Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2022, 02:55 PM   #181

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Back to my "Somebody doing something Slick" Comment

"Gasoline prices go up like a rocket when oil spikes, but only drop like a feather when crude crashes."

There is a slow decline in gasoline prices right now, but the industry hurt consumers by failing to pass savings along to drivers in a timey fashion.

Oil prices are decreasing, gas prices should too. Last time oil was $96 a barrel, gas was $3.62 a gallon. Now it's $4.31. Oil and gas companies shouldn't pad their profits at the expense of all of us.

It has to fall below $3.29/per gallon before I buy anymore gas PERIOD.

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 04:05 PM   #182

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

.....cut....

It has to fall below $3.29/per gallon before I buy anymore gas PERIOD.

I feel your pain.

To be honest, I can get twice the MPG of large Class A like yours by driving at lower speeds, and my tank is only 35 gallons instead of 80 gallons so impact of fuel cost increases are not as bad for me; but even so, at over $4 I think twice about planning a road trip. Your $3.29 would be like me paying over $6 a gallon on an equivalent fuel cost per mile, and if that were the case, I would have cancelled a long trip for next month already.

For foreseeable future I’m sticking to camping and touring in a van, and hope next one can get me close to 20 MPG on gasoline.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:39 PM   #183

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
The largest impact of higher fuel prices will be the sur charges added on by all the freight delivered by truck and that is darn near all of it.

A lot of the big brains and talking heads say we will see significant increases early summer so hope they are wrong.

The real issue is much larger than just fuel as it impacts the cost of everything you consume.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #184

THOR #2121
Agree, though I can control how much I drive easier than how much I eat or a few other things. I think most people will cut back where it is easiest for them first, which depends greatly by individuals.

For us, a lot of gas consumption associated with vehicles is discretionary and can be reduced by eliminating road trips.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:31 PM   #185

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Agree, though I can control how much I drive easier than how much I eat or a few other things. I think most people will cut back where it is easiest for them first, which depends greatly by individuals.

For us, a lot of gas consumption associated with vehicles is discretionary and can be reduced by eliminating road trips.
Exactly and it not all about the money nor what what all I can afford. Case in point; I just spent $400 to buy a new Self Propelled Electric Ryobi Lawnmower. Why because it is one more nail in the old Gas Coffin. The Gas games and pricing has long been a pet peeve of mine. I gonna cut my annualized gas bills if I have to spend $20,000 to do it
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 03-16-2022, 06:41 PM   #186
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Exactly and it not all about the money nor what what all can afford. Case in point; I just spent $400 to buy a new Self Propelled Electric Ryobi Lawnmower. Why because it is one more nail in the old Gas Coffin. The Gas games and pricing has long been a pet peeve of mine. I gonna cut my annualized gas bills if I have to spend $20,000 to do it
Is that a Brandon quote?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #187

State: Alabama
THOR #25796
I left Ft Pierce, FL on the east coast this AM and paid "only" $4.91 for diesel. I'm now in Bradenton on the west coast. Most stations on both sides of the state and in between are now down to $5/gallon with a few a bit above that.

At $5/gallon it costs more to truck the fuel to the stations. Its an endless spiral.

Remember when pumps used to show how many cents per gallon went to state tax and federal tax? What ever happened to full disclosure? Taxes vary from state to state and sometimes prices from county to county, just look at one of those gas price maps.

When the price goes up, the credit card companies make more money. The station owner doesn't make more money. In many cases, the person buying the gas can't afford to go into the station and buy additional things which are the real profit items for most stations these days.

Had headwinds all the way today and only got 15.5 mpg. I was running under 60 all the way too so should have been over 17. Anyone ready to downsize to a Class B yet? Mine might be available sooner rather than later.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:03 PM   #188

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Is that a Brandon quote?
Not intentionally anyway. I actually had to Google that name to keep track of what that even meant I have been known to step in poop and not know it.

This was just D Koldman being D Koldman; I am just fed up with the gas prices. Fed up with being told why did I buy an RV if I couldn't afford to pay extravagant gas prices and on, and on, and on Just because one can afford something does not mean it is acceptable to pay was my point. My current actions in last 4 weeks prove how serious I am and they include the following...

1. Wired my RV so I only the need the Onan 5500 to feed my home's Transfer Switch during and Emergency. Looking to sell my portable Sinemate 3500 and I will stop exercising it the during interim.

