Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisoldman View Post
Although the chassis manufacturer performs alignments on the bare chassis before it leaves their factory, they certainly cannot be held liable for alterations to that alignment that occur as a result of Thor adding thousands of unevenly distributed pounds during the coach build-up process. And since newly built motorhomes are driven from the manufacturing facility to the dealership rather than being ferried to their destination via car carrier, there's plenty of opportunity for even a perfectly aligned suspension to drift (or get whacked!) out of spec as the result of hundreds or even thousands of miles of driving over pothole-filled roads -- not to mention the possibility of hard contact with a curb or two along the way.

While it strikes me as unconscionable that Thor would not perform alignments at their plant after building up a coach, it would not surprise me at all to learn that Thor does in fact perform alignments before coaches leave their facility but understandably wash their hands of any responsibility for misalignment via a warranty provision.

In a better world, motorhome dealers would have the equipment necessary to check and perform alignments in their service departments, but dealerships of this caliber are few and far between.
Jayco has it written in their warranty that they will perform an alignment and/or tire balancing if an issue is discovered and reported during the road test. After the road test it is the owner’s responsibility. The dealer had our coach aligned, steering wheel straightened, and balanced before we took delivery. I placed in the purchase agreement that the invoice had to be provided at the PDI. The dealer now has an alignment machine but sends most Super Cs and Diesel pushers to the Freightliner dealer for alignments.

Old 06-30-2021, 07:12 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I just got off the phone with Chevy and after two months of phone calls, they couldn’t find a dealership that could do the alignment on my FW 28A so they agreed to reimburse me! Yippee!
So, tomorrow I'm going to get the alignment done on our FW 28A. If anyone has a motorcoach on a Chevy chassis that is under warranty that needs an alignment, make the call!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 05:31 PM   #23

THOR #21941
Quote:
So, tomorrow I'm going to get the alignment done on our FW 28A. If anyone has a motorcoach on a Chevy chassis that is under warranty that needs an alignment, make the call!
UPDATE: Got the alignment done and man, what a difference. I don't feel like I have to turn the steering wheel half a turn to adjust.

I asked them to put a +5 caster and they did +4.5 in the left and +5 in the right. They said it was set at -2 and I should see a big improvement in handling. They weren't wrong!

We talked about sway bars, shocks and Sumo Springs. All are coming!

Happy trails!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 07-01-2021, 08:47 PM   #24

State: Maryland
THOR #22634
Quote:
UPDATE: Got the alignment done and man, what a difference. I don't feel like I have to turn the steering wheel half a turn to adjust.

I asked them to put a +5 caster and they did +4.5 in the left and +5 in the right. They said it was set at -2 and I should see a big improvement in handling. They weren't wrong!

We talked about sway bars, shocks and Sumo Springs. All are coming!

Happy trails!

What sort of shop did the alignment? A truck type place? Our new Chateau 22 pulls right as well, and vibrates at 70-75mph, so looking to get an alignment, but not sure where to go.
Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #25

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cw_chateau View Post
What sort of shop did the alignment? A truck type place? Our new Chateau 22 pulls right as well, and vibrates at 70-75mph, so looking to get an alignment, but not sure where to go.
This is an alignment shop that can do RVs. They also do suspension (sway bars, shocks) work. I'd contact your dealer so see who they refer folks to.

Vibration at 70-75 sounds like a tire balance issue to me.

Old 07-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #26

State: Maryland
THOR #22634
Good point on the possible balance issue...thanks!
Old 07-02-2021, 01:11 AM   #27
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Glad to read that you're happier than a dog with a new pig ear to chew on.