Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2018, 07:15 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: thor freedom elite 28z
State: Florida
THOR #11979
what is a good garmin

this gps will do all there is to do and its very easy to set up

Garmin rv 770 lmt https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/570074

Old 11-10-2018, 07:21 PM   #42

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
with google maps, on my iphone, if I already have trip directions on screen, it works REGARDLESS of cell signal - and it continues to tell you where you are at as you are moving on the map... it works just like any gps.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #43

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
downloading for 'offline' maps on your phone simply provides you the ability to still 'search' the area, even without a cell signal, but the gps part continues to work the same as if you had not downloaded it.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #44

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Freeze's View Post
Does anyone have a recomendation for a gps that works well for an RV?

Garmin Hands down !!!
Old 11-10-2018, 10:26 PM   #45

Brand: Dutchmen
State: Illinois
THOR #13214
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Yes...where's my Garmin...I've got to go get the mail. I've been an avid boater all my life and hold a 100 Ton USCG License. Reading paper maps/charts and navigating with instruments is my passion. I still love the paper maps from rest areas. GPS is a great tool but you must "know well where you're going" way before you turn anything else on and be ready when she tries to take the train down a dirt road. The Trucker's Atlas is among the best tools you can use.
I always carry a current atlas and double check my gps agai st the atlas now and then I also have a good idea of where I am going before I leave,,
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 PM   #46

State: Michigan
THOR #10430
I've used garmin's for years
Just remember always look up,that's where the surprises come from.
Old 11-11-2018, 12:27 AM   #47

Brand: Dutchmen
THOR #13214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernongrandolph View Post
I've used garmin's for years
Just remember always look up,that's where the surprises come from.
10/4. Good advice
Old 11-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #48

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Gritz and Bob make 2 great points of equal importance that I wish I had heeded this week. "Any GPS is better than no GPS" & "we still need to use our brains". I was taking my Vegas to a service center on Wednesday to have my Hellwig Sway Bars installed. I had never been to this center before (highly recommended from several people) so I loaded the address in my RV GPS. Near the service center, the GPS told me to make a U-turn and arrive at my destination. As I started the U-turn, I noticed that new construction had just been completed across the lane and it was no longer possible to make that turn. So...I used my brain and went across the lane onto the adjacent road thinking I would find a place to turn around. Oh, I forgot to mention, I had my Jeep Wrangler in tow as well. As I drove down what turned out to be a dead end road, only found one possible place to turn around at the entrance to a trucking company parking lot. It was a narrow entrance/exit but I saw a sandy area by the entrance that other trucks use as an expanded turn lane. As I said, sandy...very sandy. I figured that if 18 wheelers could make that turn, so could I. NOT using my brain, I attempted to make the turn. Two hours later, after breaking several straps belonging to a very nice truck driver and then some very heavy chains and a boom extension fork lift, I was finally back on the road to travel the 500 feet to the service center. Yes, the Vegas and Jeep bogged down in the sand all the way to the body. The tires and exhaust were buried. I found out later that they pull large RVs out of this sand almost daily. Guess I'm not the only one that forgets to use the brain in conjunction with the GPS. Lesson learned and I admit, it is kinda funny
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:41 PM   #49

Model: Windsport 32N
THOR #10251
I use Sygic RV GPS Navigation (North America) and have had 0 issues. It can run on an Android tablet. It costs around $90; go to eshop@sygic.com
Old 11-13-2018, 12:48 PM   #50

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
Can the sygic app act like a standalone GPS? One if the reasons for me to consider a backup is Google maps can't start a new route without a cell signal
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #51

Model: Windsport 32N
THOR #10251
Yes, I believe so. I'm not running google maps when running Sygic. I love the fact I can use a standard 8" or 10" tablet. I have several apps on one tablet specific to our RVing.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #52

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #8604
I have the Garmin RV GPS and love it. I have it installed on the left side of the steering wheel and ran an additional cigarette lighter plug to the left drivers console to plug it into so I didn’t have cables all over the dash. It also has an earphone plug that works great so the wife don’t have to listen to it. I use a single ear setup.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #53

Model: Four Winds
State: New Hampshire
THOR #16319
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
One advantage to a GPS vs phone apps is that Satellites are always there...cell service isn't. Having both systems available are good practice. One is none...two is one. I still collect paper maps at the rest areas...yep...it's an age thing and you can actually see the entire state without having to swipe the crap out of it.
That is true and I will take all the advice I can get so my wife and I have safe travels. Thanks
Old 08-13-2019, 11:35 PM   #54

Model: Travato
THOR #1765
If you are a AAA member they will send you all the paper maps for free. i carry two GPS and my phone, but I still order the paper maps from AAA. The large sectional maps (NE, SW, etc) are especially useful in planning long trips.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:12 AM   #55

Model: Vegas 25.5
THOR #12686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneilkeys View Post
If you are a AAA member they will send you all the paper maps for free. i carry two GPS and my phone, but I still order the paper maps from AAA. The large sectional maps (NE, SW, etc) are especially useful in planning long trips.
I agree. I use my debit cards everywhere but I still keep a couple of $1 bills in my wallet. They haven't quit making paper yet.
pavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:31 AM   #56

Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Based on this thread, I checked out CoPilot (Truck and RV version) on Google store a bit ago. From the reviews, sounds like recent updates have broken or removed some of the most valuable features for folk like us - like setting parameters for rig height, length, avoid tunnels, etc.

Anyone with direct experience to weigh in?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:59 AM   #57

Model: Chateau 35SF
State: Missouri
THOR #2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PictureTheSouth View Post
Based on this thread, I checked out CoPilot (Truck and RV version) on Google store a bit ago. From the reviews, sounds like recent updates have broken or removed some of the most valuable features for folk like us - like setting parameters for rig height, length, avoid tunnels, etc.

Anyone with direct experience to weigh in?

I’ve had CoPilot for years. Bought it so I would have offline maps. Could put length and height of RV to avoid tight places. The recent “upgrade” removed those features because they were concerned it would confuse the users. BS. They removed them so they could charge for an annual subscription. I complained so they offered me a free 1 year subscription. I’m not intrinsically a subscription model so I’m not got to bother.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #58

Brand: Crossroads
State: Ohio
THOR #424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
It's a wonder Lewis and Clark ever made it to the Pacific without Garman or Google. Have we lost the sense of discovery that folks had when they blazed The Oregon Trail?
Lewis and Clark kinda had Google,

Sacagawea
Old 08-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #59

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Maryland
THOR #6722
Garmin 770 and sometimes Google maps as a secondary comparison. Oh and a Rand McNally atlas in the event I have to go old school.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondavalk View Post
Lewis and Clark kinda had Google,

Sacagawea
VERY nice...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote