Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2020, 11:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria
State: New Jersey
THOR #17864
Front engine cover keeps popping open

We have a gas 2020 Class A Miramar. We've put about 12K miles on it with no issues. But on our last trip which took us over some very bumpy roads the entire engine cover popped loose and sprang up.

I stopped and reset it but it happened 3 more times on less bumpy roads. It's got a bungy cord on it now. I am planning to take it to the dealer but just wondering if there is a simple fix for it.

Thanks

Blue Ox Tow Kit
Newf026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Thuis us easy: your RV is haunted, and Halloween is coming soon...
Seriously: look for anything that might be getting down into the area where that cover has to sit. It could be a easy as a folded over loose piece of insulation,
Good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Well, the "simple fix" would be to figure out why the two locking hasps are not engaging properly to prevent the hood from opening. Is the hood fully closed when you turn the hasps? Is the hood properly aligned? Are the hinges bent?

It's a pretty simple system but my crystal ball is fuzzy from this end.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #4

THOR #17864
It is a very simple system. Just two pieces of angled metal that when you turn with the "key" are supposed to move forward and rotate into the slot within the frame.

And when I do that it sure feels like its good and tight. But after hitting bumpy areas the latches give way and come right out of the slots as if I never had engaged them.

There appears to be a way of adjusting the latches but I haven't tried that yet. I was wondering if anyone had done it.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It sounds as if it's not getting fully seated, and the latches aren't fully engaging...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #6

THOR #17864
I was going to start looking at how the mechanism was latching into the frame like you suggest but I just got an appointment at the dealer to have it "adjusted". It sounded like they do this often.

Thanks
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 09-30-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

Model: Axis
State: Ohio
THOR #19298
I had the same issue on my 2020 Axis. The metal pieces didn’t quite fit to hold it when locked. The first time I took it to Camping World and they just closed it but several trips later it popped open again. I finally took it back to the dealer and they say they fixed the metal latch but I haven’t been on any long trips to verify.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:16 AM   #8

THOR #17864
From what I also see these latches are fastened to the cover which is fiberglass and therefore inherently has some flex to it. I think that this allows the metal latches to bow in and out of the slots when a bump occurs. Not a great engineering design.

But I'll see what the dealer does and how it works.

Thanks!
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 10-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #9

Model: Miramar 34.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #15951
I had the same problem with my Miramar. It is just an adjustment on the latches. They need to be tightened. There is a nut under the latch and one above it. Loosen the one under a turn or two then tighten the one above and test. Keep adjusting both sides until you get a snug fit. You should be able to pull on the hood and pull from left to right without it poping up.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #10
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On our Axis the latches got turned just a little so that the "finger" wouldn't have a great hold on the metal plate. A small adjustment and we were good to go.

Another thing I found: Our front "hood" (for lack of a better term) would rattle and eat away at the gelcoat. I put some weather stripping on the coach side to stop the rattle and hold the "hood" in place more. Now closing the "hood" involves pushing it into the coach before turning the latches. It hasn't popped out, or made any noise since.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #11

THOR #17864
Thankyou for the help!

I was hesitant to start making those adjustments so its good to hear that is the answer. I'll let the dealer do it this time but be ready to make further adjustments if they don't get it right.
Blue Ox Tow Kit
Old 10-08-2020, 01:17 AM   #12

State: California
THOR #16919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf026 View Post
We have a gas 2020 Class A Miramar. We've put about 12K miles on it with no issues. But on our last trip which took us over some very bumpy roads the entire engine cover popped loose and sprang up.

I stopped and reset it but it happened 3 more times on less bumpy roads. It's got a bungy cord on it now. I am planning to take it to the dealer but just wondering if there is a simple fix for it.

Thanks
So we have a 2017 Miramar that I had the same problem with. I tried to see if the Company that makes those twist latches has a longer prong that can be attached and they didn’t. What I did to remedy the problem is I went to Home Cheapo and bought some black weatherstripping and attached it all the way around where the engine cover fits against the opening inside. That made the difference because now the engine cover fits snugly against it and that keeps it from shifting. You’ll probably also notice that the cover is kind of flexed or bowed out towards the middle so that adds to the ability for it to wiggle out. For insurance I got a small adjustable nylon web strap with the plastic clasps on the end. You can wrap that around the bottom of the radiator support anthem around the metal stiffener rod behind the grill to make sure it stays shut.
2017 Thor Miramar 34.1
Crimson Quartz
Dilley Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 01:37 AM   #13

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:

Thanks
You have the same cover that I have and it can't open if it's latched right. Have you turned the key all the way to the right. You can see the lever go into the hole. I wanted to check the oil so I took the grill out and lifted the hood up. I found the 5 studs holding the grill were not even hand tight. I installed lock nuts so it it can't come lose again.
Old 10-08-2020, 03:10 AM   #14

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
It is a very simple system. Just two pieces of angled metal that when you turn with the "key" are supposed to move forward and rotate into the slot within the frame.

And when I do that it sure feels like its good and tight. But after hitting bumpy areas the latches give way and come right out of the slots as if I never had engaged them.

There appears to be a way of adjusting the latches but I haven't tried that yet. I was wondering if anyone had done it.

Your response is correct. We are also owners of a Miramar, and encountered the identical issue. If examined, the latch not only must match with the slot, but turning also is tightened to ensure engaged.

Most likely one of the two latches works fine when the key is used to turn. When I realized that both locking latches on the hood turned opposite of each other, I never encountered the issue again. That was three years ago!

Ken
Old 10-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #15

THOR #17864
Had the fix done at the dealer this past Monday so we'll see how well the "pros" do with it. But thanks for all of the input.

I usually like fixing most RV things myself but wasn't sure that I wanted to play with this adjustment if others had not seen the issue. But if the dealer fix doesn't stop it I'll start using everyone's suggestions and do it myself.

Thanks all!
Blue Ox Tow Kit