is an index card in Jeep with engage/disengage instructions - both to remind me and in case someone else needs to do it.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #48

THOR #7580
I agree with gmc. The devil is in the details. In my case, I got injured on a trip a few years ago, and had to rely on my dw to do what I normally did. It would have been a great help if we had a written guide.
Old 08-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #49

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
I agree with most comments about fueling... If no RV lane go to outside pump on the right then turn right across store front when leaving. Easier to keep an eye on drivers side of coach. Dive in pumps can be a bear but if they are double stacked it's easier to navigate. The older style parallel pumps can be much easier but you block half their pumps.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #50

Model: Freedom Elite 31L
State: Georgia
THOR #4938
I created a checklist let me know if I missing something or I shouldn’t move something around please

Towing checklist

1 Check transmission fluid in car
make sure level is between the upper and the lower mark

2 Park car behind motorhome put it in park and shut the engine off

3 Connect towbar

4 Connect safety cables electrical cord and breakaway cable

5 Start car

6 Hold brake and move shift lever through all positions

7 Shift to D position and hold for five seconds then to N position and let Engine run for three minutes then turn off

8 Release brakes

9 Leave key in the accessory I position
In sure that steering is not locked

10 Switch fuse bypass switch to tow position
Make sure that all electrical devices is turned off

11 Turn on brake system

12 Perform walk around and insure that all lights are working properly and everything is connected and secured