Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2021, 02:56 AM   #1
ACB

Brand: Still Looking
State: Florida
THOR #22173
2022 Thor 29j

Anyone add air bags, Sumo’s or any other suspension upgrades to a 2022 29j? We purchased our unit about a month ago and currently about 1/2 thru a 9,500 mile trip exploring the USA. Unit is running exceptionally well and is handling the weight of 2 Motorcycles just fine, just concerned as things wear the rear springs might need some help. FYI with both bikes loaded the 29j does not even drop 3/4 of a inch

Old 07-15-2021, 11:07 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I owned a 2018 29H... that was before Thor downsized the garage because putting anything in it was making the coach overweight. My garage was supposed to be able to carry 1500lbs. I carried a Can-Am Spyder that weighed about 1100lbs and the coach was over the GVWR. That garage had nowhere near a 1500lbs carrying capacity.

I did install Sumo Springs all the way around but I also installed heavy duty sway bars and a steering stabilizer. The handling and ride quality was terrible but all of those changes made a big difference.

If you feel your coach handles fine, I would do two upgrades... and in this order:

1) Replace the stock LT tires with a commercially rated truck tire. The Light Truck tires are not designed to be carrying full capacity at all times like they are with a motorhome. It is also likely you are at their max carrying weight. A commerical truck tire is deisgned to carry heavy loads full time at highway speeds and it will give you a cushion in terms of carrying capacity.

2) Put Sumo Springs on all the way around. This will help soften the ride and add some support for the suspension.

It would be worth getting your coach weighed with both bikes in the garage to know where you stand and if you are up aginst the GVWR.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACB View Post
......cut.....
Unit is running exceptionally well and is handling the weight of 2 Motorcycles just fine, just concerned as things wear the rear springs might need some help.
.....cut....,

Leaf springs are designed and manufactured to operate within the steel’s elastic limit, and unless a vehicle is grossly overload, they won’t “wear out”. I have personally driven various trucks with over 200,000 miles and springs were just fine. It’s a non issue as long as you are happy with it “running exceptionally well”.

You should get motorhome weighed regardless for other reasons to make sure you are not overloaded.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:52 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Leaf springs are designed and manufactured to operate within the steel’s elastic limit, and unless a vehicle is grossly overload, they won’t “wear out”. I have personally driven various trucks with over 200,000 miles and springs were just fine. It’s a non issue as long as you are happy with it “running exceptionally well”.

You should get motorhome weighed regardless for other reasons to make sure you are not overloaded.
And therein lies the rub: it all may depend on how much you have overloaded them...
I also had a 2018 29-H, and I was WAAAAaaaayyyy.... over the rear axle's stated limits.
TICK... TICK... TICK...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #5

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I learned my lesson on a previous coach. It had about 2,000lb cargo capacity and that seemed like it should be plenty when we bought it. It wasn’t. I put a 3,500lb OCCC on my “must have” list when we went coach shopping.
Old 07-15-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Pete...
Does that leave room for the "Kitchen Sink"?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #7

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I owned a 2018 29H...

It would be worth getting your coach weighed with both bikes in the garage to know where you stand and if you are up aginst the GVWR.
I'm going to modify that and suggest you first weigh empty. Full fuel, no fluids, no cargo then add any cargo and toys to see where you're at with weights and available cargo if any. When I weighed my Omni I didn't make it to the scales empty, my fault just lazy, but I do now have a scale ticket of "mostly loaded to travel". See this

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4...les-27404.html

I recommend a first empty weighing so you have a realistic idea before starting to load what possible capacity you have. Don't overly rely on what the sticker in the door jamb says for absolutely accurate info.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:07 PM   #8

THOR #12751
In an E450.... I was much more concerned about being slightly over the rating than I am with the F-550.

While I don't condone intentially overloading a coach, the weakest link in the E450 was the tires. The F550's tires and individual components have better ratings and candle a few hundred pounds over.

I would not want to be a few hundred over in an E450.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:50 PM   #9
ACB

THOR #22173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
In an E450.... I was much more concerned about being slightly over the rating than I am with the F-550.

While I don't condone intentially overloading a coach, the weakest link in the E450 was the tires. The F550's tires and individual components have better ratings and candle a few hundred pounds over.

I would not want to be a few hundred over in an E450.

I was concerned about the tires and plan on taking the LTs off and replacing them with C rated tires when I get back home in Florida. I have purchased a tire pressure and heat monitoring system to make sure they don’t get to hot or run low on pressure. I have also kept my speed down to 65 mph.

