Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 05:24 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Front End Alignment - Paid by Thor...or not?

Yesterday, as I wrote in another post, I had the front end aligned on my new 2016 Thor Vegas 25.3. The camber was ok, but the toe was off, and I had the caster adjusted as has been suggested in several previous forum posts by various contributors. I also had a Safe-T-Plus and heavy duty Hellrig sway bars installed. (The unit has 800 miles on it.)

Coincidentally, this morning I received a call from the Thor Concierge Service, checking to make sure all was OK with the new vehicle. Since I had read in these Forums that some owners had been reimbursed for the cost of their first alignment, I inquired as to whether I could receive reimbursement also.

I was transferred to Thor Customer Service, where I made the request. I was flatly told that Thor does NOT reimburse for alignments. The rep said he had worked for Thor for two years and he had never known for any customer to be reimbursed during that time by Thor.

So my question is...Is there anyone on here that has had a direct experience with this...and were you or were you not reimbursed?

Old 12-16-2016, 05:43 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut
So my question is...Is there anyone on here that has had a direct experience with this...and were you or were you not reimbursed?
You may also want to hit up Ford and see if they will cover it.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 05:46 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #4160
Bottom line is no. When the chassis comes from Ford, it is aligned. You should perform your alignment after you have it fully loaded with everything of yours and the weight is distributed evenly. An alignment is only $160 or around there.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:16 PM   #4

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
I paid for mine.
If I recall correctly, I did ask and was told the same thing...
Old 12-16-2016, 09:34 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
I asked Ford and Thor. Both said NO So I paid for it myself.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 01:15 AM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I asked Ford and Thor. Both said NO So I paid for it myself.Jerry

Ditto that.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:28 AM   #7
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
There have been several threads talking about this...
As I recall - the most success has been with Ford - at least one got Thor to pay...

Read the Ford warranty info first... Ed Felker quoted language from the 2015 E350 Warranty doc here: Thor Forums - View Single Post - 2016 Axis 24.1 Front End Alignment saying Ford covers in first 12,000 miles...

Since Thor already said no - certainly try Ford... Properly armed with what the warranty guide states can only help.

I've bought both my RV's outside of the 12,000 mile window... so anything needed was on me.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 03:01 AM   #8

Model: ACE EVO 30.3
THOR #6059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locknut View Post
Yesterday, as I wrote in another post, I had the front end aligned on my new 2016 Thor Vegas 25.3. The camber was ok, but the toe was off, and I had the caster adjusted as has been suggested in several previous forum posts by various contributors. I also had a Safe-T-Plus and heavy duty Hellrig sway bars installed. (The unit has 800 miles on it.)

Coincidentally, this morning I received a call from the Thor Concierge Service, checking to make sure all was OK with the new vehicle. Since I had read in these Forums that some owners had been reimbursed for the cost of their first alignment, I inquired as to whether I could receive reimbursement also.

I was transferred to Thor Customer Service, where I made the request. I was flatly told that Thor does NOT reimburse for alignments. The rep said he had worked for Thor for two years and he had never known for any customer to be reimbursed during that time by Thor.

I just took delivery of our new 2017 ACE 30.3 two and half weeks ago. I had the same question about front end alignment. I spoke with Daniel Carr from Thor. He stated that Thor does not cover or reimburse a customer for a front end alignment period! He went on to state that it is in print in your owners manual and on a sticker near the drivers seat, that Thor strongly encourages new owners to take their vehicle in for an alignment check after delivery and loading of their RV. He said that it is the new owners responsibility.
I made an appointment at a local RV service center near my home. I had the alignment check and it was found to be ok on caster and camber but out on toe. They made some adjustments and centered the steering wheel for a couple hundred bucks.
I have also completed the CHF and installed a steering stabilizer this week. The MH drives real nice and I am happy with the results so far. We are going on a short camping trip next week, so I will get some highway time on it.

Steven B
S/W Florida
Old 12-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #9

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Alignment

On my 2016 Axis 24.1, I complained about the steering during the test drive and during the delivery briefing at the dealership. Ford told me absolutely not and I finally got Thor to give me $250 to help with the costs. This did not fully cover the cost of the alignment because extra casters had to be installed.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:29 PM   #10

State: Illinois
THOR #5112
when i picked up my 2016 axis at dealer by the factory it had 34 miles on it.spent 2 hours being showed all the things about it with my wife and son taking notes.the last thing i asked the man showing the axis to us was, has the front end alignment been done ? he said ford does this before it leaves the factory .40 miles into our trip home wife calls dealer and told salesman the axis was all over the road. he said i will call you right back which he did and had us an appointment the next day at large truck place where we live.the man asks me to come down into the pit where he was looking over the front end and pointed out that all the grease joint rubbers were flat meaning ford never greased any of the grease joints on front suspension. they were dry . he checked tires and the rear duals on right had 45 psi the left had 80 psi.left front 55psi right 75psi .alignment was off. the dealer paid for everything. my point is Ford did nothing and the 3 days it sat at dealer being check out after it left the factory didn't even get the tires checked.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:47 AM   #11

Model: 2016 Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5577
Locknut
Had the same problem with my 2016 24.1 picked up new from a dealer in FL in Oct (I live in NC )
It was an uncomfortable 600 mile ride home so when I got home I called the dealer and inquired about the alignment. They said it was aligned at the factory and that's all they knew and were not responsible for anything else
At that point I called Thor and Ford only to hear "sorry", blah, blah, blah
So, long story short, I paid for the front end alignment, called the owner of the dealership, told her how disappointed I was and that if any of this had shown up during the PDI I wouldn't have driven it off the lot
The next day I got a call from their warranty manager asking for a copy of the bill and two days later a check for the full amount showed up
Hate I, or any body else, has or had to go through this but am satisfied
Rig now tracks like it was intended
Happy trails
Cappy
Old 01-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #12

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
Couldn't tell exactly from your post, but it looks like the "dealer" paid for the alignment, not Ford and not Thor. If so, the dealer did the right thing
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #13

Model: Tuscany XTE 36MQ
State: Louisiana
THOR #4843
Not sure about Ford. I have a Freightliner Chassis. They claim that caster and camber are the responsibility of chassis manufacturer. Toe in can change with loading of the coach. I had mine aligned and the caster was off. Freighliner reimbursed me for the alignment.