Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #5137
Furnace question for Freedom Elite 29FE

Okay so we took our new motor home out over Labor Day weekend for the first time, we used the furnace with no issues while hooked up to shore power. Honestly do not remember if we turned the generator on or not.

Took the camper back out for one last time before we put it into storage last weekend and went to use the furnace (hooked up to shore power) and nothing. It would "click" on but not fire up.

Took the motor home back to Camping World for some warranty work before we put it up for the year and we went out to the parking lot and turned on the generator and the furnace fired right up.

They said the furnace will not run off from just electric.

So my question is, do we have to have the generator running for the furnace to work ?

Doesn't sound right to me, but we are complete newbies to RV'ing.

BTW the owners manual does not have anything regarding the operation of the furnace.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Rich & Tina

Old 10-08-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
The furnace should run with NO 110 electric being provided - either generator or shore power...
The blower runs on 12v - the heat source is propane.

Typically air conditioners, microwaves, and TVs are the primary needs for 110AC via shore power OR genny (OR inverter for some)... Some have an option for AC for water heater (but runs on propane too), or heating pads on the waste tanks for cold weather... And of course some have residential refrigerators which need 110 as well.

(In general - if on shore power, there would be no need for the genny running at all... Only exception I've seen was my old 2000 Infinity. It had 30 amp service that could only power one AC - needed the genny AND shore power if I wanted to run both AC units...)

One possibility to not igniting is air in the gas lines... I typically 'purge' the lines after propane has been off by lighting one or more burners on the stove. Typically takes a minute to light - and then the fridge and furnace are happy.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
State: Arizona
THOR #3610
Possible your house batteries were low also, after driving they recharged.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:37 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #1226
Did it rain or you washed the RV, could it be moisture on the heater circuit board?

2015 Hurricane 27K
2013 Redhawk
1988 Pace Arrow
fivejackie is offline   Reply With Quote