Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Hurricane 29M
State: Florida
THOR #9033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
It’s not a model specific issue or even a manufacturer specific one. It’s just the way a large percentage of RVs are made. It’s been that way for at least 7 or 8 years. There are many hundreds or thousands of cases. If the failure happens during the warranty period you usually can get it fixed for free - although it’s likely to be done with the same crappy stuff that also won’t last. It’s just something you’ll have to deal with - like buying new tires. Ridiculous, but there it is. I think there’s not much chance of success for legal action since there is no legal obligation to make durable finishes.
In our storage area alone, we see the same problem with Newmars, Jaycos, Tiffins, and Entegras to mention a few along with Thors. And when it starts, it's a fast downhill slide.

Old 12-30-2020, 09:58 PM   #42

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: Texas
THOR #3182
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
https://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/...t-package.html
$2,500 erases hate and discontent.
Easy.
Less than 2% of initial purchase price of the rv.
Cheap. Happy. Huge upgrade. Color choices. Console. Wine holder.
I just finished (today) replacing all of our 2015 Palazzo's furniture we ordered from shop4seats. We ordered the package in March and received it Christmas eve due to Covid they claim. They didn't mind holding our money for nine months though.

Anyway, our situation was pretty similar to everyone else's... it was fine one day and a few weeks later every single piece looked terrible.
We ended up removing the booth, installing a corner (ell) shaped couch along with a jack knife sleeper and two recliners. Replaced both driver and passenger seats as well.
I'm sure we could have gotten it all re-covered for less than our $6k but now we have it set up how we want.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:05 PM   #43

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
We just bought a used 2015 THOR ACE 29.3 a few weeks ago. The driver and passenger seats were in bad shape but the jackknife sofa appeared good and the dinette had a few tears/scrapes on it. Now in just a few weeks, the sofa has many places where the fabric is shedding...basically it is disintegrating by the day. Is this a common problem with this model. We got one estimate to recover both driver and passenger chairs, the sofa and the dinette...$3,000 $3,500. Ouch...can anyone give us some advice or feedback on this issue?
For that kind of money you can replace it all from shop4seats.com
Old 12-30-2020, 10:12 PM   #44

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks View Post
Thank you! That was the answer I was needing about the rv furniture coming in sections. Was just wondering how to get the dinette out and if the jackknife sofa is attached to the wall. We also want to make sure the seat belts go in correctly since we will have car seats for the little ones. Di you know anything about this?
This is the shop4seats Deleon recliner setup we just replaced our 68” jackknife with. Around $1500 and a 45 day wait.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EA3BE20E-4E73-4E90-9EA5-E5BEF8EE29B1.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	27856  
Old 12-30-2020, 10:15 PM   #45

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandvalen38 View Post
We had the same problem with our motorhome. We took it to the Recovery Room in Riverside, CA and had the furniture that was in the motorhome recovered. He quoted $5000.00 for the drivers seat, passenger seat, large sofa, small sofa and booth dinette. The upgrade to Ultraleather was an additional $1,000.00. He did an excellent job. It's been 2 1/2 years now and it still looks brand new.
Did they say how long ultraleather will last compared to real leather?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:35 PM   #46

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Did they say how long ultraleather will last compared to real leather?
It's been a while, so I could be wrong, but it used to have the exact same warranty as the low-line stuff.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 11:16 PM   #47

Model: Mandalay Valencia 38C
THOR #21670
I didn't ask. I liked the feel of the Ultraleather but I don't know if it will last any longer.
Old 12-30-2020, 11:44 PM   #48

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
I was looking it up but all i found was companies saying how great it was. I would think by now that a product would be as good as leather or better
Old 12-31-2020, 01:18 AM   #49

State: Massachusetts
THOR #20352
i have a 2014 thor ace 30.1 and this is common problem with the material it's fo leather or fake vinyl and if yoi clean with anything other than mild soap or water it will peel like a bad sunburn i rent my rig out and the first renter used lysol wipes on it and the whole interior as couch seats all peeled i had to do the interior over with marine vinyl good thing i had a friend who does that kind of work but your best bet is to use marine vinyl and just do the whole thing over like i did cost was 5800 but well worth it
Old 12-31-2020, 01:19 AM   #50

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Red face Thor ACE Many Issues

We bought an 2016 Thor Ace 29.3 with only 7,000 miles last year.
The furniture fabric is only one of many issues we have had.
I was told a few months ago that Thor motorhomes are at the bottom of the list when it comes to quality and I have experienced that on every trip we took in 2020.
From cheap water line fittings that leak in very hard to get places, water heater that broke down (circuit board went bad) during one trip, cheap seki tv's that don't work at some campgrounds cable system, replaced, broken drawer catches, rear tail light wood rotting from leaks around the lights, catch this before it becomes a serious issue, cheap floor covering coming apart, electrical issues, plumbing lines hot and cold that were switched at factory, exterior fiberglass finish hazy and becoming discolored, the seats and love seats falling apart and many more.
It's scary going on a trip knowing something will probably break.
All this on a 4 year old MH with only 7,000 miles.
Hmmm, I wonder why previous owner traded it in???
Good looking MH - Crappy quality.
Best of Luck with yours!
Old 12-31-2020, 02:22 AM   #51

Model: Axis 25.3
State: Alabama
THOR #20803
Brooks call Cory at All In RV, 334-316-8505. There’s a place in Michigan that sells NEW RV furniture and ships for free. The furniture comes out of new RVs that get a custom re-do.
Toad-undecided
Thor 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:28 AM   #52

THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeace29.3 View Post
We bought an 2016 Thor Ace 29.3 with only 7,000 miles last year.
The furniture fabric is only one of many issues we have had.
I was told a few months ago that Thor motorhomes are at the bottom of the list when it comes to quality and I have experienced that on every trip we took in 2020.
From cheap water line fittings that leak in very hard to get places, water heater that broke down (circuit board went bad) during one trip, cheap seki tv's that don't work at some campgrounds cable system, replaced, broken drawer catches, rear tail light wood rotting from leaks around the lights, catch this before it becomes a serious issue, cheap floor covering coming apart, electrical issues, plumbing lines hot and cold that were switched at factory, exterior fiberglass finish hazy and becoming discolored, the seats and love seats falling apart and many more.
It's scary going on a trip knowing something will probably break.
All this on a 4 year old MH with only 7,000 miles.
Hmmm, I wonder why previous owner traded it in???
Good looking MH - Crappy quality.
Best of Luck with yours!
Why haven't you sold it?

Old 12-31-2020, 02:29 AM   #53

State: Alaska
THOR #5332
Upholstery Replacement

Give Rick Baldwin with Fabric Services a try.(http://fabserv.com/) he supplies all the manufacturers with there fabrics.

I replaced my jackknife sofa with a dinette I built and wanted my cushions to match the driver and passenger seats, under the driver or passenger seats is the manufacturer information (Tag) he will need to match the replacement fabric, you will have to find someone that can build the covers,, just an option.

Seems like every time I post someone out there will correct the information above,,,

I hope this works for you.
Old 12-31-2020, 04:36 PM   #54

THOR #16750
i had some of the issues, with my 2015 Thor Four Winds, now with 106k.
I recovered the jack knife sofa and the complete dinette seats, bottom and backs. with new foam and new fabrics. He also recovered the bottom board for storage under the Jack Knife sofa. Completely looks and feels new. The foam was gone and the new foam feels great. I got a local guy to do all the work and we are very happy. Cost was $800.00 to recover everything that had fabric on it, even the top bands around the dinette. Look for a local dealer.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:07 PM   #55

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #20931
Lucky you

Seems you were actually one of the lucky ones, to me. We have a 2016 a year newer, only 32,000 miles on it and every seat with vinyl covering is was completely useless. I have honestly had vehicles that were 20 years old and still had better seats then in these Thor RV's. I say if yours lasted from 2015-2020 you have a lucky streak.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:35 PM   #56

THOR #13932
'I have honestly had vehicles that were 20 years old and still had better seats then in these Thor RV's.'

Once more, with feeling:
This is not a Thor problem no matter how much anyone wants/needs it to be.
It's debunked every time it's mentioned here as a Thor problem.

Second verse, same as the first.
Not Thor.
Worldwide provider problem across house furniture, plane furniture, boat furniture anything vinyl covered anywhere.

Old 12-31-2020, 05:58 PM   #57
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
What Ducky said is 100% true.
My Dad's John Derek Gator has a pair of buckets seats, and the covers disintegrated in about 6 Months...
Old 12-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #58

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Worldwide provider problem across house furniture, plane furniture, boat furniture anything vinyl covered anywhere.[/QUOTE]

I’m wouldn’t even go so far as to say it is a provider problem. It’s cheap, crappy fake leather and the providers have known for many years that it won’t last and they keep using it. Apparently they simply aren’t interested in providing long lasting seats. Or they look at seats as expendable parts like batteries or tires. Weird. It’s only a customer problem.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #59

THOR #13932
Damn gator seats are about 169 bucks each.
I had yellow ones.
One went bad after it turned black. The other is OK.
They're now replaced with black seats on closeout at 44 bucks.
And life goes on.
I could moan and hissy or connipition.
I don't. I didn't.
I chose happy. I choose happy.

I could blame the Chinese, John deere, the salesperson.
I did the research. I knew of the problem. I made a choice.

Those that don't know prior also made a choice.
RV forums have shown these complaints weekly since about 2006.
What was the surprise?

Every single owner, new or used, had the option to upgrade to pigskin or bullhide or ostrich or vinyl you picked yourself clear down to shade and complimentary color.

All you had to do was ask.
'this is an entry level vehicle. What I can I do to make it better? I hated those yugo seats and bought the recaros, I wonder about this rv...? I bought the Denali not the base silverado, how does that work on this rv?'
If you wanted better you could have had better.
If you want better now, you can have better now.

What does the speculation of fault of others accomplish?
It sure ain't happy....

Old 12-31-2020, 06:15 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
At least the Gator forum members didn't complain about how crappy their UTVs were...