The weight of the 2 bikes is 1399 pounds and I have taken the rear deck railings off, pulled out the rear couches plus the rear screen which I would guess is a reduction off 150 pounds. Being concerned of the weight I never run much more than 60% fuel and 20% water.

I drove the new RV home 200 miles from the dealer empty on a windy day and it was all over the road. Loaded down with the bikes thru very stiff winds in NM and AZ the RV handled like a car.

I did call Sumo and they told me their products might fit my RV they have not tested them on the 2021 or 2022 models. Again the 29j does not sag more than 3/4 inch empty to loaded. When we leave Sedona tomorrow I will fill fuel to 60% and put the 29j on a scale.
Old 07-15-2021, 03:52 PM   #10
ACB

THOR #22173
[QUOTE=ACB;303873]I was concerned about the tires and plan on taking the LTs off and replacing them with C rated tires when I get back home in Florida. I have purchased a tire pressure and heat monitoring system to make sure they don’t get to hot or run low on pressure. I have also kept my speed down to 65 mph.

The weight of the 2 bikes is 1399 pounds and I have taken the rear deck railings off, pulled out the rear couches plus the rear screen which I would guess is a reduction off 150 pounds. Being concerned of the weight I never run much more than 60% fuel and 20% water.

I drove the new RV home 200 miles from the dealer empty on a windy day and it was all over the road. Loaded down with the bikes thru very stiff winds in NM and AZ the RV handled like a car.

I did call Sumo and they told me their products might fit my RV they have not tested them on the 2021 or 2022 models. Again the 29j does not sag more than 3/4 inch empty to loaded. When we leave Sedona tomorrow I will fill fuel to 60% and put the 29j on a scale.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:28 AM   #11
ACB

THOR #22173
[quote=acb;303876]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acb View Post
i was concerned about the tires and plan on taking the lts off and replacing them with c rated tires when i get back home in florida. I have purchased a tire pressure and heat monitoring system to make sure they don’t get to hot or run low on pressure. I have also kept my speed down to 65 mph.

The weight of the 2 bikes is 1399 pounds and i have taken the rear deck railings off, pulled out the rear couches plus the rear screen which i would guess is a reduction off 150 pounds. Being concerned of the weight i never run much more than 60% fuel and 20% water.

I drove the new rv home 200 miles from the dealer empty on a windy day and it was all over the road. Loaded down with the bikes thru very stiff winds in nm and az the rv handled like a car.

I did call sumo and they told me their products might fit my rv they have not tested them on the 2021 or 2022 models. Again the 29j does not sag more than 3/4 inch empty to loaded. When we leave sedona tomorrow i will fill fuel to 60% and put the 29j on a scale.
Old 07-25-2021, 01:36 AM   #12
ACB

THOR #22173
[QUOTE=ACB;305566]

Weighed unit today .. 3/4 tank of fuel, water 1/3, propane full, grey and black tanks empty. 2 Harley softails in the garage, my wife Dog and myself onboard and supplies for our 8 week trip

Steer 4,720 #
Rear 10,700 #
Ttl. 15,420

6% over GVW. not as bad as I thought
Old 07-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #13

THOR #12751
[QUOTE=ACB;305568]
Quote:

Weighed unit today .. 3/4 tank of fuel, water 1/3, propane full, grey and black tanks empty. 2 Harley softails in the garage, my wife Dog and myself onboard and supplies for our 8 week trip

Steer 4,720 #
Rear 10,700 #
Ttl. 15,420

6% over GVW. not as bad as I thought

What you need to check now is your tire carrying capacity. My guess is you are up against or over their limits..... especially as LT tires not meant to carry that much weight at highway speeds full-time. That's the concern more than the axles, springs and brakes.

I know you said you plan to replace them with commerical rated tires, but I would make sure they are inflated to their max pressures and I would watch your speed. That will help with keeping the heat down and give you better control if you would have a blow out.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #14
ACB

THOR #22173
[QUOTE=Judge;305592]
Quote:

What you need to check now is your tire carrying capacity. My guess is you are up against or over their limits..... especially as LT tires not meant to carry that much weight at highway speeds full-time. That's the concern more than the axles, springs and brakes.

I know you said you plan to replace them with commerical rated tires, but I would make sure they are inflated to their max pressures and I would watch your speed. That will help with keeping the heat down and give you better control if you would have a blow out.

I drive at 65 mph…. I am keeping tires at 80 cold and have Pressure system that monitors heat and pressure. My defaults are set at 99 pounds and 120 degrees …. Highest temp 114 highest pressure 96

Came from Vegas to Bryce yesterday so I have been in heat and large hills.

Side note the new 7.3 is a champ in hills. Biggest grade 65mph 4th gear 4,000 RPMs all the way to the top.