Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Fresh water tank draning

Getting my 2017 Vegas 25.2 for winter. Tried draining fresh waster tank thru tank drain but too slow. Cranked up water pump and opened outside shower. Much better,however, the tank never drained completely. I still have approximately a quarter to half inch water still in tank. Does the tank need to be completely void of water. Is so any suggestions on how to do so. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:17 AM   #2

Model: 2018 Windsport 34J
State: Washington
THOR #9055
On our last trip of the season, I open the drain valve for the drive home. The movement helps get more water removed than a stationary drain. It would be a smart move to have the factory install the tank at a small angle, or develop a tank with a sump.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
If you are concerned about freezing, a little water in bottom of tank isn't an issue... As long as the lines are empty or treated with antifreeze, the tank itself will be fine.

The issue with freezing is expansion... Water expands as it freezes. In a confined water line, than can cause the line to burst. A little water in bottom of large tank has plenty of room to expand when it freezes.
Same for water heater - as long as it is drained, a little water in bottom won't hurt.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On our 24.1 I usually open up the drain and leave it open for a few days. At the same time it will get moved from the storage lot to the house and back a few times--that seems to get all of it.

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of water in the tank freezing: It has a place to expand into. Just wouldn't want any in the pump or stuck in any of the valves.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

State: Alabama
THOR #9516
I agree that a very small amount wouldn't matter, but if you're still concerned, open the drain valve, level the vehicle (if you have levelers), then angle the home slightly towards the side that has the drain valve. Should get it emptied a little bit more.
Old 11-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #6

Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Also make sure your drain valve stays open as that is what could freeze if any water stays in it.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:27 AM   #7

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski View Post
Also make sure your drain valve stays open as that is what could freeze if any water stays in it.
Thanks for that suggestion. Just drained mine up today, took DW shopping and running around to help empty the tank and then I closed the valve. I will make sure I open in back up tomorrow along with the low drain valves.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #8

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
If you are concerned about freezing, a little water in bottom of tank isn't an issue... As long as the lines are empty or treated with antifreeze, the tank itself will be fine.

The issue with freezing is expansion... Water expands as it freezes. In a confined water line, than can cause the line to burst. A little water in bottom of large tank has plenty of room to expand when it freezes.
Same for water heater - as long as it is drained, a little water in bottom won't hurt.
X2. Water in tanks not an issue if volume left. Besides draining tanks remember to either add antifreeze to tank and run water pump to get into lines, or, connect an airline to inlet and blow all lines clear with low pressure air. Lines are where you will have issues. Do not forget the refrigerator and water filters. Also pour some into traps in sinks, tub.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:37 AM   #9

THOR #7445
Draining water lines

Gmc/x2: On 2017 Thor Citation 24, where is inlet to which to install the air pump to blow out the lines??
Thanks, 556mike
Old 12-21-2017, 03:52 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Oregon
THOR #6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556mike View Post
Gmc/x2: On 2017 Thor Citation 24, where is inlet to which to install the air pump to blow out the lines??
Thanks, 556mike
They make an adapter that hooks to your outside water tank fill, and has an air fitting built into it. I recommend the one that has the coupling rather than the tire stem type. Then you don't have to hold it on. Set the compressor for about 45 PSI
Old 12-21-2017, 02:43 PM   #11

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
on my 25-2 it drains all the water. or two 2x12 ramps 3' long. drive up on them drain tank. or park on an incline or anti freeze in tank or keep it in heated shop.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #12
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirnot View Post
They make an adapter that hooks to your outside water tank fill, and has an air fitting built into it. I recommend the one that has the coupling rather than the tire stem type. Then you don't have to hold it on. Set the compressor for about 45 PSI
Yep.. here's the one I use - all of $6:
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-36143-B.../dp/B002XL2IEA
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #13

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
I have a plastic one that looks like it costs 1.99.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #14

THOR #7445
Winterizing the Citation water lines

Thanks, I bought the device with the valve.
556mike
Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 AM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
Make sure to leave the valve open. Mine froze last year and broke from about a tablespoon of water. I replaced with a nice brass valve from home store. Ours is sitting in a heated garage so I didn't think about it, but when we left for Florida in January it froze then.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:38 AM   #16

THOR #7445
Fresh water tank draining

Appreciate your comments/ suggestions. We live in Bay Area and it is supposed to go below 32 by a few degrees tonite. Can't get to the mh/storage area until tomorrow, and then only to drain tank of 1/4 capacity. Will do what I can to drain remainder of lines. 556mike
Old 12-22-2017, 01:12 PM   #17
gmc

THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by 556mike View Post
Appreciate your comments/ suggestions. We live in Bay Area and it is supposed to go below 32 by a few degrees tonite. Can't get to the mh/storage area until tomorrow, and then only to drain tank of 1/4 capacity. Will do what I can to drain remainder of lines. 556mike
No guarantees - but...
It takes much more than a few hours a couple of degrees below 32 to cause any issues... especially for lines inside compartments/RV.
The compartment/RV itself would need to drop below 32 - and hold that long enough to freeze a line.

A 1/4 full fresh water tank would take a longggg time to freeze at 30 degrees... Even the lines running through the RV will take time to freeze.

As I stated - no guarantees - but personally I wouldn't be concerned until temps drop into 20's and stay there for longer periods.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
Old 12-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
No guarantees - but...
It takes much more than a few hours a couple of degrees below 32 to cause any issues... especially for lines inside compartments/RV.
The compartment/RV itself would need to drop below 32 - and hold that long enough to freeze a line.

A 1/4 full fresh water tank would take a longggg time to freeze at 30 degrees... Even the lines running through the RV will take time to freeze.

As I stated - no guarantees - but personally I wouldn't be concerned until temps drop into 20's and stay there for longer periods.
Along with that: remember that the coldest overnight temp is usually right before sunrise. Thus if the low is going to be 30 or 31 your rig will likely only see below freezing temps for an hour or two at most (maybe only a minute before sunrise..).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
The pex lines won't freeze and break but the elbows and connectors will. One of my TT a few years ago I didn't get to winterize soon enough and one night it got to about 30deg unexpectedly and broke a half dozen connectors inside that I had to fix in the spring.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #20

THOR #7445
Fresh water tank draining

Thanks all. However, as an example of being close to the freeze/no freeze line at overnight temps below 32 we overnighted at the Pinnacles last week and the main distribution line was frozen in the morning (thawing later on the road). I expect this was caused by the storage door to the fresh-water intake manifold blowing open during the night; your point about compartmentalizations being on point. 556mike