Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #10660
Furnace too hot?

2013 Thor Hurricane 32A. New to us Motorhome. Camped this weekend and it got in low 30’s. Turned on furnace. Air coming from vents was very hot. Couldn’t keep you hand in front of vents but a few seconds. Furnace ran for 5 - 8 minutes and would shut off. Temperature in Motorhome had not warmed up to temperature set on thermostat. Stayed off about an hour then came back on. Again, very hot air coming from vents. Stayed on about 5 - 8 minutes and shut off. Still not up to temperature in Motorhome. Any ideas??? We are new to this.....Thanks in advance.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:15 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The furnaces are either "on", or "off". The thermostat is meant to control what temperature it will heat the interior of your RV to.
You could have your dealer check to see if it's operating at the right temperatures...
Sorry: I don't know much more than that about them: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:42 AM   #3

Model: Palazzo 33.3
State: Tennessee
THOR #13840
@ wthigpen
Have you checked all heat registers to ensure they are open and unobstructed?
Old 12-23-2018, 01:53 AM   #4
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Adventure View Post
@ wthigpen
Yep. How much air is coming out? Sounds like not enough air flow through the furnace and it shuts down on overtemp.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #5

THOR #10660
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.Adventure View Post
@ wthigpen
Not all. Will do that in the morning. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:45 AM   #6

THOR #10660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
Yep. How much air is coming out? Sounds like not enough air flow through the furnace and it shuts down on overtemp.
Will check them
In the morning. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Please let us know what you find, and good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:47 PM   #8

THOR #10660
Checked all registers. Plenty of air coming out of each I believe. Air intake not restricted. Everything in furnace compartment looks good to me. Not sure what to do next.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:51 PM   #9

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
Is the coach comfortable, too cold or too hot?

It sounds like normal operation for me. It is a forced hot air system. Furnace turns on and floods the room(s) with very hot air. When the thermostat senses the right temp the furnace turns off. I’m in KY right now at 34 degrees at night and that’s how mine is working. The thermostat can be the key player in this. If it is an analog one then you might get close to room temp you set it at. If it is digital, maybe a little better. They have a swing to them. Also if it is near the bedroom then is is going to sense the temp there.

Best thing to invest in is a couple of cheap thermometers and set them in the coach.

Listen to the furnace closely, it turns on and cold air comes out for 30-45 seconds, then you can hear a deeper roar as the propane ignites and it runs like that for 6-7 minutes, very hot air out of register, then it goes back to just the fan running for 30-45 seconds to flush the propane fumes out and get the last bit of hot air in the coach. If it is doing this then I would say you are good.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:07 AM   #10

THOR #10660
Thank you. That is pretty much what it is doing ,but it doesn’t get the Motorhome to desired temperature before it shuts off. Will get some thermometers to check temperature. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2018, 02:06 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthigpen View Post
Thank you. That is pretty much what it is doing ,but it doesn’t get the Motorhome to desired temperature before it shuts off. Will get some thermometers to check temperature. Merry Christmas!
It could be the thermostat signal is not shutting the heater off, but the burner over temp switch is. When the over temp switch comes back on and the thermostat is still calling for heat, the furnace fires back up. First look for a blockage in the burners exhaust system. It it clear you probably have either to much propane pressure (11 inches of water is desired) or a defective burner spray nozzle.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #12

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Check for hi temp sensor problem, thermostat problem, or some sort of air restriction (duct work) or intake/exhaust obstruction.

Most like to replace the thermostat with a digital one - so if its an upgrade you plan on doing anyway its not like its a waste of money and it would (hopefully) eliminate this item from your potental problem list.

I can put my hand in front of my registers (with heater on of coarse) and its really hot but not so hot I cant hold my hand in front of it for a while. Im not trying to touch the register itself (im a few inches from it).

Let us know what you find out so we can help others down the road.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote