Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2015, 05:07 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Good Sam or AAA Premium RV

We just purchased our first RV (2015 Thor Vegas 24.1) and are now going through the equipage and coverage drill. I have a roadside assistance coverage question.

We have AAA Premium for our car. I'd like to add the RV to the AAA Premium plan. I like that it has 200 mile tow for the RV, but the flat coverage is to change a mounted spare (the Vegas does not have a mounted spare).

I looked at Good Sam and saw that it's premium plan has 100 mile tow. The basic plan only tows to the nearest rv service center. The premium plan also will change a flat and bring a new tire to mount on the rim (you pay cost of tire & labor). Does the Good Sam service trucks have the capability to demount the flat and mount a new tire on the rim at the side of the road? What about balancing the newly mounted tire?

Finally, what do you think is best -- Good Sam or AAA Premium RV? I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has (and has used) their AAA Premium RV. I'm thinking Good Sam probably has a larger coverage ability, but I just do not know enough about the two to make a good comparison.

Thanks in advance

2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Also check on Coach Net
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:39 PM   #3

Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
I would avoid both of those you mentioned, but if forced to choose I would go with Good Sam. Coach Net I believe is superior to both, even though it is not as good as it used to be. JMO
Old 08-09-2015, 09:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Road side assistance is part of my extended warranty coverage. In the event of a flat tire, since I do not have a spare, the coverage includes towing to the nearest service center for tire repair.

I also have Allstate as part of my insurance coverage and I have AAA as well. Recently we combined AAA (family coverage) and Allstate (my daughters plan) to have my SIL's car towed 225 miles (150 with AAA and 75 with Allstate).

Until that time I was considering one or the other but now I may keep them all.

As a note, I'm not positive but I believe someone recently had an issue with their coach and Good Sam could not find a large enough tow truck in the area to assist.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:03 AM   #5

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by ournextstop View Post
I would avoid both of those you mentioned, but if forced to choose I would go with Good Sam. Coach Net I believe is superior to both, even though it is not as good as it used to be. JMO
Based on research, and not first hand experience.... i agree
my understanding is that coach net pays the roadside svc provider more, and AAA and GS are among the lowest payers..... so guess who gets higher priority.
Remember they all are just using local tow and svc shops....

Before you buy any though....
is that Vegas on a Ford chassis?

If it is, check your manual and papers that came with the coach. Ford very likely gives you complimentary service through Ford's roadside assistance for I think 3 years.
Their service is through coach net, but called Ford Roadside Service.

My complimentary GS service was getting ready to expire in June, and I researched heavily. Was about to pull the trigger on a coach net plan, but somebody reminded me of the Ford thing. I called them to verify coverage and verified that it's a modified coachnet plan.... basically their low plan.

Give the number in your manual a call, and register with your VIN.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:42 AM   #6

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
blw2: It is a Ford Chassis. Scheduled for the PDI this Weds. I will definitely check the manual for what it says about the Ford Roadside Service. Thanks for the heads-up. Complimentary for 3 years is great.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:58 AM   #7
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
One point not discussed:

Many of the RV Roadside Assistance plans include coverage for a towed vehicle as well as the coach. Ford roadside assist does not. At a Christmas rally a fellow coach owner had his automatic door locks on his Grand Cherokee lock his keys in the car at a campground (before he could disconnect from the coach). He didn't have an extra set of keys with him. He called Coach Net and they had him unlocked at no cost within an hour.

Food for thought.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:35 AM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yes all Axis/Vegas units are on Ford E-350 chassis.

When we picked up ours they pointed out the Ford roadside assistance.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote