Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 11:34 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Allegro Open Road
State: Florida
THOR #8069
Good Bye Thor

We traded in our 2018 Windsport 29M last week for a 2018 Tiffin Allegro. We have met alot of good people on this Forum and attended a few Ralleys also. I will still be a part of the Thor Forum, helping others out with questions when I can.

Old 07-20-2020, 12:50 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #19715
Thinking of buying a Thor class A

What was your experience with your Thor coach?
Old 07-20-2020, 01:31 AM   #3

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1Z View Post
We traded in our 2018 Windsport 29M last week for a 2018 Tiffin Allegro. We have met alot of good people on this Forum and attended a few Ralleys also. I will still be a part of the Thor Forum, helping others out with questions when I can.
Well ain't you a SOB now? Congratulations !!!! I can't tell you how close we came to getting a Windsport 27B. It was if they (Dealers not Thor) did everything possible to block us from buying... and they succeeded. So I have been a SOB since Day 1; but love this site. I think some of the best RV minds are Thor RV owners or former owners.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Minnesota
THOR #7948
Quote:
Congratulations Ron. You know we love our Hurricane 29M. But Linda can tell you, I yearn for an Allegro. Hope to see you guys and your Allegro at the next rally.

Tom & Linda
Old 07-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
From one Tiffin owner to another: Welcome to the Club!
But this is STILL the best RV forum anywhere!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:28 PM   #6

Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Welcome to the dark side!..
"Stick Around" as your experiences will help those facing the same issues..
We had the "frilly" big sister to the Windsport/Hurricane....aka the Infinity.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 03:47 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
Welcome to the dark side!..
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1595346439
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Dark Side.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	25059  
Old 07-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #8

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Hey Ron- Know you are always welcome on the forum and at any rally I help with. Best of luck with your new SOB!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:50 PM   #9

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Congratulations on the new coach
Old 07-29-2020, 10:11 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
Quote:

Man after my own heart!! This coming winter, going take this 2020 Hurricane and make it someone else's problem and get a Tiffin!!

2 Thor's, to nightmares!!

and this Thor Forums does rock! Woot!
Old 07-30-2020, 12:45 AM   #11

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1111 View Post
Man after my own heart!! This coming winter, going take this 2020 Hurricane and make it someone else's problem and get a Tiffin!!

2 Thor's, to nightmares!!

and this Thor Forums does rock! Woot!
Sounds like the movie "Beyond the RV-Thunderdome" Two Thor RVs enter, and One Tiffin leaves
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #12

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
What was the purpose of your post? If your intention was to degrade a Thor, you should have kept it to yourself.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Why? It's a big World out there, with a whole bunch of different brands of RVs available. We like keeping in touch with our friends: even if (Like me!); they choose to move to "S.O.B. Town"
Old 08-02-2020, 05:22 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
What I think about Thor!

I will just start this post at the top!

Oh, I didn’t know this was the Rainbows and Unicorns board!!!

This post is directed at Thor and anyone thinking of buying one or who owns one!!

The MacDaddy Thor Story!

I truly love RVING, It is blast hanging with my military brothers and sisters!!
Grilling, burning stuff, drinking a beer, burning a fatty cigar and Fishing!

Background history so you Understand there is not much I cannot fix!
I am retired Navy Sonar Tech, systems suite tech on FFG ships, 1/3 of ship was my equipment.
I was usually only tech and always senior tech in my division! And the Grams Master!
I was ships 2M tech (fix circuit boards under microscope type tech)!
http://www.testit.com/macdaddy/macnavy.jpg
Medically retired from fungus got in my lungs and bones in the 1st Gulf War.
12 Years at Balboa Hospital being treated, 18k a month in fungicide.
Took my BBS hobby in my house and opened computer store. Build, fix, sale, net, servers you name it!

I was the fix it dude and net dude. Young military still can’t understand how grandpa can fix anything computer and net related!
Move back to hometown Camp Lejeune, wife and I open real estate company taking care of military.
We build custom homes, sale, buy, manage rentals @ 300!!
I am the fix it man for my company, all repairs are done by me or by my crew!
I have had dozens of boats over the last 40 years in the OCEAN, and never had issues like are you about to read!
So you see when I break down this Thor business, I got a leg to stand on!
How it all started!
Wife, ten surgeries, lives, Hey honey, don’t by your new boat, let’s get an RV! We seen the world while both of us were in the Navy, lets see American! Yes Baby!! I am old and a gimp, let’s take it easy, stress free camping! WOOHOOOO

1st Thor 24.1 Vegas 1 year old 12k mileage. (did research, buy 1 yr old, get issues fixed before you buy)
And it was babied by last owners, upgraded for c pac shelves next to bed.
3 windshields in 1.5 years!! Big pretty ones with major flaw!! 3 I say, and one before us I found out!
Roof started leaking ½ into owner ship
Drove like squirrel all over road, 1500 into suspension.
Electrical ghost issues! Power just drop off, ate batteries.
Water intrusion everywhere, both taillights had to be replaced and inside dried and epoxied where it came apart.
Re patched Roof Dicor areas!
Rusty ass screws everywhere, please use stainless for Pete sake!
Awing ripped itself off just rolling it in a nice morning after breakfast!
There’s more if I go dig up some paperwork! On to the next!
I am done with this used crap Mamma, lets get a new one! Let’s eat 15k lost on this trade end.
I don’t care!

