Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2016, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
Good Sam Membership - be careful

My membership got renewed by mistake. When I got the new cards in the mail, I immediately called and cancelled the membership. The gentleman I talked to said "no problem" we will cancel it and refund your money.

They cancelled my membership, but the refund didn't come.

After waiting a couple weeks, I called and the woman I talked to said No. It was nonrefundable. Read the small print on your membership.

It was in the package they sent me which I called and cancelled.

NO refunds! They decided to kindly let me log back onto the Good Sam site. She sent me a password so I could do so. So I guess I can log onto the site.

Lesson: Beware of doing business with them. Not saying you shouldn't, just don't get caught in this trap. Automatically renewing (they did it) can get you caught in a trap.

I still have the towing and travel assist. Next year I will see if there other options.

Again I am not saying not to do business with them. Just be careful. Good Sam may not be a Good Sam in some cases.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:48 AM   #2

Model: Four Winds 22E
State: Washington
THOR #4719
Are you talking about the basic membership that gets you discounts an RV parks, camping world etc, or one of their insurance programs?

Also keep in mind that in order for auto renewal to be legal, you must have approved it in some manner, although that some manner might be failing to uncheck some already checked box.

I have always found I get my money back ar at least close. To me $27 is worth it.

Ken
Old 10-15-2016, 02:41 AM   #3

Model: Challenger 37KT
State: California
THOR #3681
Good Sam Membership

Pros

10% off most parks is great. I also have received all my value back. Other clubs discounts seem to be only for Mon-Thu and limited availability.

Discounts at Pilot/ Flying J gas stops, even the food in the stores get discount.

Discounts for simple restaurants and entertainment coupons.

Many other online discount coupons

Club discount on items needed when traveling at a camping world. Yes I know amazon is always cheaper, but sometimes you need something quick.

Cons

Advertisements to camping world.
Advertisements to their roadside assistance
- The roadside assistance has many negative reviews including towing companies that state they hang around a few minutes before dispatching with GS in case some other company like AAA tries to book them. GS rates are low.
2018 Thor Challenger 37KT
gauthig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:31 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.3 (2016)
State: Montana
THOR #4032
[QUOTE=Ag&Au;48351]Are you talking about the basic membership that gets you discounts an RV parks, camping world etc, or one of their insurance programs?

Also keep in mind that in order for auto renewal to be legal, you must have approved it in some manner, although that some manner might be failing to uncheck some already checked box.

I have always found I get my money back ar at least close. To me $27 is worth it.

Ken[/QUOTE
Just basic membership. $27 isn't a big deal to me. The membership is pretty much worthless to us. There isn't a Flying J withing 100 miles. We have never used a commercial campground. The nearest Camping World is 4 or 5 hours away at the very best. Maybe if there was a CW anywhere near, it would be worth my money. Oh well. Lesson learned the hard way. At least the reinstated the membership.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:35 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I got turned off from GS simply from the sheer amount of junk mail they send urging you to become a member--I know where all the membership fees go: printing and postage!
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Good Sam = Camping World = Freedom Roads = Good Sam Enterprises

Enough said.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #7

Model: 37GT
State: Florida
THOR #5246
When we were full timing and buying diesel on a regular basis the membership meant more to us, being tied to our Pilot/Flying-J RV card. Between fuel discounts and small savings in a few CG's it paid for itself the first month or so.

Wasn't sure when we bought the Challenger about keeping membership. On recent 1350 miles trip I ended up getting fuel (gas) three times at Flying J's that had RV lanes and it was pretty convenient. Not only did I get the price per gallon discount there was always a 6' long windshield cleaning brush available. We ended up using one affiliated GS CG on the trip so all together I made up about half of the years membership.

But they are "tricky" on their renewals and auto-renewal. If you don't keep track you can rack up about 3 years of advance membership and not realize it.
US Army 70-73 Retired LEO
Joe-FL is offline   Reply With Quote