2. Purchased new 40V Edger, Trimmer and Blower. Gave away one Toro gas engine head.

3. I like the battery operated 40V so much and since I have a 4AH and 6AH battery paks, I just ordered a new Ryobi 40v Lawnmower. My existing Honda mower is in perfect shape and only 3 years old. If I sell it; I will have some gas cans for sale; the brand new ones are almost impossible to get gas out of anyway with all of the safety latches and emissions controls

So yes... I will still need gas for Cars, SUV, RV, Motorcycles & Boat; but it is a start for me. I feel like I am at least fighting back and reducing my reliance on fuel. I only get 7.5 mpg in my RV, but I am NOT slowing down to 60mph to save on gas that should NOT be expensive as it is to begin with. My tradeoff is $3.29. If the lake is too high I don't go to the lake. If the winds are too high; I don't ride my motorcycles, and if gas is too high; I don't drive my RV. It is as simple as that
Old 03-16-2022, 10:19 PM   #189

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Well everyone 12 ways to save on fuel

What is your favorite?
Mine is the ridiculous one!

8. Avoid traffic jams as much as possible

https://rvlife.com/rv-gas-mileage-tips/
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 10:21 PM   #190

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
What I'd like to see is more functional bicycle paths in my area. There's a Kroger store less than two miles away from me, but I would have to ride on the road in a 45mph zone... NOT doing that. No sidewalks either until you get into town.

The wife just got me a Lectric bike for the birthday - it would be ideal for trips for "odds n ends" grocery. But there are NO bike paths to ANY stores in my area. And politicians want us to conserve on gasoline... yeah right!
Old 03-16-2022, 10:33 PM   #191

THOR #25796
Quote:
Not intentionally anyway. I actually had to Google that name to keep track of what that even meant I have been known to step in poop and not know it.

This was just D Koldman being D Koldman; I am just fed up with the gas prices. Fed up with being told why did I buy an RV if I couldn't afford to pay extravagant gas prices and on, and on, and on Just because one can afford something does not mean it is acceptable to pay was my point. My current actions in last 4 weeks prove how serious I am and they include the following...

1. Wired my RV so I only the need the Onan 5500 to feed my home's Transfer Switch during and Emergency. Looking to sell my portable Sinemate 3500 and I will stop exercising it the during interim.

2. Purchased new 40V Edger, Trimmer and Blower. Gave away one Toro gas engine head.

3. I like the battery operated 40V so much and since I have a 4AH and 6AH battery paks, I just ordered a new Ryobi 40v Lawnmower. My existing Honda mower is in perfect shape and only 3 years old. If I sell it; I will have some gas cans for sale; the brand new ones are almost impossible to get gas out of anyway with all of the safety latches and emissions controls

So yes... I will still need gas for Cars, SUV, RV, Motorcycles & Boat; but it is a start for me. I feel like I am at least fighting back and reducing my reliance on fuel. I only get 7.5 mpg in my RV, but I am NOT slowing down to 60mph to save on gas that should NOT be expensive as it is to begin with. My tradeoff is $3.29. If the lake is too high I don't go to the lake. If the winds are too high; I don't ride my motorcycles, and if gas is too high; I don't drive my RV. It is as simple as that
I can appreciate you're position. Ability to pay should never override one's willingness to pay, especially on an ongoing basis. If you allow that to happen you'll eventually run out of the ability to pay.

I don't know how big your lawn is or how often you mow it, but I don't think its too big if you plan on mowing with a cordless mower. I'm a fan of Ryobi, too. I do have one 40V tool, they are powerful and someday I will also have the 40V chainsaw. I probably have 2 dozen of the 18V ones (including a chainsaw) with some duplication since I tend to carry them in different vehicles and keep some at different properties. It's a very versatile variety of tools. You could buy a lot of fuel for the mower for the amount you spent on those tools and we can only hope that there will be a change in US policy that will open the spigot so we end our dependence on foreign oil again. On the other hand, I find I move more and more toward cordless and even away from corded, more convenient.

I hate those damn gas cans too. FYI, you can buy racing fuel cans that don't have all those gimmicks since they are for "offroad use only"

I bought my Class B with the Lithium package (the battery alone is $6K) and no generator. It won't run the RV off grid for 24 hours unless I'm idling the engine 1/2 the time which is about 1/3 of a gallon of $5 diesel per hour and not good for the motor. The way they've configured all the crap up on the roof it is very difficult and expensive to add solar capacity beyond the meager 190W panel in place. I'm not going to buy another battery for $6K and try to figure out where to put it and wire it. I'd rather carry my little Ryobi 2200 that runs 24 hours on a gallon of fuel if I need to even run it that long. Plus I can recharge my system which requires shore power if the battery drops below 20% - it won't charge off the alternator once that happens.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to park mine just to save $ on fuel. If we can't use it to travel and camp off grid, it's no longer useful to us, period. There are better & cheaper ways to just travel. We have yet to find an RV park on the East Coast that looks inviting and thus far in the Carolinas and Florida we haven't found one that has any openings anyway in the areas where we want to be. I don't like the idea of not knowing if that's my wife snoring next to me or the person in the other RV 3' away.

Too each his own. I don't agree with all your points, but I respect your stance and I hope other people will as well. Life is too short to sit on a pedestal and criticize others. There's already enough Karen's around these days. Good luck with your choices!
Old 03-17-2022, 01:36 AM   #192

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCRUISER View Post
I can appreciate you're position. Ability to pay should never override one's willingness to pay, especially on an ongoing basis. If you allow that to happen you'll eventually run out of the ability to pay.

I don't know how big your lawn is or how often you mow it, but I don't think its too big if you plan on mowing with a cordless mower. I'm a fan of Ryobi, too. The 6AH is rated for 42 minutes which is good for 1/2 acre. I will have 2 6AH batteries but will not need. My point is that I don't need electric right now, but I bought it. Invested $400 to find out; I won't know for sure for few weeks.

I do have one 40V tool, they are powerful and someday I will also have the 40V chainsaw. I probably have 2 dozen of the 18V ones (including a chainsaw) with some duplication since I tend to carry them in different vehicles and keep some at different properties. It's a very versatile variety of tools. You could buy a lot of fuel for the mower for the amount you spent on those tools and we can only hope that there will be a change in US policy that will open the spigot so we end our dependence on foreign oil again. On the other hand, I find I move more and more toward cordless and even away from corded, more convenient.

With the war pending, and the fact that oil has dropped; but prices have not, I have had it. my time to go electric is now, that was and is my other point. Again, it is NOT about the money for me, but the principle. Gas is OVERPRICED, I am fed up with the industry. I have been slow to go electric, that has changed in last month for me.

I hate those damn gas cans too. FYI, you can buy racing fuel cans that don't have all those gimmicks since they are for "offroad use only"

I bought my Class B with the Lithium package (the battery alone is $6K) and no generator. It won't run the RV off grid for 24 hours unless I'm idling the engine 1/2 the time which is about 1/3 of a gallon of $5 diesel per hour and not good for the motor. The way they've configured all the crap up on the roof it is very difficult and expensive to add solar capacity beyond the meager 190W panel in place. I'm not going to buy another battery for $6K and try to figure out where to put it and wire it. I'd rather carry my little Ryobi 2200 that runs 24 hours on a gallon of fuel if I need to even run it that long. Plus I can recharge my system which requires shore power if the battery drops below 20% - it won't charge off the alternator once that happens.

Unlike you, I'm not willing to park mine just to save $ on fuel. If we can't use it to travel and camp off grid, it's no longer useful to us, period. There are better & cheaper ways to just travel. We have yet to find an RV park on the East Coast that looks inviting and thus far in the Carolinas and Florida we haven't found one that has any openings anyway in the areas where we want to be. I don't like the idea of not knowing if that's my wife snoring next to me or the person in the other RV 3' away.

I have only own a RV for 30 months, when it is parked it is no different than all of the rest of my life when I did not have it. My wife and I work everyday and we not married to our RV and don't view life as we missing something when it is not being used. If I need to I will use it because it is mine, the theme of this thread is at what point does the fuel prices impact what you do? Originally I was $3 then moved it up to $3.29 which is what I paid the last time I filled up.

Too each his own. I don't agree with all your points, but I respect your stance and I hope other people will as well. Life is too short to sit on a pedestal and criticize others. There's already enough Karen's around these days. Good luck with your choices!
I have read my post 3 times now, what did you read that make you say "criticize others or refer to Karen" ?

My comments on the other is above.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:41 AM   #193

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
What I'd like to see is more functional bicycle paths in my area. There's a Kroger store less than two miles away from me, but I would have to ride on the road in a 45mph zone... NOT doing that. No sidewalks either until you get into town.

