Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Connecticut
THOR #3785
RV Insurance Recommendation

Hello All!

I just my my renewal notice for my 2016 Challenger from National General/Good Sams and it's 1541.00 per year. I'm 48, in CT and have a clean license. I did some research when I bought the policy for my Class C, but I think I need to think about switching again.

Does what I pay sound like too much? Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies?

Thanks all,

Bill

2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #2

Model: hurricane 32n
State: Florida
THOR #4158
mine is about $1400 and it is with Allied. My C class was 580 per year
Crawfordville Fl. Vietnam Vet.
Jegdrum5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Model: Challenger
THOR #3118
We are a FMCA member and pay $1099 with Allied for a 2016 Challenger.
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
DNS

Model: Challenger 37GT
State: Ohio
THOR #2222
We are with State Farm and pay pretty comparable to you. I contacted the bank last fall and got a waiver to suspend the liability & collision coverage while it's in storage. The cost dropped to a little over $30/mo for comprehensive. We just have to contact the agent prior to heading out to kick the coverage back in.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
my good sams/national general is coming due soon, and they really tried to jack me up
I made a few calls, got the best rate through FMCA, even considering I had to buy a membership. Coverage through Allied/Nationwide
and its even cheaper that my rate last year before they jacked me....
bye bye good sams
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM   #6

Model: Challenger
THOR #3118
Allied and State Farm had the same coverage, actually Allied had better coverage for $400 less. This is through FMCA membership also. Membership is only $50 the first year, $40 after that. Well worth it!
DEimerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Washington
THOR #2123
I had a claim for damaged awning and slightly torn edge on roof from a tree attacking the Vegas during a sharp turn.

Took pictures, visited my Farmers insurance agent, filed claim (through Foremost) and got written quote for replacement of awning and roof. This was all done on a Thursday.

Friday I received call from customer service at Foremost. I emailed pictures to him.

Tuesday I had a direct deposit for full payment, less my deductible, in my bank account.

Definitely recommend Foremost!
Old 06-09-2016, 07:46 PM   #8

Model: Outlaw 29h
State: Missouri
THOR #980
I highly recommend progressive Insurance. I have my motorcycles also insured with them so I get a multi policy discount. About $800.00 for the year, on the MH
Towed: 2013 Jeep Wrangler
Toy hauling: BMW F700 GS & G650 GS (Sertao)
MrZip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:19 PM   #9

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillT View Post
Hello All!

I just my my renewal notice for my 2016 Challenger from National General/Good Sams and it's 1541.00 per year. I'm 48, in CT and have a clean license. I did some research when I bought the policy for my Class C, but I think I need to think about switching again.

Does what I pay sound like too much? Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance companies?

Thanks all,

Bill
We added our new 2016 ACE 29.3 to our Hartford policy (through AARP) and it cost less than $500 per year for full coverage. It even includes towing. For what you pay ($1,541 per year) we insure two autos and our motorhome. When I got a quote from Good Sam they wanted almost $1,500 per year just for our coach.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:58 AM   #10

Model: Challenger 37TB
THOR #3785
I just got a quote from GEICO and they said 810.00 per year. It appears that Good Sam/National General is really screwing me. Now I'm thinking about switching my cars as well.
2016 Challenger 37TB
BillT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #11

Model: 25.2 Axis
State: Arizona
THOR #3471
2010 Prius liability only, 2015 kia soul full coverage, 2016 axis full coverage, age 69 perfect driving record wife same total bill from GEICO $444 every 6 months. A lot has to do with age driving record where you live retired
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #12

Model: Tuscany XTE
State: Washington
THOR #4257
Was with Allied. Got a quote from Geico and am saving $560.00 per year for combination RV and Toad with same coverages.

Bob
Old 06-16-2016, 12:24 AM   #13

Model: Palazzo 33.2
THOR #3421
Progressive---$78.00 per month, which came as a surprise that it was so inexpensive.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:08 AM   #14

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
We just bought a Hurricane 29M on Saturday so I have been searching for insurance the past couple of days. Ended up with Nationwide/Allied $620 per year same coverage I have on my cars. Progressive was a close second.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:56 AM   #15

Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
Insurance Premium

Bill,

I am paying $952 per year in Southern Calif with Progressive; and that is a stand-alone policy, no bundling with homeowners or other autos. Sounds to me like you should be in for some major savings with a little due diligence.

Good luck
Old 07-15-2016, 11:33 AM   #16

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Nexus Viper 27V
State: Georgia
THOR #2142
Smaller RUV here, but our 2016 Vegas was up for renewal 30May16 thru Nationwide/Allied Property and Casuality INs Co at $631.63. So far only claim has been a chipped windshield...paid for repair at 100% no deductible (no out of pocket expense).

Doc

DocMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:43 PM   #17

Model: Tuscany 38sq
THOR #4598
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Bill,

I am paying $952 per year in Southern Calif with Progressive; and that is a stand-alone policy, no bundling with homeowners or other autos. Sounds to me like you should be in for some major savings with a little due diligence.

Good luck

Oh, and BTW, my policy is for a Class A 2016 Tuscany XTE 34ST which I think is a little more expensive than the rig you are looking to insure. Again, it sounds to me like you should definitely be in store for some significant savings unless there is something peculiar to insuring in Connecticut. Now go get those savings
Old 03-11-2017, 11:44 PM   #18
mjs

State: Alaska
THOR #6545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
Bill,

Good luck

I have stand alone insurance through progressive I was told they don't cover the inside or slide outs and I looking the wrong place class A 2012 hurricane 31A
Ty
Old 03-12-2017, 01:05 AM   #19
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs View Post
I have stand alone insurance through progressive I was told they don't cover the inside or slide outs and I looking the wrong place class A 2012 hurricane 31A
Ty
The 'auto insurance' type policy isn't going to cover the RV mechanicals... They cover your liability, collision, comprehensive (fire, theft, glass, etc). Your personal contents are often covered under a homeowners or renters policy.

If you want to cover the mechanical systems in the RV - you need an extended service plan. A different animal and expense.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 01:36 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
You really can't judge insurance cost unless you know the location, policy deductibles and insurance value of the coach. For instance, I am in Kentucky which is a no fault state with mandatory full glass coverage. This adds about $300 yearly to the basic insurance policy of a state that doesn't have these restrictions. If the motohome is located principally in a city, it is more expensive to insure than one with a rural address.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote