Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2021, 01:35 PM   #101

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
" The last one worked a lot w Tiffin so I kinda understood his price but I'm not putting that kind of money in a Thor product."
If you used him: you'd have a "Thiffin"!
RED BAY, Ala. (AP) — Indiana-based Thor Industries Inc. said Monday it had bought family-owned Tiffin Motorhomes, the Alabama-based manufacturer of high-end recreational vehicles, in a deal worth $300 million.

Old 09-30-2021, 01:37 PM   #102
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgg View Post
Has anyone filled a lawsuit over this.its seems like it’s wide range problem
As I replied to the same question in the other thread:

Against who? The Chinese fabric supplier? The chair manufacturer? The multiple RV manufacturers (yes, it's not just a Thor issue)?
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #103

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgg View Post
Has anyone filled a lawsuit over this.its seems like it’s wide range problem

With all respect, why would you think that might work? The warranty is for one year and very few people report problems within that timeframe. And when they do the manufacturers are quick to fix the affected furniture. Obviously we all expect better than one year of good service from most of what we buy but there is no legal obligation for that. I’m one who had the problem within months of purchasing my 2019 Newmar and I’m not happy about it. But it is being repaired and life goes on.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:12 PM   #104

Model: Chateau 24F
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
With all respect, why would you think that might work? The warranty is for one year and very few people report problems within that timeframe. And when they do the manufacturers are quick to fix the affected furniture. Obviously we all expect better than one year of good service from most of what we buy but there is no legal obligation for that. I’m one who had the problem within months of purchasing my 2019 Newmar and I’m not happy about it. But it is being repaired and life goes on.
There's an old phrase that applies: "Buyer beware".
Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose... but if no one died, learn from a mistake and move on.

I've been "stung" many times from shoddily made products. I've even been stung (HARD) by "out of network" medical expenses - don't get me started!

But as you age, wisdom and experience teaches you which battles to pick - and the likelihood of a favorable outcome.
Old 09-30-2021, 02:44 PM   #105
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
RED BAY, Ala. (AP) — Indiana-based Thor Industries Inc. said Monday it had bought family-owned Tiffin Motorhomes, the Alabama-based manufacturer of high-end recreational vehicles, in a deal worth $300 million.
You see: I am now the official "Red-Headed Stepchild".
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #106

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
So much for Tiffin = Quality!
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 04:01 PM   #107
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nursx2 View Post
Don't stick a fork in them just yet... They will remain as a separate entity...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:01 PM   #108

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Here's another one of those threads that defends Thor and it's cut rate practices to the end. I have said it before, where were you folks when I worked for a living? Life would have been so much easier selling poor quality printing at inflated prices to a customer base that was ignorant of anything else.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 05:29 PM   #109

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
Here's another one of those threads that defends Thor and it's cut rate practices to the end. I have said it before, where were you folks when I worked for a living? Life would have been so much easier selling poor quality printing at inflated prices to a customer base that was ignorant of anything else.
Right!
Traveling with Shih Tzu's Baily, Bella and Maltese Buster. Towing, Golf Cart, Harley or Polaris RZR. 3 of our darling Shih Tzu's passed away recently and I just can't take them off of here. RIP Baxter, Baili & sweet sweet Bella. Buster is our little rock.
DogLovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #110

Model: 2015 Hurricane 34 J
THOR #1295
Thanks for saying it like it is!

Thor will run it to the same crappy quality.
2019 Honda Accord 2.0T Sport 6 speed manual
(THOR)
Nursx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #111

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Thanks for saying it like it is!

Thor will run it to the same crappy quality.
Thor MC is a low cost manufacturer and competes with Coachman and REV. Each Thor MC factory is is responsible for itself only and not what the Thor MC factory down the street or in the next town does or produces. Thor MC is not competing with Jayco or Tiffin. Although Thor MC plant 850 manufactures RED coaches, it does not compete with Entegra or Tiffin's REDs. All you have to do is look at the MSRP for the different size coaches and see that they are not competitors in price or quality. Thor Industries had not run Airstream or Entegra in the ground, so why they would change Tiffin's successful marking and manufacturing systems? The Tiffins and Botrangers sold out because they could no longer finance the new factory modifications and improvements for the newer lines and models of coaches. RV manufacturing requires a huge capital investment. Wittiness the 750 million dollar new factory for Airstream in Jackson Center to increase the Airstream production from 48 trailers week to 68, as well as the new 125 million new Class A paint shop Wakarusa.

