Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds
State: Georgia
THOR #8717
Fresh Water Tank Drain

I have a 2019 Thor Four Winds Coach. The fresh water tank is located below one of the seats of the dinette. The fresh water tank drain valve is located at the bottom of this compartment 2 feet below the seat bottom. The fresh water tank drain is the RED valve in the attached picture. It is not only awkward to get to, but it is also very difficult to turn to the open / close position. I have been looking for a long tool that would make it easier to access and turn. I was wondering if any one had run into a similar situation and had found a good solution?

Thanks!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93dc5%reRx2Jbuqd6fXDzA.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	34318  

Old 10-13-2021, 08:59 PM   #2

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
I had my 30 rv tech at piping and move the shut off for these things cheap fix. WAY LESS STRESS can winterize anytime
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:07 PM   #3

Model: Four Winds 28A
State: California
THOR #21941
Ours is under the bed behind a screwed in panel.

I installed a door I got at Home Depot and painted dark brown to access the fresh water drain valve.

Some have installed a valve under the coach on the drain pipe and crawl under to drain the tank.

Others have installed and electric valve so all they have to do is flip a switch to empty their tank.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:17 AM   #4

THOR #8717
"Some have installed a valve under the coach on the drain pipe and crawl under to drain the tank."

I thought about that as an alternative.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 10-14-2021, 02:05 AM   #5

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Texas
THOR #16975
I use a 4-ft long pvc pipe with slots cut in the end to slip over the T arms on the valve. I don't remember the inside diameter of the pipe but it's got to be just big enough to go over the center of the valve.

That was a suggestion from this forum and it works well for me.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:36 AM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGunter View Post
I use a 4-ft long pvc pipe with slots cut in the end to slip over the T arms on the valve. I don't remember the inside diameter of the pipe but it's got to be just big enough to go over the center of the valve.

That was a suggestion from this forum and it works well for me.
Now THIS is creative... and an EXCELLENT solution! Maybe 3/4"? Try to find schedule 80... it's a bit more rugged (thicker) than typical schedule 40. Then glue a T on the end for a handle!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #7

THOR #8717
Thanks for the great ideas!

Dan
Old 10-14-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I installed an electronic ball valve with a wireless switch. I press a button on the remote and it opens to drain the tank.

I also cahanged the plumbing in my Magnitude SV34 and added another electronic ball valve and wireless switch so I can divert water from the city water port to fill the fresh water tank.
Old 10-16-2021, 04:44 PM   #9

THOR #8717
I think I have found a good solution to this problem. I bought an Adjustable Plumber's Wrench at Lowe's today (see picture). Kudos to my wife who spotted this wrench when we were in the plumbing section. The adjustable end will straddle the red valve handle and I put a 3/8 socket extension in the wrench end for a "T" to give better leverage. To make a "T" handle that is a little longer than the socket extension, I can cut a length of wooden dowel.

Thanks for all of the responses and creative ideas to my question!
Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	93dc5%reRx2Jbuqd6fXDzA.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	34343   Click image for larger version

Name:	fFyWgJxASQ2da5o%tB+XHQ.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	34344  

Old 10-20-2021, 09:21 PM   #10

Model: Daybreak 22GOC
State: Kansas
THOR #18675
I used 1.5 in diameter grey electrical conduit [could use 1.25in]. A slot was cut into the enlarged receiving end of the conduit and cut to 2.5ft length. A 90 degree elbow was glued to the top, with a 4 to 6 in piece of conduit to form an "L" shaped device. The slot fits over the red knob perfectly and makes it easy to open or close. The tool will fit inside the dinette enclosure. Total cost was about $6. Sorry no picture. It is in the RV, in storage.
JimC