Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 05:00 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Axis
State: Mississippi
THOR #6203
Fuel ????

The owners manual states that I should use regular 87 octane gas. I'm traveling in New Mexico and Colorado and the regular gas here is 85 or 86 octane. Should I continue to use that or bump up to the mid range fuel?
As my luck would have it fuel prices are on the rise and if possible I would prefer to go with regular gas. So far the range of prices for gas has been from $1.99/gal to $2.60/gal for regular! I hate to see what mid octanes prices would be!

Old 08-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #2

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
As long as you are in the 'higher altitudes' lower octane will be fine. I often saw an increase in gas mileage with gasoline powered vehicles, at high altitude, not with diesel, however.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #3

Model: S.O.B.
THOR #3483
I was just warned on this subject last week by a large RV service center in Chino, CA. Bumping up to anything above regular grade will create havoc with the generator and how it cycles. Just passing along what I just learned. I do know that these new engines and their fuel injection, computer run systems, etc., take your concerns into account. The recommendation of the fuel grade in the owners' manual is what I will stick with.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.0
State: Colorado
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
I was just warned on this subject last week by a large RV service center in Chino, CA. Bumping up to anything above regular grade will create havoc with the generator and how it cycles. Just passing along what I just learned. I do know that these new engines and their fuel injection, computer run systems, etc., take your concerns into account. The recommendation of the fuel grade in the owners' manual is what I will stick with.
Huh? This makes eactly zero sense to me but am certainly open to hearing why.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

Model: ACE 29.0
THOR #2581
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
The owners manual states that I should use regular 87 octane gas.
Then use regular 87. If they don't have regular 87 then I'm guessing I would use whatever grade is 87. It matters little what it's called but rather the octane.
Drive into California and then tell us about gas prices.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut214 View Post
Then use regular 87. If they don't have regular 87 then I'm guessing I would use whatever grade is 87. It matters little what it's called but rather the octane.
Drive into California and then tell us about gas prices.
Ok I'm really confused. Regular gas is 87 octane. 85 is not 87 octane Nor is 87 85 octane. You will see 85 octane at higher altitudes in parts of the west as a substitute for 87 octane regulars gas but .... remember what goes up also comes down.

We run most of our high RPM 2 cycle engines, for example a chainsaw, and they perform better at altitude 7,000'.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #7

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
I paid $3.39 per gallon for 87 octane yesterday for my car here in central California. I would love to pay $1.99 or even $2 something!!!!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:23 PM   #8

Model: Chateau 28F
THOR #2768
Just filled my class C today in Northern Colorado, $2.14 for 85 octane, $2.33 for 87 octane.. I use 87 octane for coach, which of course is also what is feeding the generator.. never had an issue with either.. if you don't have the Gas Buddie app on your cell phone, I suggest getting it. Really helps you find lowest gas prices.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:26 AM   #9

THOR #3186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
I paid $3.39 per gallon for 87 octane yesterday for my car here in central California. I would love to pay $1.99 or even $2 something!!!!
Fresno,its 2.57
Old 08-23-2017, 01:51 AM   #10

State: Alabama
THOR #6446
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforl View Post
The owners manual states that I should use regular 87 octane gas. I'm traveling in New Mexico and Colorado and the regular gas here is 85 or 86 octane. Should I continue to use that or bump up to the mid range fuel?
As my luck would have it fuel prices are on the rise and if possible I would prefer to go with regular gas. So far the range of prices for gas has been from $1.99/gal to $2.60/gal for regular! I hate to see what mid octanes prices would be!
On a recent excursion out west they had 86 Oct. Used it without issues.
Safe_t_Plus, Spare mount underneath
Dynamat Extreme / Hoodliner Doghouse Treatment
2016vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:33 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
Octane ratings are confusing to many. A lot of "old timers" will put High Test ( higher octane) thinking it burns hotter, will clean the combustion chamber, have more power, etc. etc. etc. Actually higher the octane the slower the burn. So, if you put a higher octane than what the owners manual says it will actually build up carbon in the combustion chamber. Hence the potential for a problem with the more sensitive generator mentioned in the earlier post. Stick as close as possible to the factory specified octane rating. And why the 85 & 86 octane out West when everything is based on 87 octane is a mystery.
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #12

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Are you sure it was 85 octane? Could it possibly have been E85? Two different animals.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #13

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: Maryland
THOR #3227
SuperD, I wondered about the same possible confusion but not having been out West maybe stork could clarify the 85??
2013 Chrysler 300 "S", 1936 Chrysler C-8
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited Edition
Brakeman48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 AM   #14

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
Gas is cheap. Used to pay $3.75/gal for regular and was only getting 8.5mpg.
Now it's practically free.
2019 Honda Ridgeline AWD
Wonderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:19 AM   #15

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
I'm guessing he's talking that E85 crap & that wouldn't be good in the generator, or any other engine in my opinion. With exception on the E85, the 85-86-87 should hurt the engine. I'm not driving all over looking for a 1-2 octane difference or drive out of my way for .02 or .03 cents a gallon. It's like oil, you or I can't look at oil & tell if it's 20,30 or 40 weight, so how's your engine going to tell, if it doesn't have oil it will let you know pretty quick.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:34 AM   #16

THOR #5477
No, Colorado has 85 octane gasoline.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:54 AM   #17

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by philvickie View Post
No, Colorado has 85 octane gasoline.
Colorado did a "scientific" study that showed higher altitudes and less dense air reduced detonation in engines, this lead to reduced octane and 85 gas. There is no true study that confirms this, in fact it is very contradictory to what actually occurs in an engine at altitude. More evidence of government officials meddling in things they know NOTHING about!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #18

THOR #5584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
Gas is cheap. Used to pay $3.75/gal for regular and was only getting 8.5mpg.
Now it's practically free.
I remember "gas wars, and paying $0.25 a gallon! It's got a long way to go to get to practically free. But it's better now than back at nearly $4 a gallon, gotta admit that.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:15 AM   #19

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
On our trip out west this summer we found several states with 85 octane. In addition there were two states that had a separate nozzle offering "non alcohol" blend gasoline which was interesting.

We never entered California so I can't say what them folks are up to. Visited the high points in that state a few years ago and won't be back. Driving a diesel at the time and just remember the quality of diesel went down and the price jumped about .60 per gallon.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM   #20

Brand: Still Looking
State: Washington
THOR #1228
Octane is a measurement of a gasoline's resistance to preignition or knock. Spark ignition engines rely on very precise ignition timing. Combustion occurs when the piston reaches TDC (Top Dead Center). Knock occurs when the fuel air mixture detonates by heat prior to TDC which is bad for the engine. Modern engines have knock sensors and will retard timing and other things to reduce knock. At high altitude the air is less dense and the higher octane isn't required because the computer also injects less fuel. All of this reduces the effective compression ratio of the engines thus reducing knock. The notable exception is turbocharged or supercharged engines that have above atmospheric intake pressure.