Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2022, 05:25 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Tennessee
THOR #24649
Front end inspection

I have a 2017 Thor 25.2 Vegas that needs a front end inspection after an unscheduled visit with a guardrail in the interstate. I'm near knoxville and have struck out trying to find a local shop that will even touch it. It's stunning that there doesn't seem to be anybody who does alignments etc here. Camping World in Alcoa repaired the body damage, but they blew off even referring me to a place locally that does this sort of work. Am I just not looking hard enough or is this a common issue? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Chris

Old 06-16-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Simple Google search.

http://www.centralalignmentandservices.com/

https://www.davidstire.com/About/Big-Stuff
Old 06-16-2022, 07:42 PM   #3

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
If you can find a Ford Commercial Truck Center (not cars and pickups) near you, they can do it. It's a Ford commercial truck chassis. The biggest challenge you may have is finding a commercial truck dealer that will work on motorhomes...they hate them.

Try Premier Truck Group in Knoxville,

Premier Truck Group of Knoxville
1413 Everett Road
Knoxville, TN 37932
(800) 443-2324
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 07:45 PM   #4

THOR #24649
Yay! Central alignment can look at it. I must have called 6 places today and struck out each time. I really appreciate the help!
Old 06-16-2022, 07:58 PM   #5

Model: Miramar
State: California
THOR #22927
Try a larger place that sells tires for semi,s, that works on large trucks.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:03 PM   #6

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
A semi truck mechanic once told me the main reason commercial truck shops hate working on RVs is because RVs are not "service friendly" vehicles. The large semi trucks are designed from inception for service... they are "easy" to work on with common tools/procedures designed for that industry.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:27 PM   #7

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
A semi truck mechanic once told me the main reason commercial truck shops hate working on RVs is because RVs are not "service friendly" vehicles. The large semi trucks are designed from inception for service... they are "easy" to work on with common tools/procedures designed for that industry.

That's part of it...the entire coach is build so tightly around everything that you have to disassemble beds/bedrooms and other "permanent" structures just go get to anything. You can't even see the engines in the front powered units, much less work on them. Once you find a suspect problem, you have to fight with the chassis, coach and 50 other component suppliers over who's fault it is. Another issue is the owners wanting to stay in them while they work on them, or camp in them in the parking lot while they wait. Once you get them out, they browse everywhere in the dealership with their dogs wanting to talk to anyone that will listen (or didn't see the coming and run) about life's adventures...etc., etc., etc. It's not a pretty picture. Check the labor rates for motorhomes. Dealerships are a workplace...not a campground or rally event. How do I know...I sold commercial trucks for a few years. When we saw a motorhome drive in we scattered like ants on a disturbed bed.
Old 06-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
That’s why many shops charge a Motorhome labor premium of 25 to 40 dollars per hour. Very real at Freightliner shops and many of them will only work on DPs one or two days a week.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:16 PM   #9

Model: Hurricane 32N
THOR #18316
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFTN View Post
Yay! Central alignment can look at it. I must have called 6 places today and struck out each time. I really appreciate the help!
Hey, I’m not far from Knoxville. Could you let us know how the appointment went and what you learned? Thanks
reminckv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 09:55 PM   #10

THOR #24649
Quote:
Originally Posted by reminckv View Post
Hey, I’m not far from Knoxville. Could you let us know how the appointment went and what you learned? Thanks
I'll let you know when I get it looked at. My ride wasn't able to help me drop it off this week, but I hope to get it looked at next week sometime. I'll let you know the results.
Chris
Old 07-05-2022, 07:46 PM   #11

THOR #24649
Hi folks, and thanks for the help finding an alignment shop. I took my coach to Central Alignment in north knoxville and they had it done quickly. The guy said the alignment was only slightly out. He also asked where the tires came from and , according to him, they're the crappiest brand and the worst tread pattern for a motor home. He said the front tires will last 5,000 miles and start cupping and therefore becoming really noisy. I won't say where I bought the coach from (Camping World), but they're on there for now. Thanks again for the help!
Chris
Old 07-05-2022, 08:46 PM   #12
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
Hi folks, and thanks for the help finding an alignment shop. I took my coach to Central Alignment in north knoxville and they had it done quickly. The guy said the alignment was only slightly out. He also asked where the tires came from and , according to him, they're the crappiest brand and the worst tread pattern for a motor home. He said the front tires will last 5,000 miles and start cupping and therefore becoming really noisy. I won't say where I bought the coach from (Camping World), but they're on there for now. Thanks again for the help!
Chris
Just FYI: cupping on tires is most commonly caused by bad shocks.

In some cases it can be caused by worn suspension joints.

Tires don't cup themselves.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 09:18 PM   #13

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Chris
Did the tech say you had the wrong load range tires for your coach?
I agree with the ACE most tire wear is caused by over or under inflation, out of align front end or worn suspension parts.

Ford's are better than Chevy's which are better than _____. I take arbitrary statements with a grain of salt
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 02:13 AM   #14

THOR #24649
He just said the tread is too aggressive and will wear prematurely and will be noisy in no time. I'll see how they wear and replace them if necessary.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:28 PM   #15

THOR #11130
Quote:
He just said the tread is too aggressive and will wear prematurely and will be noisy in no time. I'll see how they wear and replace them if necessary.

You can qualify his comments based on how many red rags were hanging from his pockets and how many days it looked like he had been wearing the same jumpsuit.