Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2020, 09:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Furnance with combo combustion outlet/inlet

Long story:

My heater stopped working last night. We are in on the beach at Ocean Lakes Campground in Myrtle Beach and had some really really really heavy winds and my heater quit working. Didn't know it until I got up and turned temp up. Nothing. heater was dead wouldn't fire, run fan, ..silence. Started troubleshooting. Had gas, power, thermostat ok. Decided to check the fuse, pulled it tested and plugged back in. Bingo, Heater started up fired 3 times then locked out.

To shorten the story this happened several times. Apparently when the heater misfires it does a long delay before it resets and lets you try it again.

It was Christmas day and no repair shops were open. Going down to 25 tonight so time to do some serious troubleshooting.

I suspected one of the sail switches had failed and that probably was half-right. I removed the outside cover wiggled all of the connections and banged on the fan unit several times. Success. It started working and hasn't missed once 10 hours later.

Here is my theory. This unit only has an single outlet/intake for combustion. The firing chamber also uses inside air from the coach for combustion. Just like most home gas furnaces. The wind was so strong it forced the vane switch that detects combustion air flow, backwards and it stuck. (the winds last night ware 35 to 45 mph, The furnace side of the coach was facing the wind which was blowing thru the combustion chamber and into the camper)

My learning from this. 1. When I get home I plan on inspecting the device that detects air flow and probably replace it. 2. Those furnaces that have both an separate external intake and exhaust are possibly a better design if for no other reason than they don't allow outside air to blow into the RV (winter and summer). All of this is of course supposition on my part, not being an expert on these units by any means.

Opinions?????

Old 12-25-2020, 10:29 PM   #2

Model: 37LS outlaw
State: New Jersey
THOR #5248
Think you are right on with your diagnosis.

Off subject, I always spend the whole month of October in Lakewood next door and always thought of spending time down there this time of year. Overall, do you like this time of year?
Old 12-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
This is the reason we carry electric space heaters for campground use.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #4

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I screen captured the op and put it in my
'what fresh hell is this'
File.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:07 AM   #5

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkyte@msn.com View Post
Think you are right on with your diagnosis.

Off subject, I always spend the whole month of October in Lakewood next door and always thought of spending time down there this time of year. Overall, do you like this time of year?

Weve been coming down here for Christmas and New Years for about 30 years. There are always some cold days but most are warm. 2 days ago it was up to 72! Most of the week has been mild and walking on the beach has been delightful. Cant speak for Lakewood but in Ocean Lakes it seems like everyone loves to decorate with lights. Quiet festive. Also they have an indoor pool thats usually open. New Years firework are great too!
Old 12-26-2020, 02:10 AM   #6

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
This is the reason we carry electric space heaters for campground use.

We do too. Our main limitation on electric is our 30Amp service. But we also have electric blankets in a pinch.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #7

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Two oscillator 110v heaters for us. They take up only a small amount of space and are worthy of any space you need to sacrifice.
And
post 339 in my signature thread is about an axillary heater which will COOK you for under a gallon of fuel in 12 hours.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html
and
Our v10 uses right at 1/2 gallon per hour at idle(about the same as the generator). Heater works well.
And
Our electric blankets are hooked to our echo/elexa.

Echo, turn on electric blankets.
OK, preheating beds.

Note
You can't use the digital type electric blankets. Even a static shock from a carpet will turn those off and on and echo won't work with them.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:25 PM   #8

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Two oscillator 110v heaters for us. They take up only a small amount of space and are worthy of any space you need to sacrifice.
And
post 339 in my signature thread is about an axillary heater which will COOK you for under a gallon of fuel in 12 hours.
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...n-18996-3.html
and
Our v10 uses right at 1/2 gallon per hour at idle(about the same as the generator). Heater works well.
And
Our electric blankets are hooked to our echo/elexa.

Echo, turn on electric blankets.
OK, preheating beds.

Note
You can't use the digital type electric blankets. Even a static shock from a carpet will turn those off and on and echo won't work with them.

Duckface, you are indeed the King of gadgets !