The wife just got me a Lectric bike for the birthday - it would be ideal for trips for "odds n ends" grocery. But there are NO bike paths to ANY stores in my area. And politicians want us to conserve on gasoline... yeah right!
Guess who cleaned and washed her car yesterday? My daughter. She must have read your post about your daughter

If everyone does something shifting toward Electric, it will have a big impact on a crooked industry. We will always need gas for most of our RVs, but we can still chip away at reduce our demand for gas. I am thinking about investing in a Solar farm.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:46 AM   #194

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Well everyone 12 ways to save on fuel

What is your favorite?
Mine is the ridiculous one!

8. Avoid traffic jams as much as possible

https://rvlife.com/rv-gas-mileage-tips/
Of the Options # 1 is my choice. It is a natural for me. Some of the options would prevent me from wanting to use the RV.
Old 03-17-2022, 02:40 PM   #195

THOR #25796
Quote:
I have read my post 3 times now, what did you read that make you say "criticize others or refer to Karen" ?

My comments on the other is above.
There's nothing you said that made me say that, I wasn't even referring to you in that context so I'm sorry if you took it that way. It was just a general comment that there are those on forums who are quick to offer an opinion that is critical of a poster and think they know better when they don't have a clue about the person or their circumstances. I try to avoid being that type of person since I've been a target in the past.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:17 PM   #196

THOR #2121
Quote:
Of the Options # 1 is my choice. It is a natural for me. Some of the options would prevent me from wanting to use the RV.

#5 — Buy smaller RV, is only one that makes enough difference for me to worry about. Everything else helps of course, but on long trips minor improvements that may add 0.1 or 0.25 MPG are not going to affect our travel decisions. I’m definitely not going to stop driving because wind lowers fuel efficiency and stuff like that. I also know very well that many would stop RVing if they had to do it in confines of a van.

When we downsized from 8 MPG small Class C to a van, fuel costs per mile were cut nearly in half. That made spontaneous longer trips more practical. Having said that, we drive much more than typical RVers so we still use about the same amount of gas, just differently.

I don’t regret downsizing at all, preferring to visit more places in a small van than fewer places in greater comfort of larger motorhome. It’s also nice to save on gas whether expensive or cheap. For us savings associated with a van in lieu of a traditional Class A or C motorhome are greatest due to parking it at home, using it as a second car, and much lower maintenance and repair costs.

At 12,000 miles per year (pretty generous), 15 versus 8 MPG, and at $5.00 per gallon, fuel cost difference is around $300 per month ($3,500 per year). That’s a lot, but I was spending much more than that for offsite parking, tags, insurance, inspection, etc., plus having a second car at home anyways. Switching to a van saved cost of fuel, plus other expenses totaling a lot more than additional $300 per month, and that’s not even considering cost of RV itself.

Just saying that for us, savings associated with owning a van versus small Class C buys a lot of extra gas.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:24 PM   #197

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
#5 — Buy smaller RV, is only one that makes enough difference for me to worry about. Everything else helps of course, but on long trips minor improvements that may add 0.1 or 0.25 MPG are not going to affect our travel decisions. I’m definitely not going to stop driving because wind lowers fuel efficiency and stuff like that. I also know very well that many would stop RVing if they had to do it in confines of a van.

When we downsized from 8 MPG small Class C to a van, fuel costs per mile were cut nearly in half. That made spontaneous longer trips more practical. Having said that, we drive much more than typical RVers so we still use about the same amount of gas, just differently.

I don’t regret downsizing at all, preferring to visit more places in a small van than fewer places in greater comfort of larger motorhome. It’s also nice to save on gas whether expensive or cheap. For us savings associated with a van in lieu of a traditional Class A or C motorhome are greatest due to parking it at home, using it as a second car, and much lower maintenance and repair costs.

At 12,000 miles per year (pretty generous), 15 versus 8 MPG, and at $5.00 per gallon, fuel cost difference is around $300 per month ($3,500 per year). That’s a lot, but I was spending much more than that for offsite parking, tags, insurance, inspection, etc., plus having a second car at home anyways. Switching to a van saved cost of fuel, plus other expenses totaling a lot more than additional $300 per month, and that’s not even considering cost of RV itself.

Just saying that for us, savings associated with owning a van versus small Class C buys a lot of extra gas.
How true :

Having said that, I know very well that many would stop RVing if they had to do it in confines of a van.
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 05:48 PM   #198

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
How true :

Having said that, I know very well that many would stop RVing if they had to do it in confines of a van.
Same here, either I drive a lot less or just stay home and walk or drive the golf cart down to the lake

Maybe sit and drink adult beverages but sure not going to travel in a van

That was for my younger days when I and my passenger were a lot more nimble