Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-22-2023, 08:17 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 22E
State: California
THOR #27561
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Never owned a vehicle "which forced me to change the oil" when my "oil change required" message came on. How's that work?

In fact, I've owned several vehicles where the oil change interval reminder was based strictly on mileage assuming you were using conventional oil. I used synthetic oil so when it came on the first time I just reset it to avoid the nagging reminder, but I could have just kept driving it with the reminder for another cycle.
Electric shock wired into driver's seat.

I guess that I overstated it but since the vehicle does communicate with Ford (it tells me this every time I start it) and the "oil change required" comes on every time I start it, I decided that I would get an oil change so I could prove that it was changed close to when the reminder popped up in case there was any warranty issues and they looked at any communication from the vehicle.

My E350 requires synthetic and gives a generous 10k miles or 12 months between oil changes.

Old 03-22-2023, 08:23 PM   #22

Model: 31y
State: South Carolina
THOR #21394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
Talked to Ford Motorhome Assistance. Nice young lady took my zip code and came back saying there was a dealer in South Carolina. I said my zip code is Mississippi. Said she didn't know why "it" came up with that dealership. I asked if Ford had a list of their dealerships that handle RV's. She told me that that would be nice but she just has to google dealerships and then call and ask them if the service RV's. Nice person but no help.
Zephyr,
If you still have the information handy on what truck place in SC, please send it over.
Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-22-2023, 08:24 PM   #23

State: Texas
THOR #24216
Our oil change reminder came on at 1400 miles so I reset it and continued on.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:36 PM   #24

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreCambrian View Post
I had a similar issue when I called the Ford Motorhome Assistance line. I think that it is just the same as their regular customer assistance line now. The lady that answered the phone found a dealer that would change the oil in my motorhome 158 miles away in Bakersfield. I live on the California coast between San Francisco and Los Angeles. I found a Quick Lube place to change my oil where you drive over a pit and don't need a lift. But I guess that I will driving to Bakersfield for warranty work.

By the way my "oil change required" message came on out of the blue which forced me to change the oil otherwise I would have scheduled something at a dealer along with a short trip. I was 3,000 miles away from 10,000 miles and 4 months away from 12 months since I had bought the RV. I now assume that the oil change reminder was activated from the time when the cutaway chassis was first started and I had no clue when that was. It is something that the RV dealer should let you know.
FYI, the light is activated by a number of issues...elapsed time, oil temperatures, driving conditions, etc. Time may have been a part of that equation. In a serious pinch, you can just reset it back to 100% oil life remaining until you get a few miles into a more comfortable and convenient scenario.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:39 PM   #25

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I will add the purpose of Ford Motorhome Assistance Center is not to get you the closest dealer, but the closest that will gratefully work on your Motorhome requirements. There are other factors like labor rates, they don't get into. But you can be sure they know which Ford dealers are committed to working on RVs. It ain't all of them that is why the number exist. I rarely ever use a Dealership for anything out of warranty. You can always find what you need local on your own.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:13 PM   #26

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Every Ford dealer should diagnose and repair your RV engine, provided they your RV would fit into their bay. Another question is their lift capacity and room above it for any repairs. Diagnose is no problem.
Old 03-22-2023, 10:15 PM   #27

THOR #29274
Ford motor home service

Most ford dealers will not work on motorhome. Most do not have a lift or bay big enough. The ones that do may be booked 6 months ahead. I have to drive 2 hours for recalls or check engine. Call ford motor home roadside assistance for location or tow. Good Sam never called back.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:17 PM   #28

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artincleve View Post
Most ford dealers will not work on motorhome. Most do not have a lift or bay big enough. The ones that do may be booked 6 months ahead. I have to drive 2 hours for recalls or check engine. Call ford motor home roadside assistance for location or tow. Good Sam never called back.
Wow you come right in and nail your 1st post

And also in the mix... some dealerships do not have the space or wish to assume the liability. Even with a Ford or Lincoln vehicle all Ford dealerships are not the same. Just because you see that logo, don't try to make them be the service experts in all things.

RV Dealers are the same way.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-22-2023, 11:23 PM   #29
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow you come right in and nail your 1st post

And also in the mix... some dealerships do not have the space or wish to assume the liability. Even with a Ford or Lincoln vehicle all Ford dealerships are not the same. Just because you see that logo, don't try to make them be the service experts in all things.

RV Dealers are the same way.
If Ford succeeds in eliminating dealer sales like they are aiming for it will really change the way all Ford products are warranty serviced.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 11:34 PM   #30

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
If Ford succeeds in eliminating dealer sales like they are aiming for it will really change the way all Ford products are warranty serviced.
I hope they do. I am one that will benefit from a fair straight price. I suspect that model will have to include Regional Repair Centers. They already merge Ford & Lincoln, as I prefer my single local large Ford Dealership over all the 3 of my local Lincoln options. But if I talk to Lincoln Concierge they refer me that Ford Dealership anyway (as options)
Old 03-22-2023, 11:36 PM   #31

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
You don’t need a ford dealership just find a shop that works on trucks, you can even head to a good auto parts store and they will read the code they all have code readers
Old 03-23-2023, 12:23 AM   #32

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
Some Walmarts have tall bays for oil changes

The Walmart near our old house used to change our Hurricane's oil with no issues. their bay was tall enough and I couple drive in one way and exit on the other side.

Until... they got a new manager.

