Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger
State: New Jersey
THOR #7108
Talking

We have a Challenger 38" 2017. In our old Class C rig, our refrigerator ran off of propane when we were on the road. In this rig, we have a residential refrigerator and our options are nothing, inverter or generator. We can run for a good long while with nothing, but when the temp inches up beyond 40, I use the inverter. If people are complaining that they need to charge their phones, we run the generator, which kills two or more birds with one stone.

I liked the old setup of the refrigerator running off of propane, however that fridge was so shallow, it didn't ever stay really cold, except overnight when NO ONE touched it. Several openings/closings and it was hard to get it below 45 degrees, even when plugged into shore power. This refrigerator stays much colder, however, the inverter has been inconsistent... While traveling, it keeps the refrigerator cold overnight, but then when we parked the rig and left it during the day for 2 days, we came back and the inverter had shut off or tripped off or something. Annoying! Next time we are in for service, we will try to find out why the dang inverter kept shutting off.

Also, we have found in both of our rigs, the generator uses hardly any gas. It's noisy, but it's dependable.

FYI, on our last trip, we smelled gas twice while driving. We now try and remember to just shut off the gas at the valve when we are not using it.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #22

Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella View Post
FYI, on our last trip, we smelled gas twice while driving. We now try and remember to just shut off the gas at the valve when we are not using it.
If you smelled gas you need to trace that down, you should never be smelling propane. Thor in my experience has been very inefficient in tightening propane connections. I found the main connection coming off of my tank only finger tight. Grab your wrench or have someone do it and climb under and check every fitting.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Florida
THOR #10918
Fridge

We have a Freedom Traveler A30 and our fridge runs off AC only. The fridge plugs into the inverter which is connected to the house batteries which are being charged as we drive down the road. Much safer than having to use propane like in our previous RV. Also noted that some states require you to turn off your propane even went on the open highway. New York comes to mind.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 PM   #24

Model: Windsport 31S
State: Florida
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Leave it on AUTO make sure your Propane is turned on and let it run on GAS as the RV manufacturers intended.
X2
Old 08-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #25
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Mine doesn't: Thor calls it an "Entertainment Inverter"...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #26

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
thats true for coaches with RV fridges, as they can get power several different ways, but coaches with residential 120v have to have constant electric power, therefore either a dedicated smaller inverter, or a larger ‘whole house’ inverter, like ours - it runs all the outlets, including fridge and microwave, etc.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #27

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #8078
I have a residential fridge which is electric only (wish I had a propane/electric but too expensive to switch out). If we travel for long periods my alternator cannot keep up with the current drain, so I'll run the generator if my voltage drops to less then 11.8
Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #28

THOR #4735
perfect, that's what the generator is there for!

I'm not sure where most initial aversions to running the generator come from, but it's like saying I want to cut my grass, but I don't want to have to start the mower!
: /
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote