Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2021, 02:51 AM   #1
dlt

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #23753
Fix steering wheel off center under warranty?

Got the new RV a week ago, found the steering wheel off 10 degrees while drive straight line.

Went to Chevy dealer today, I was told I will be charged about $170 for fixing this. Anyone know if this should be under warranty?

Old 06-11-2021, 04:14 AM   #2

Model: Damon Daybreak
State: New Mexico
THOR #19133
Doesn't matter what we think. What does your dealer say? Call several dealers in your area and ask the question.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #3

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Don't know for absolutely sure on your model, but the 3 we have had (2 Fleetwoods and 1 Thor) have stated in the new owners paperwork that they recommend getting an alignment done after you load you coach (on your dime). The chassis manufacturer does a preliminary alignment prior to the house being installed. They cannot set it up for all the weight the coach builder adds, nor what you add. I have had ours all done at a truck shop for about $100-$125.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:40 AM   #4
dlt

THOR #23753
This sounds make sense, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1noel View Post
Don't know for absolutely sure on your model, but the 3 we have had (2 Fleetwoods and 1 Thor) have stated in the new owners paperwork that they recommend getting an alignment done after you load you coach (on your dime). The chassis manufacturer does a preliminary alignment prior to the house being installed. They cannot set it up for all the weight the coach builder adds, nor what you add. I have had ours all done at a truck shop for about $100-$125.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:41 AM   #5
dlt

THOR #23753
That is the only chevy dealer around can service my RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryS View Post
Doesn't matter what we think. What does your dealer say? Call several dealers in your area and ask the question.
Old 06-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlt View Post
Got the new RV a week ago, found the steering wheel off 10 degrees while drive straight line.

Went to Chevy dealer today, I was told I will be charged about $170 for fixing this. Anyone know if this should be under warranty?
My owners manual states that if an issue is reported during the test drive, prior to sale, the manufacturer (Jayco) will have the coach aligned. After the test drive it is the owners responsibility for the alignment. The dealer took my coach to the Freightliner dealer for an alignment, tire balancing and wheel straightening before we accepted the coach.

Our prior Thor, as already mentioned, was Thor recommending an alignment after the coach was loaded. I got my done by the Ford dealer before the end of the first year of the chassis warranty.

I suggest you read your Chevy warranty and see how they treat alignments.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Have you scheduled an alignment yet?
The shop may be willing to re-align your steering wheel after they get done fiddling with the front end...
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:29 PM   #8

State: Alabama
THOR #22687
I thought straightening the wheel was a part of the alignment process?
Old 06-11-2021, 02:07 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Agreed!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:12 PM   #10
dlt

THOR #23753
I did put the RV in chevy dealer service department yesterday for this and "Service StabiliTrak" warning. I thought it was a quick job, but they asked me to go home and I have not heard back from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Have you scheduled an alignment yet?
The shop may be willing to re-align your steering wheel after they get done fiddling with the front end...
Good luck!
Old 06-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #11

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
After my alignment the steering wheel was off 45* took tech 3 minutes to fixed. All it is on ford is remove set screw. Pop steering arm out of housing, then me turning steering to proper place, then reinstall steering arm and set screw

My friend who is not mechanically inclined did his in about 1 hour after I explained what to do

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 06:02 PM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by standerson View Post
I thought straightening the wheel was a part of the alignment process?
Yes and no. Minor through tow in or tow out. Major adjustments through steering arm and gear box.
Old 06-11-2021, 06:21 PM   #13

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Pay now or pay later!
The alignment, which is probably needed once the rv is loaded, is $170 now vs $200+ for 2 front tires + the alignment later.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:14 PM   #14

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
I just got off the phone with Chevy and after two months of phone calls, they couldn’t find a dealership that could do the alignment on my FW 28A so they agreed to reimburse me! Yippee!

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:47 PM   #15
dlt

THOR #23753
Did you see "service stabilitrak" warning before you do alignment?
My steering wheel off about 10 degrees, and sometime I see "service stabilitrak" on the dashboard. Also I feel the RV can't stay on the straight line when the speed over 60 or 65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I just got off the phone with Chevy and after two months of phone calls, they couldn’t find a dealership that could do the alignment on my FW 28A so they agreed to reimburse me! Yippee!
Old 06-11-2021, 11:33 PM   #16

THOR #21941
Quote:
Did you see "service stabilitrak" warning before you do alignment?
My steering wheel off about 10 degrees, and sometime I see "service stabilitrak" on the dashboard. Also I feel the RV can't stay on the straight line when the speed over 60 or 65.
I don't have the stabilitrak error. My FW 28A drifts to the right. Thor refused to do the alignment. Battled with Chevy, kept bugging them. They are going to reimburse me when I get it done. Gonna have a front sway bar and either helper springs or sway bar put in the back, then have the alignment done.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 01:42 AM   #17
dlt

THOR #23753
Just got back from chevy, they said they can't do alignment due to RV manufacture incorrectly installed something. Seems there are long way to go to make it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
I don't have the stabilitrak error. My FW 28A drifts to the right. Thor refused to do the alignment. Battled with Chevy, kept bugging them. They are going to reimburse me when I get it done. Gonna have a front sway bar and either helper springs or sway bar put in the back, then have the alignment done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3016.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	31296  
Old 06-12-2021, 01:51 AM   #18

THOR #21941
I was happy until I read the email they sent me. They are giving me 5 DAYS to get it done! The place I called is a week and a half out for alignments. The battle continues.
Old 06-17-2021, 02:13 AM   #19

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Minnesota
THOR #4198
Quote:

I had the same issue with my ACE. I called Thor and the steering gets out of alingment when they are building them at times. It is an oissue they are aware of. They told me to have that fixed and they would cover that. I went to a Ford dealer that can work on the large chassis. It was a simple fix.

Call Thor first to get it approved and get that scheduled. Alingment won't fix it.

John
RadioRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 09:49 AM   #20

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Rhode Island
THOR #19146
Although the chassis manufacturer performs alignments on the bare chassis before it leaves their factory, they certainly cannot be held liable for alterations to that alignment that occur as a result of Thor adding thousands of unevenly distributed pounds during the coach build-up process. And since newly built motorhomes are driven from the manufacturing facility to the dealership rather than being ferried to their destination via car carrier, there's plenty of opportunity for even a perfectly aligned suspension to drift (or get whacked!) out of spec as the result of hundreds or even thousands of miles of driving over pothole-filled roads -- not to mention the possibility of hard contact with a curb or two along the way.

While it strikes me as unconscionable that Thor would not perform alignments at their plant after building up a coach, it would not surprise me at all to learn that Thor does in fact perform alignments before coaches leave their facility but understandably wash their hands of any responsibility for misalignment via a warranty provision.

In a better world, motorhome dealers would have the equipment necessary to check and perform alignments in their service departments, but dealerships of this caliber are few and far between.