Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2019, 08:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #12206
Flat tow question

We have a 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 23H and are purchasing a 2014 Honda CR-V ~~~weight 3027. Does this need a braking system? Our planned use is in Fl, southern Texas, NM and AZ no mountain state use, etc. I have watched countless YouTube pics as to flat tow of these CR-V's and they all focus on Blue Ox tow bar setups, setting the ignition to "accessory on" but never address any braking systems. Am I missing something? Any info greatly appreciated as we're VERY new at this.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite24FE
State: Texas
THOR #12434
A toad brake system is nice to have, even required in many states.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #3

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatervilleBob View Post
We have a 2015 Thor Freedom Elite 23H and are purchasing a 2014 Honda CR-V ~~~weight 3027. Does this need a braking system? Our planned use is in Fl, southern Texas, NM and AZ no mountain state use, etc. I have watched countless YouTube pics as to flat tow of these CR-V's and they all focus on Blue Ox tow bar setups, setting the ignition to "accessory on" but never address any braking systems. Am I missing something? Any info greatly appreciated as we're VERY new at this.

Yes, you need a braking system for your CRV. In most places it’s required by law and even if it weren’t your coach and hitch will thank you and it might even save your life in an emergency stop. Unfortunately, it’s an expensive proposition.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:08 PM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no, you don't 'need' a toad braking system, but the question is more of your own feelings about safety, weight, braking distance, stopping distance, etc...

- while some states may have laws about certain sizes/weights of towed vehicles or trailers having their own 'braking' systems, few have any way to monitor or control it, and it's doubtful that any authorities ever 'check' to see, though I suppose it's possible. Generally these rules only apply to residents of that state - there's no way the state could monitor or mandate this for all vehicles simply passing thru their borders.

Towing Laws | Brake Buddy®

everyone who RVs with a toad or trailer will have a differing opinion, as the 'requirements' by states can be vague, many tow cars don't fall under any rules for additional braking, and many RVs are large enough to easily stop themselves and any toad or trailer, regardless of additional braking systems... some folks will never even consider whether they need one and will tow for years with no issues. If you've traveled this country enough, you'll have seen 'it all' in a few short years - even asking yourself "how do they do that!"...

Get one if it makes you feel better, or if you feel your state requires it, or it will just let you sleep better at night...there are plenty to choose from.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #5

THOR #12206
Flat tow brake systems

Replies much appreciated. Our trip last Fall over 6 months and 14,000 miles most if not all small cars did not have braking systems, not so larger jeeps, SUV, etc. Fl requires one from what we have seen above 4,000 lbs. Thanks to all for your comments.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #6

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Alabama
THOR #3721
I have an Acme tow system and it comes standard with hydraulic surge breaks that do not require electric brakes and work great.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by f troop 8th cav View Post
I have an Acme tow system and it comes standard with hydraulic surge breaks that do not require electric brakes and work great.
The Acme tow dolly? If so that isn't flat towing (I have one too).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:40 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
There will always be debates on if a toad needs a braking system. Some will say the state laws use the word "trailer" and the tow is a car and registered as such. Others will say even with the toad their coach still has enough brake capacity to safely stop within the Federal distance requirements, and so on.

I get straight to the point, if I can add 3500 or so pounds to my coach and not increase the distance required to stop in an emergency then that would be a good thing, right? There ain't a whole lot of anything besides air between my kneecaps and and the world when driving so keeping my stopping distance as small as possible is a primary goal.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #9

THOR #12206
Thank you to all who replied. We have managed to get a Blue ox system and Patriot Brake kit so all is good. All in $825.00 used so not bad. We believe it is money well spent.

Car packed ready to travel is 3,270 lbs. all in with a full tank of gas. Can anyone share the formula to convert this to hitch weight? I've looked alot of places and can't find how to figure this. It cannot be pound to pound otherwise the RV would have no water, LP gas, clothes or us to be under GVW! I must be looking in all the wrong places!

We did a short 160-mile trial tow run and learned very quickly our little 25 ft Thor with a Ford V-10 pulls our CR-V as if it's not even there. Very happy we went with the brake system as it works like a charm and RV stops just as it did with nothing attached.

Thanks in advance for any direction.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:11 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
The weight of the toad is not included in the towing vehicle's GVW, it is included in the towing vehicle's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight (GCVW).
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #11

THOR #6826
That’s correct. Find your yellow sticker near the drivers seat. You’ll see a number called the GVWR and you seem to be already familiar with it, not sure what it is on a class C but probably something like 14,000lbs. A few lines below on the yellow sticker you’ll find the rating for GCWR (the C stands for “combined”) and that will be about 22,000lbs (I think). The difference is your towing capacity. Keep the hitch rating in mind though I think that will be either 5,000 or 8,000lbs so your car is well in spec. Looks like you’re good to go!
Old 04-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #12

THOR #12206
Many Thanks!

GCWR is 18,500. With RV totally loaded up and ready to go with full LP and water(normally we run with just 1/3 until out West) with both of us we're all in at 11,450. With the CR-V loaded at 3,270, all in we're at 14,720.00. Lots of room for more "stuff" lbs. wise (not). Last year we were on the road for just over 6 months and got rid of ALOT of stuff we just did not use. Over time we'll get better. Looking forward to having the CR-V and parking The Beast as not having a car was a real PITA.

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,R
Old 04-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #13

THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatervilleBob View Post
Many Thanks!

GCWR is 18,500. With RV totally loaded up and ready to go with full LP and water(normally we run with just 1/3 until out West) with both of us we're all in at 11,450. With the CR-V loaded at 3,270, all in we're at 14,720.00. Lots of room for more "stuff" lbs. wise (not). Last year we were on the road for just over 6 months and got rid of ALOT of stuff we just did not use. Over time we'll get better. Looking forward to having the CR-V and parking The Beast as not having a car was a real PITA.

Thanks for your comment.

Regards,R

You’re golden! Go have fun.