Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2022, 07:48 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
35 posts on the 15th thread in just this Forum regarding this subject.

Seriously! It's not like someone asked to prove the theory of gravity!

Old 08-02-2022, 09:22 PM   #42

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
To keep on beating this dead horse I will add that 99% of the time I auto level. My entry level coach works just fine on auto level. No jerking or gyrations or other such nonsense. The only time I manual level is when the front wheels end up off the ground.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:34 PM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Seems to me that if it was so dangerous to lift a front wheel off the ground when leveling then the AUTO level function would have safeguards built-in to prevent the product from putting the owner in such a dangerous situation. Can you imagine the salivating lawyers lining up to "assist" the injured party after the leveling system caused them harm by its design?

"All I did was push the AUTO button on the installed leveling system and look what it has done to me".
Ironically Power Gear Leveling Systems says to check for ANY tire off the ground after leveling with Auto or Manual. They say to adjust manually. In my case, I sit the coach back down, backup a foot or so; add my wooden blocks to wheel(s) in question, drive up and Auto level again. That may happen 1 out of 40 times.

I have not seen anywhere that speaks to the danger. According to Site Expert EA37TS; we must read the manuals. I presume he expects us to follow the instructions from which we have read from said manual

Maybe it is like the Military where you have to comply with an order and not question it.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:40 PM   #44

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
On my Equalizer SmartLevel system I always use is auto level. If the site is that out of level I get an excessive slope error and auto level stops. I then pick a better location on the site, manual level or break out my 50k outrigger pads for the offending jacks.
My Power Gear does similar. It has tried to Auto Level and it did not like something about the measurements it got and it return to home. I don't get a error, I just know it would not auto level. I usually move. But I have seen the auto level raise a tire a inch or so off the ground. I backup, put a wooden block down and try again with Auto.

I use Auto Level all the time. I can't imagine having to manually level every time (exception being as described earlier to get coach as low to the ground as possible)
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 08-02-2022, 10:00 PM   #45

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar Owner View Post
I believe that is for a different lift system. My coach specifically states ALL WHEELS.

Regardless, I've never lifted wheels off the ground using auto leveling so I guess for me it's a mute point.
Yes sir, I have SOB and a Power Gear Leveling system, but the manual above was from Lippert?

Section 4 is what my manual says for Auto; and section 10 in 2nd picture is what my manual says for Manual leveling.

Who knew that teaching Reading back in grade school was a waste of time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_164410.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	38995   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220802_165216.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	38996  

Old 08-02-2022, 10:20 PM   #46

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Seriously! It's not like someone asked to prove the theory of gravity!
Does this help to illustrate the pitfalls and dangers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	level RV.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	38997  
Old 08-02-2022, 10:26 PM   #47

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
dkoldman Mine is the same way, I think it looks great with the front wheels off the ground, like doing a wheelie. This is what I do on the weekends, that 7.3 with 40 pounds of boost

Quote:
35 posts on the 15th thread in just this Forum regarding this subject.

So it is safer to turn water pump off while driving risking a water leak than it is to jack RV wheels off the ground on a given & known unlevel service risking the hydraulic pump to stand up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
To keep on beating this dead horse I will add that 99% of the time I auto level. My entry level coach works just fine on auto level. No jerking or gyrations or other such nonsense. The only time I manual level is when the front wheels end up off the ground.
This is my experience, thus the many that manually level as routine has really shocked me. Push one button and it is done. Works 99% of time
Old 08-02-2022, 10:31 PM   #48

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Our step is right near the ground using manual, using auto I usually need to add another step
Old 08-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #49

THOR #13058
Quote:
Our step is right near the ground using manual, using auto I usually need to add another step
We have never had to use a added step to get to the steps; and never have seen this issue? when level our steps our 8 - 9" off the ground. A normal step is 8"

Without knowing the details, but if one could manually level and successfully gain 6 - 8" of reduced height; I would say you have an issue with the Auto Leveling calibration.

It also may be a function of how many steps in your Kwikee system? We have two steps that rollout out. If you only have one I can see it being higher than normal?

Regardless, I hope you retract your steps before you popped those wheelies
Old 08-02-2022, 10:50 PM   #50

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
We have never had to use a added step to get to the steps; and never have seen this issue? when level our steps our 8 - 9" off the ground. A normal step is 8"

Without knowing the details, but if one could manually level and gain successfully gain 6 - 8" of reduced height; I would say you have an issue with Auto Leveling calibration.

It also may be a function of how many steps in your Kwikee system? We have two steps that rollout out. If you only have one I can see it being higher than normal?

Regardless, I hope you retract your steps before you popped those wheelies
Not for old person like me. lol
Old 08-03-2022, 12:19 AM   #51

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Does this help to illustrate the pitfalls and dangers
With a paint color scheme like that the only sane option would be fire or explosives... .
Old 08-03-2022, 01:18 AM   #52

Model: Miramar 34.4
State: Iowa
THOR #4488
Quote:
Yes sir, I have SOB and a Power Gear Leveling system, but the manual above was from Lippert?

Section 4 is what my manual says for Auto; and section 10 in 2nd picture is what my manual says for Manual leveling.

Who knew that teaching Reading back in grade school was a waste of time
As I said... Mute point
Old 08-06-2022, 08:35 PM   #53

State: Nevada
THOR #21217
Leveling questions

Regarding this topic of leveling….
May I get your suggestions/experience on what product or tool you use to manually level your class A’s? If the suggestion is to just use a bubble level, where is the best location to put it. I have a 2021 30’ Thor Hurricane with the auto leveling, but I don’t trust it is accurate.
Thank you,
Nancy W.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:15 PM   #54

Model: Outlaw 38MB
State: Florida
THOR #18099
Agreed... Front off ground only... NEVER REAR!

Quote:
Doesn't hurt to have front tires off the ground IF the site requires it for level. As others said, manual leveling will help minimize this situation.
38 foot Class A F53 Gasser and my front tires are off the ground in order to level on my own driveway. I see no issue at all with that. The suspension system on the F53 seems to have no problem with it. I cannot comment on a front suspension with air bags, etc.

I would NEVER lift the rear tires off the ground because that is what keeps the coach from rolling... both emergency brake and transmission in park.

Yes, manual level can sometimes reduce the need to lift the front, but not in my case.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #55

Model: Tuscany
THOR #1808
this is fun
we have lippert system
it often will pull fronts off ground if site is as yours.

my auto level needs re-calibrating about every 6 months, for some reason if you tweak the level manually after a day of asphalt settling it seems to loose the brain

but when we are on a sloped down spot, i try to park as level as i can on the spot, maybe far back or far fwd or in between.

i manually run fronts down to touch and take up weight of bus
then i look at the level gauge on the panel

then i lift fronts more until its level
then run down rears till they touch and look at level indicator
if its good, i walk around the bus and see if she wiggles and doors don't have a propensity to open or close on their own

then i tweak the rears to take up some weight a bit. check level
go outside and see what is not on the ground. i can tell usually front drivers seat if front is flying

if so i lower the bus back down and put boards under front tires and re level
then if step is HIGH i have a 7" step box we made that goes near last step so its not a big leg lift to first step.
Old 08-06-2022, 10:54 PM   #56

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy W View Post
May I get your suggestions/experience on what product or tool you use to manually level your class A’s? If the suggestion is to just use a bubble level, where is the best location to put it. I have a 2021 30’ Thor Hurricane with the auto leveling, but I don’t trust it is accurate.
Thank you,
Nancy W.
I have a 2 foot level I keep in the step. You really don't need a level. If your motorhome is level when you auto level, all you need to do is turn it on press manual and push the lighted button till the light goes out then push the other button until the light goes out, It's level. Mine I had to reset my level point, now the wife just pushes the 2 buttons and she is done, perfectly level
Old 08-07-2022, 02:16 AM   #57

Model: Hurrican 34J
THOR #4107
pre-level before autoleveling

It is true that the manufacturer says don't raise your coach so much that the tires are off the ground.
if it was that critical, the system should automatically extend only so far to ensure the tires are on the ground. ( I believe its layer talk to avoid liability if your coach decides to roll off )

I fixed two small levels where I can see them while parking our coach and move back and forth a couple of times to find the most leveled spot, front to back and side to side... then I auto-level.

Putting jack-blocks or wood under the tire sound like a good idea, but I'm not sure they server any purpose unless you raise the coach and put it back down on to the elevated surface.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:27 AM   #58
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thank you,
Nancy W.
You know the leveling system still indicates an unlevel condition when you are manually leveling? It even tells you which sides to manually raise and stops raising them when it indicates it has raised it high enough.

That being said, I use the simple trailer levels I placed on my dash and side wall to indicate how far off level I actually am.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:34 AM   #59

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProsperTrail View Post
It is true that the manufacturer says don't raise your coach so much that the tires are off the ground.
if it was that critical, the system should automatically extend only so far to ensure the tires are on the ground. ( I believe its layer talk to avoid liability if your coach decides to roll off )

I fixed two small levels where I can see them while parking our coach and move back and forth a couple of times to find the most leveled spot, front to back and side to side... then I auto-level.

Putting jack-blocks or wood under the tire sound like a good idea, but I'm not sure they server any purpose unless you raise the coach and put it back down on to the elevated surface.
My manual specifically says if Auto Leveling, check to ensure tires are on the ground. It is perspective but damn right it is liability talk. Some systems generate an Error in condition you state; and others simply will not level and retract and you know why because generally it is obvious nom level terrain.

However, I have auto level and seen one tire off the ground. Nothing light the picture that started this thread, but off the ground nonetheless. I don't manually lift to insert wooden board. I retract jacks back up one foot, add a wooden board in front of wheel in question, and re - Auto Level Easy Peasey. Two buttons, turn system on and push Auto level.

Truth be told, in my cases mostly when I am auto leveling it is for the stability anyway. From what I have been reading, I will never buy a coach where Manual leveling is required to get results. It is like I would never buy a coach where priming was required in order to start the generator. 4 years and I have only use the primer feature just to see it works
Old 08-07-2022, 02:44 AM   #60

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thank you,
Nancy W.
Quote:
I have a 2 foot level I keep in the step. You really don't need a level. If your motorhome is level when you auto level, all you need to do is turn it on press manual and push the lighted button till the light goes out then push the other button until the light goes out, It's level. Mine I had to reset my level point, now the wife just pushes the 2 buttons and she is done, perfectly level
I guess you could use this when manually leveling as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-25505-E...256958046&th=1

I use all the time with my Auto Level.

I just pull up at campsite, verify proximity to pedestal with coach engine still running.

Drop this device in the middle of the coach and it automatically turns on showing red where out of level on the 4 corners. Even if already on level surface, I still auto level to get the stabilized support.

Turn on Power Gear level system wait for system to show green and push Auto Level button.

I always get all 4 lights on Camco lever turn Green and the Power Gear will flash green saying it is complete.

I let out slide

Go outside and plug in shorepower, genny shuts down.

Go get beer and watch to see if any neighbors are manually leveling their coaches