2nd RV Hurricane 35M
Yeah, we love the 2020 Hurricane 35m! His and hers bathrooms!! Auto leveling, seat that is electronically controlled. Shower my 6.4ft rear end can fit in! Internet built in! ETC!!
Big ass King bed upgraded!!! It’s fluffy nice! And I can control everything from my phone!
Life’s good! Where’s the damn remote!
1st trip to SC, test run! Rocked! Next trip from Camp Lejeune to CT to Lake Zoar at the lake house for xmas with my Yankee family! Coming home, stopped a KOA Antietam for night. Next morning, 25 mph, the ENGINE BLOWS UP 1 mile outside park! 2k miles on the odometer! People say it was Ford Issue, I think Thor let that rig sit out in the weather for good while! Tons of rust on that engine when they tore it down to the block, it looked old! Way to go ford, gave drop shipped new motor in a week!
Oil ports clogged! Twisted out cams in old motor!

2.5 months later, we get new engine.

But wait, More to come!!
Back to Lejeune, drop off at Riverside Subaru New Bern
New water tank (cracked nipple from install)
New living slide system rails ( was man in wall knocking as we drove) (upgraded now)
New sinks and faucets x 3 (rusting)
Flip dookie door #2 and added holding bracket for door. (dumb design, couldn’t get to turd connector) Posted pics on this board if you care!
Fixed few leaks around driver and passenger windows. Leak one and 2!
Fixed engine AC (wiring issue)
Replaced fake hub caps missing caps (just fall off going down road)
Fix towing plug (wired by a monkey)
Replaced 1/2 dozen led light around head lights (how do led lights just die) Thor!
Replaced passenger dashboard (new PC table for MacDaddy) Was cracking
Replaced wiring to bedroom slide (same monkey) (pinched during build)
Driver and passengers’ screens, gave up and removed! Stuck, can’t hand ID to base guards to get on base!
Us a door handle no one else uses that I know of, can’t get RVlock.com lock now for rig!
I Replaced Winegard that fried. Found out they jacked the roof installing it, roof rot and stripped screws already! (I replaced it and fixed all the rusty holes and rot!)
Don’t even own it a year and have jacked roof!

Things still on list for repair.

Replace axxera driver control screen (line down middle, pixels out), hoping we get the 2021 pad, has android connect so can use your phone map program on the screen!

Fix leaking bed room slide (leaks to under bed where water tanks is) so you think it was water tank. Coming in on the side of the Slide! Nothing better than water running down the floor!!
We somewhat Back In Business after 8 months of our 2020 hurricane 35m being in the shop most of the time!! Hauling ass everywhere before it blows up again! HAHA
Figure drop off in Oct after month on outerbanks to finish up last of the stuff before warranty runs out!

Got it next to the house now. Rewiring entire unit for Entertainment. Winegard sent me new controller for the HTDV and power and replacing these crap TV’s with 4k’s and replacing lame switch box! Have tons of best buy point from buying tons of appliances!

What cash out of pocket from MacDaddy just on 2020 Model!
300 rental car from PA
350 for hitch on Hybrid Car so can tow the tow dolly to get RV in PA
500 in tips for Bradford for guys! They rocked
7 month of 725 a month note while sat in shop!
200 bucks tip at ford by my house
500 tips at repair show in New bern. They Rock!
Was there for months and months, waiting on parts.
We stole it couple times to get away to Ocracoke NC for a weekend and test repairs.
I am the guy you want to go look at the RV you are thinking about buying one!
I know where all their flaws are and then some.
I am the guy be funny to ask would you ever buy a Thor again?

We do have the customer service head lady at Thor, you ever think she called us back to check on us? Not freaking ONCE!

Because of Thor, I am about to knock out my NRVTA, probably could make a fairly good part time living fixing Thor’s in the RV parks while we stay at them!!
I learned never to sell your home or at least have a small one somewhere to fall back on!!
I can’t even imagine if my crap blew up and I didn’t have a home base!
Now to explain my saying about Thor and end this novel!!
When I was 8 years old, my dad came back form his 3rd tour in Nam. He flew CH53s
He was constantly raising hell at Sikorsky about flaw in Rotors and blades, they would fatigue and crack off and bird would crash! Well, March 14th 1973 on routine flight to Texas out of New River Air station ( so could trade maine lobsters for coors beer back then and drop off some parts.)
His bird thew a rotor on take off 3 ft off ground, rolled over and blew up. Took his death and others to change the system!
SO my saying is……….
“IF Thor built aircraft and I bought one, I would be dead!”
This might be a good Outline for my 1st Book!! One with nice pictures and stuff!
Anyone hungry, cooking steaks for the young marines and lighting the hurricane fire pit tonight!!

MacDaddy OUT!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	macdaddyfire.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	25360  
Old 08-02-2020, 05:31 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
. That's a tough read....
But it was thorough, and accurate.
Sorry that you Guys have been through so much. I hope that Thor can make it all right for you... and soon!
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #16

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Macdaddy's experience (other than the engine blowing) is not all that different from many who bought a "new" Thor in terms of quality and workmanship.

I would have gladly paid 5 - 8% more for the two Thor coaches I have bought had there been a noticeable improvement in quality and workmanship.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:49 PM   #17

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
THOR #13025
Sorry you have had such bad luck. I’ve had real good luck with my Thor super C. The Poor design on the schwintek full wall slide is the only negative, but the performance and handling of the ford 550 truck chassis more than make up for this poor design. Had a few problems with drawer latches but, that is very minor. The engineering of some of the systems aren’t near as good as the American Eagle I downsized from, but the Eagle cost about $300k more. You get what you pay for and I love my Thor.
Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 AM   #18

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Had a Tiffin for years before the Gemini, now have none, at least for now. Haven't decided what our next MH will be, if we get one. For now, we are doing little traveling, but another RV is certainly not out of the question.