Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2018, 10:10 AM   #1

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Shattered driver window while driving

Has anyone experienced their driver window just shattering? On I10 headed to Jacksonville, no construction - just a smooth drive in the right lane going 60 mph. A car is passing me on the left, and my driver window shattered with a loud bang. There were no gravel or rocks so I'm still trying to figure how this happened. Will tempered glass shatter just from driving?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:24 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Wow, know that had to have scared the poop out of you, would me!!! I doubt the window just shattered on its own, car could have picked up a stray rock from an otherwise clean road and caused the window to break.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
That is quite common with all vehicles. Just google window shattered you'll see tons of people of all kinds of different vehicles that it happened to.

Happened to a family member's Edge while parked: Boom rear window just shatters.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Model: Miramar
State: Arkansas
THOR #5754
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
That is quite common with all vehicles. Just google window shattered you'll see tons of people of all kinds of different vehicles that it happened to.

Happened to a family member's Edge while parked: Boom rear window just shatters.

Quite common indeed. Temporarily, I bought plexiglass from Ace Hardware, then applied Scotch ’extremely strong’ double sided mounting tape to hold on my trip back to Nashville tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:04 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
It almost sounds more like some sort of stress issue, like teh frame flexed or something. Maybe residual stress in the glass??

Anyway....sometimes it doesn't have to be a big stone to cause a problem

not in my rv, but in a little car a long time ago. A little low to the ground acura integra.... once driving down the road and I see what I thought was about softball sized piece of gravel fall off the bumper of a large tuck heading South on I475 near Macon, just about at the merge back onto I-75.... Truthfully is was probably about half the size of my fist, but it was coming straight at my head from the look of it... anyway, I happened to see it fall from the truck, hit the road, bounce up...and I reflexively ducked behind the dashboard going probably 80MPH +. Man, that thing sounded like a 357 magnum firing....
It put a little tiny nick in the windshield that you had to look really hard even to see. It was prety close to where my head would have been.... anyway, it never did crack.

Another time, same car travelling up I-95 someplace...I must have had the radio off because I distinctly remember hearing a little tick sound, sorta like a grain of sand hitting the windshield....just a single little tick. Well, I look and saw a a nice little crack, maybe a couple inches or so long up high above the mirror.... over the next few hours of the road trip, that crack propagated all the way down to the bottom of the windshield
Old 08-02-2018, 02:20 AM   #6

Model: 34F
State: Oklahoma
THOR #8432
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
It almost sounds more like some sort of stress issue, like teh frame flexed or something. Maybe residual stress in the glass??

Anyway....sometimes it doesn't have to be a big stone to cause a problem

not in my rv, but in a little car a long time ago. A little low to the ground acura integra.... once driving down the road and I see what I thought was about softball sized piece of gravel fall off the bumper of a large tuck heading South on I475 near Macon, just about at the merge back onto I-75.... Truthfully is was probably about half the size of my fist, but it was coming straight at my head from the look of it... anyway, I happened to see it fall from the truck, hit the road, bounce up...and I reflexively ducked behind the dashboard going probably 80MPH +. Man, that thing sounded like a 357 magnum firing....
It put a little tiny nick in the windshield that you had to look really hard even to see. It was prety close to where my head would have been.... anyway, it never did crack.

Another time, same car travelling up I-95 someplace...I must have had the radio off because I distinctly remember hearing a little tick sound, sorta like a grain of sand hitting the windshield....just a single little tick. Well, I look and saw a a nice little crack, maybe a couple inches or so long up high above the mirror.... over the next few hours of the road trip, that crack propagated all the way down to the bottom of the windshield
Curious what you sometimes see in slow motion sometimes. Years ago a truck in front of me hit a bump, something fell out of the bed and I saw a rifle brass case hit my windshield right in front of me. Cracked the windshield all the way over too. Oh yeah the brass slid down on top of the wiper.