Rush Truck center in Dallas was a Ford Dealership (they still claim they are but they mostly service other brand commercial trucks). but they are usually a couple of weeks out for appointments.

I would check a truck service station for quick oil changes.

Another option is mobile mechanics. for light mechanical work like changing an oxygen sensor or some other check engine light issue they are a good option.
Old 03-23-2023, 12:37 AM   #33
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
For this year’s service I’m trying a tire center that also services large trucks and RVs and was recommended by my mobile RV tech. Dropped it off today and will pick it up Friday. It was my zdecision on the drop off and pickup based on my calendar and commitments.

I’m having them do a LOF, fuel filter replacement, generator service and overall chassis inspection. I want to see if they come in under 700.00 for the service.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:35 AM   #34

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post
The Walmart near our old house used to change our Hurricane's oil with no issues. their bay was tall enough and I couple drive in one way and exit on the other side.

Until... they got a new manager.

Rush Truck center in Dallas was a Ford Dealership (they still claim they are but they mostly service other brand commercial trucks). but they are usually a couple of weeks out for appointments.

I would check a truck service station for quick oil changes.

Another option is mobile mechanics. for light mechanical work like changing an oxygen sensor or some other check engine light issue they are a good option.

When RV was new, I took to Rush Truck Center in Irving to install the mounting bracket for Safe T Plus. They are authorized Ford Dealer. So they come back saying they were concerned they may break the U Bolts so they wanted to order two custom fabricated u bolts from a partner for $500 because they said the U bolts on the chassis Ford did not carry So when I decline to buy custom u bolts just in case they broke my OEM that were still under warranty they charged me $150 to get my RV back

I have never been back to Rush since. I use Mobile Tech. I guess if I had major failure like engine or transmission, I may have no choice?
Old 03-23-2023, 09:02 AM   #35

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Electric shock wired into driver's seat.

I guess that I overstated it but since the vehicle does communicate with Ford (it tells me this every time I start it) and the "oil change required" comes on every time I start it, I decided that I would get an oil change so I could prove that it was changed close to when the reminder popped up in case there was any warranty issues and they looked at any communication from the vehicle.

My E350 requires synthetic and gives a generous 10k miles or 12 months between oil changes.
We own two Fords and two GM vehicles. My 2013 Silverado and 2020 Chevy Sonic both have OnStar but I do not pay for a subscription. Does not seem to matter because OnStar sends me emails on the Sonic each month telling me what service I need. Always pesters me about the air pressure in the tires.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 12:28 AM   #36

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
THOR #22619
Quote:

By the way my "oil change required" message came on out of the blue which forced me to change the oil otherwise I would have scheduled something at a dealer along with a short trip. .
Resetting the Oil Life Monitoring System
Only reset the oil life monitoring system after changing the engine oil and oil filter.
To reset the oil life monitoring system do the following:

Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine.

Fully press the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

Keep the accelerator and brake pedals fully pressed.

After three seconds, a message displays confirming the reset procedure is in progress.

After 25 seconds, a message displays confirming the reset procedure is complete.

Release the accelerator and brake pedals.

Switch the ignition off.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:57 AM   #37

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H. View Post
Resetting the Oil Life Monitoring System
Only reset the oil life monitoring system after changing the engine oil and oil filter.
To reset the oil life monitoring system do the following:

Switch the ignition on. Do not start the engine.

Fully press the accelerator and brake pedals at the same time.

Keep the accelerator and brake pedals fully pressed.

After three seconds, a message displays confirming the reset procedure is in progress.

After 25 seconds, a message displays confirming the reset procedure is complete.

Release the accelerator and brake pedals.

Switch the ignition off.
This just reminded me, I changed my oil 2 weeks ago and I did not reset the oil life. Never heard of your procedure. I always thought it could be easily reset with the menus on the dash? Takes like 5 seconds? I will go out and do this to confirm.

UPDATE:

So I go out to reset my oil life thinking I would I find in the Setup menu on Dash

Then I got to thinking, I don't ever recall seeing a Change oil or oil life message in RV?

Confused I pull out my manual which say s exactly what you described, but I get nothing with key on, and pressing both pedals.

I change my oil every year on my schedule, but to be honest I don't reset unless I am getting a warning. I am now wondering if I have gone 4 years with no oil change warning?
Old 03-24-2023, 02:35 AM   #38

Model: 2021 Vegs 24.1
THOR #22619
Quote:
I am now wondering if I have gone 4 years with no oil change warning?
My warning came on while parked this winter in the driveway.
Old 03-24-2023, 02:56 AM   #39

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert H. View Post
My warning came on while parked this winter in the driveway.
I just found a thread 2 years ago on another forum where I came across this exact instructions for resetting had it did NOT work then for 2019 F053 as it does not work now. I am up to about 30,000 miles and 4 years and I have never seen the Change oil warning on 2019 F53. Instructions are in manual but they do not work. I have averaged changing oil every 7,500 miles over 4 years.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:28 PM   #40
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
I just found a thread 2 years ago on another forum where I came across this exact instructions for resetting had it did NOT work then for 2019 F053 as it does not work now. I am up to about 30,000 miles and 4 years and I have never seen the Change oil warning on 2019 F53. Instructions are in manual but they do not work. I have averaged changing oil every 7,500 miles over 4 years.
Ford’s message center messages are dependent on the option package they were installed in. Not all F53 chassises used by Thor have the same option packages. Ford delivers was is available as long as it meets Thor’s minimum requirements.