Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Indiana
THOR #12800
Gps

Iam a new 2017 Hurricane owner
My question is what are the best GPS systems
Thanks Larry

Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Simple answer is whatever works for you as there are a number of people here that use a number of different systems. I use Google Maps on phone, factory installed NAV System but mostly rely on the Garmin 770 RV Model.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 35C
State: South Dakota
THOR #3761
Welcome to the forum!!

This is one of those questions that will get a lot of different responses. There aren't a lot of RV specific GPS units out there. Many people don't use the RV specific ones anyway, many use more than one, many just use whatever is on their smartphones (or tablets.) There are lots of ways to accomplish the "how to get there" part, it could be the trip planning that is a little bit more difficult to find.
FMCA - F457085
Blog - https://traversity.us
jpmihalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:24 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Welcome to the forum!
As to your question: The best GPS systems are the ones that get you to where you want to go; and then back home safely!
It comes down to finding the one that you're most comfortable with.
I've had a fair amount of experience with Garmins. We'll be buying an RV770 this Fall...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 04:40 PM   #5

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
I don’t like using Google or Apple maps when we travel because the maps are not local and it uses data to pull the maps down. In addition if you don’t have a signal you can’t get the maps. I have an application on my iPhone and iPad called CoPilot. Maps can be downloaded by continent, region, country or state. I’ve owned it for years and get free updates. When I bought it the app was designed mainly for truckers. Now they have one for RV. Not cheap $39.99. But if the RV app is anything like the one I have it is a good deal when you consider an RV GPS can cost well into the hundreds.
CoPilot RV USA by ALK Technologies Ltd.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copi...080395403?mt=8
Old 08-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #6

Model: Palazzo 36.3
State: Texas
THOR #6728
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
I don’t like using Google or Apple maps when we travel because the maps are not local and it uses data to pull the maps down. In addition if you don’t have a signal you can’t get the maps. I have an application on my iPhone and iPad called CoPilot. Maps can be downloaded by continent, region, country or state. I’ve owned it for years and get free updates. When I bought it the app was designed mainly for truckers. Now they have one for RV. Not cheap $39.99. But if the RV app is anything like the one I have it is a good deal when you consider an RV GPS can cost well into the hundreds.
CoPilot RV USA by ALK Technologies Ltd.https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/copi...080395403?mt=8
Actually, at least on Android, Google maps will prompt you to download maps once a course is set. It's to allow for offline use when there is no data connection.

With that being said, I use the Garmin RV770 gps in my Palazzo.
lo-tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:19 PM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
Why you want an RV specific GPS is because you enter the length, width, height, and GVWR. Then the GPS won't take you thru a tunnel that will take your roof off or a bridge that can't handle the weight. They also have the repair shops and rest areas around you. I also recommend the Garmin RV770.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:20 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstandiford View Post
Google maps:
  • Tap on the three bar menu at top left
  • Tap "Offline maps"
  • Tap "Select your own map"
  • Drag/zoom/adjust the map to the area you are interested in
  • Tap "Download"
There you go offline/downloaded maps (you can do this multiple times for different areas) in Google maps.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
Why you want an RV specific GPS is because you enter the length, width, height, and GVWR. Then the GPS won't take you thru a tunnel that will take your roof off or a bridge that can't handle the weight. They also have the repair shops and rest areas around you. I also recommend the Garmin RV770.
I agree, and that's why an RV specific model should always be considered.

Old 08-21-2018, 12:08 AM   #10

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
I was using Gogl maps until it wanted me to turn on a county road with a sign that said "Clearance, 10'3"! Our Vegas measures 11'3"

Fortunately, I saw the sign before I turned down that road and would have had to unhook the toad and turn everything around before the railroad underpass.

That night, I got online and ordered the Garmin. It doesn't always choose the roads that I want, as it prefers interstate highways. Still, it is great for peace of mind. I use a beanbag mount, so I can easily move it to the toad or take it out.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sunshine View Post
I was using Gogl maps until it wanted me to turn on a county road with a sign that said "Clearance, 10'3"! Our Vegas measures 11'3"

Fortunately, I saw the sign before I turned down that road and would have had to unhook the toad and turn everything around before the railroad underpass.

That night, I got online and ordered the Garmin. It doesn't always choose the roads that I want, as it prefers interstate highways. Still, it is great for peace of mind. I use a beanbag mount, so I can easily move it to the toad or take it out.
I've been able to avoid circumstances like that by not blindly following the nav's instructions (regardless of device). I always review a route before we start; preferably on a laptop and using streetview looking at intersections and suspicious spots. Especially if its a long route and/or we've never taken it.

Long ago we once had a Garmin GPS (long enough ago that the GPS didn't have enough storage to hold the entire US's maps in it) it routed us about 1/2 mile away from the freeway going in parallel with it because that freeway wasn't downloaded into it ! Been reviewing routes ever since .
Old 08-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Same here...just this weekend, and because the generator runs on back tank only, I was looking for diesel fuel close to where we were boondocking for 15 hours +/-. From "street view" I noticed the canopy of my chosen location was only 12 feet high. I stopped a couple exits sooner and fueled up. I always Google Map where we are going if it's off the interstate and sometimes will use street view to "cruise down the road" a little just to see what's there. RV specific GPS will help with bridges, etc., but will do nothing for canopies, series dips in driveways when entering fuel stations, etc. I've been a long range boater for years and trip planning should be done before ever hitting the road. Then, make sure you know where you're going before listening to the GPS. The 770 is a great tool and I love it but..."The Prudent Navigator Will Never Rely On A Single Source Of Navigation".
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Agreed.
If you live by technology: it's the technology that will ruin your day!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #14

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
OK, I ain't quite as dumb as I seem.

I usually review the route ahead, too. In my story, we got off the planned route to make an unplanned stop to fill the LP tank. That county road that Googl Maps would have put a car back on the route had the aforementioned railroad underpass. Left that part out of the story for brevity's sake. The Garmin would have sent us a different way.

They say, "All who wander are not lost" and sometimes we go exploring off the planned route. With gps, we may not be where we planned, but at least we know where we are!
Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 AM   #15

State: Oregon
THOR #2271
The only issue that I have had with the Garmin Routes is to RV parks. Twice I have been sent to a location that had nothing to do with the actual location of the park. In both cases, I filed a bad address report with Garmin so that they could update it in their next map release.

So now I verify RV park addresses on their website before I enter it in the Garmin.
Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 AM   #16
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:

I usually review the route ahead, too. In my story, we got off the planned route to make an unplanned stop to fill the LP tank. That county road that Googl Maps would have put a car back on the route had the aforementioned railroad underpass. Left that part out of the story for brevity's sake. The Garmin would have sent us a different way.

They say, "All who wander are not lost" and sometimes we go exploring off the planned route. With gps, we may not be where we planned, but at least we know where we are!
When we have a toad along we rarely go exploring--it is far too easy to get yourself into trouble with a toad. When we get to the campground we use the toad for the exploring.

We have done some exploring on trips with no toad.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:24 AM   #17

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Texas
THOR #6162
I have the Garmin RV770 and love it. Just make sure to keep whatever you get updated regularly.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:33 AM   #18

State: Indiana
THOR #12800
Thanks to all that have come to our aide.
The GPS question is one that brings a lot of good advice.
Larry
Old 08-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:

I usually review the route ahead, too...
There's an old Russian saying that covers this:

Old 08-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #20

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
I have been using the Rand McNally from Good Sam. It's OK but can be user unfriendly. Sometimes it's hard to get it to take a address in a different state. I just got the Garmin RV 770 and been playing around with it. It seems much easier to use and can't wait to get on the road with it. My DW will have the Garmin on her side since she is the navigator and I will have the Rand McNally on my side as a back up.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote