Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Mirramar 34.2
State: Saskatchewan
THOR #6138
Could be cold.

I just purchased a 2015 Thor Marimar and was not impressed with the cab heat on the way home at 0 Celsius. Not sure what's going to happen in Feb when we leave northern Saskatchewan to go south. Could be very cold for 2 or 3 days. Just read there is a recall on the heater? Any suggestions for extra heat if necessary. I will be installing a winter front.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by fchabotski
Any suggestions for extra heat if necessary.
Run the furnace. They can be run while going down the road; just remember to turn it off before fueling.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
no 'large' coach will have sufficient chassis heat when driving in very frigid temps - we plug in a 750w electric heater between the front seats - the inverter may can handle it while the alternator provides charging, but the AGS for the generator can also be set to come on when the volts drop too low(battery levels) to keep the heater running...

or
yes, run the propane furnace
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:58 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
I second, or actually third, what was said above. Run the coach furnace, it doesn't need 120v, only 12v for fan. The dash heater will not warm a class A coach when it's cold outside.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #5

Model: Miramar 33.5
State: Florida
THOR #5240
We were just in Chicago. Forget the cab heat.. Furnace worked well.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Model: A.C.E. 27.1
State: Texas
THOR #2240
Hi guys,
I installed a ceiling curtain track so that the curtain falls just behind the front drivers seats for night driving (keeps interior lights and reflections off the windshield). But it also has the added benefit of keeping the cool/hot air confined to to the cockpit only. so the chassis heater/aircon does not have to try and heat/cool the whole coach when travelling during the day also. Very cheap to do and looks neat when pulled and tied back against the side walls. reminds me of an aircraft cockpit back in the day.

Safe and happy New Year
Tex

ps. Just a thoght, in my coach it also acts as a privacy curtain for the drop down bunk. A barrier from external radiant heat in the summer into the living area, alternatively reduces the sq ft the aircon has to try and cool....
Old 12-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
THOR #5246
Back in my silly days, when we thought it was a good idea to camp in central Illinois for Christmas with family and then start south, we had 5th wheels. When traveling in those we even ran the RV furnace so we wouldn't have to winterize going down the road.

I am thinking no matter if you have a 5th wheel or MH, you would certainly want as much heat though out the entire unit when traveling down the highway in winter temps, unless the unit is totally winterized.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Model: Miramar 33.5
THOR #5240
The Miramar furnace is vented into the tank compartments to prevent frozen pipes. If you are only using the cab heat you risk having issues if not winterized.