Thor Industries bough AirXcel, so they could force modern coach A/C systems that use R-1234YF, have soft start, have much greater efficiencies and smaller profiles. Coleman had been slow to be environmentally responsible in producing the needed A/C, for the Class B hybred models coming. Thor Industries did the same with Postle Aluminum when they bought that company. https://www.thorindustries.com/thor-...ostle-aluminum
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 09:50 PM   #112

State: California
THOR #9073
Thumbs down Poor Quality Uphostery in 2017 Thor Aria

We have experienced the same poor quality upholstery as many of you have posted in our 2017 Thor Aria. Both front seats, theater seats, sofa and dinette areas are all flaking and peeling. I researched the manuafacturer and discovered that my driver and passenger front seats were made by the Villa International RV Furniture Inc in Cerritos, CA. I was able to locate an embroidered logo inside of the back pocket/map holder behind the driver seat. After speaking with one of their represenatatives, the company takes responsibility for the shoddy material but made no effort in correcting my problem due to the warranty expiration date. They also did not take responsibility for my other furniture items in my unit eventhough the vinyl was exactly the same as my driver and passenger seat. However, the company rep was ready to either sell me new furniture or reupholster my existing for for their going rate. Wow!!!!
Old 04-05-2023, 09:54 PM   #113
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
OK, did you expect them to replace your 5 year old furniture? That manufacturer bought the same crappy material as all the other manufacturers in that time period. Some people got some warranty relief from Newmar as I recall, if their furniture flaked withing 2 years. % years is really stretching it.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 12:05 AM   #114

State: California
THOR #9073
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
OK, did you expect them to replace your 5 year old furniture? That manufacturer bought the same crappy material as all the other manufacturers in that time period. Some people got some warranty relief from Newmar as I recall, if their furniture flaked withing 2 years. % years is really stretching it.
Absolutely! If not, they should have made some effort to mitigate the poor quality upholstery that they were using five years ago. I have had residential furniture last 4 times as long as this stuff and we use our household furniture everyday. Not very good customer service at all. But, I wasn't surprised. Our reupholstery bill is right around $6,000 which will cover all of the seating in my coach. I get the "warranty" issue regarding this matter. But, it is their apathy that sets me off!
Old 04-06-2023, 01:01 AM   #115

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchoc3 View Post
Absolutely! If not, they should have made some effort to mitigate the poor quality upholstery that they were using five years ago. I have had residential furniture last 4 times as long as this stuff and we use our household furniture everyday. Not very good customer service at all. But, I wasn't surprised. Our reupholstery bill is right around $6,000 which will cover all of the seating in my coach. I get the "warranty" issue regarding this matter. But, it is their apathy that sets me off!

T’isin’t so much apathy as it is arrogance. They knew the material would last the one year warranty and that is where their interests ended. It’s pretty short sighted, I’m thinking but it was a good gig for everyone involved - except for the end user - and they ran it for a good five or six years. At least. Might still be happening for all I know,
Old 05-01-2023, 09:14 PM   #116

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
How to remove the backs to recover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I took the 4 dinette cushions and two sections of the jackknife couch (armrest and bottom panel) to a local golf cart enclosure company that a couple of years ago redid my enclosure trim for my golf cart. They recovered all 6 sections for $900 and they matched the existing tan pleather. As far as the driver and passenger front seats, I have ordered Scottsdale Tan seat covers for $210 both that will arrive in a couple of weeks. In my research I have heard great comments about the fit and durability of these covers which are manufactured to the specs of the seats you have in your vehicle.
Can you remove the dinette backs to recover? They are now deteriorating. I already recovered the benches
Thanks for any help
Old 05-02-2023, 01:13 PM   #117

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Tiffin = Quality.... Don't make me laugh. While I had few problems with my low-end Tiffin Allegro. I have gotten an earful from High-end Allegro Buss owners I have parked next to about the stuff that has gone wrong with their units. It's as though the more expensive units with more bells and whistles have more that can go wrong.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:24 PM   #118

State: Massachusetts
THOR #2883
How to remove backs from the wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambasatrvl View Post
Can you remove the dinette backs to recover? They are now deteriorating. I already recovered the benches
Thanks for any help
How did you remove the backs from the wall
Old 06-06-2023, 05:20 PM   #119

Model: ACE - 29
State: Arkansas
THOR #6797
I simply glued material over the old. Looks good and is high quality.
Old 10-21-2023, 01:47 PM   #120

State: North Carolina
THOR #11509
Not Just RV Furniture

The vinyl on our jackknife sofa has disintegrated. in our 2017 Quantum. The captains chairs and dinette seem to be a slightly different color and texture. Maybe they'll last. Incidentally, a couple years ago, we had a set of home furniture from Rooms to Go that disintegrated the same way.