Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2021, 11:02 PM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 22FE
State: North Carolina
THOR #16868
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM22FE View Post
Updated before every trip and all weights, hight, and length set. Avoid unpaved roads, u turns, etc set. Linked to phone for info.. Still sucks.
Just three days ago went to Virginia and it tried to take me on a series of roads that were over 30 minutes out of the way according to Google maps.

Old 03-31-2021, 11:09 PM   #42

State: Florida
THOR #19881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmalls View Post
I've read many articles about whether or not to get an RV GPS.
For those that have them, what brand is your favorite?

If you do not have one, what do you use(Waze,etc)

Thanks and have a great night
g
Garmin RV 890. Have set it up for our upcoming trip and it has some weird routing errors. Have been working with Garmin to identify the mapping errors. Just saw a new map data update. We'll see if it fixes issues.
Old 03-31-2021, 11:18 PM   #43

THOR #19881
Quote:
Originally Posted by K4LK View Post
Garmin RV 890. Have set it up for our upcoming trip and it has some weird routing errors. Have been working with Garmin to identify the mapping errors. Just saw a new map data update. We'll see if it fixes issues.
Not fixed. So here's the error: St. Petersburg, FL to Lake City RV Resort, 3864 N US-441, Lake City, FL. The route takes me I-75 north to I-10 east. Instead of taking the second exit for US-441 north, it wants me to go 28 miles east on I-10 then exit on US-90 then dead-end.

My Garmin nuvi67 does different weird stuff. Get off I-75 onto US-41 go north on US-90 to I-10 west to US-441.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #44
EgV

Model: 22CFreedom Elite. 24&#821
State: Illinois
THOR #4805
Garmin RV GPS. It’s never let me down!
Old 04-01-2021, 01:43 AM   #45

State: Ohio
THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC62 View Post
Looking for the Garmin 770 RV you all are talking about and there are a boatload of Garmin 780 RV advertised all over, (Wally World, Cabela's, Bass Pro, Amazon etc) for right at $400 is that the updated variation of your 770 RV?
I have Garmin’s 780 great gps I love it . I wish I bought the 785 got built in dash camera. I recommend the 785 model. I am going to sell the 780 for $300. Paid $400.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:06 AM   #46

Model: Windsport 31s
THOR #19594
We have the Garmin RV785 and have found it to be very good. You input the size of your vehicle (height, length, width and weight) and it chooses the ideal route based on your characteristics. We used it on a trip from Florida to Oregon, through the Redwoods, Coastal California, and a few local trips here in Florida and we have not ended up on a road where we felt tight at all yet. It will avoid low overpasses which we witnessed in Gold, OR. I just updated the software and maps for our next trip to Oregon next month.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #47

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Getting ready for another trip next week and decided to update the RM maps.

The update included numerous operating files as well as the maps. Bottom line is the RM is better by several times than it was prior to the program updates. Map updates did show all the new roads we were aware of in places we had traveled as well.

If you have an RM it is well worth the updates and it will take over an hour to download all of them. That is on a 100 meg connection as well.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #48

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I have a Garmin 770RV mounted atop my dashboard and consider it essential. It has a number of worthwhile RV specific features and I leave it in the coach ready to go. I like my phone well enough but this is bigger and better for the purpose. Well worth the significant price.
I second this! It’s what I’ve used (or a version of) for over umpteen years.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:57 PM   #49
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
We are planning our summer trip which will be over 70 nights and approx 7000 miles. As we are planning this I am beginning to really enjoy using RV Trip Wizard in conjunction with my Garmin 770.

Even though RV Trip. Wizard is a subscription based program I feel the features I have recently discovered make the program well worth the price. By setting the motorhome parameters the system can identify where fuel stops need to be and the POIs can show what is available for fueling. Having this info in conjunction with a TDS fuel card (diesels) can eliminate costly mistakes like pulling into a PFJ or Loves when there is a TA or Petro one exit further.

After everything is mapped out in RV Trip Wizard I am creating a trip in my Garmin 770 with all camp[grounds and fuel stops so that at the beginning of a day I just hit the stop and tell the GPS to route me to the destination.

I haven't tried RV trip Wizards GPS on the iPhone or iPad yet but I may give that a shot on a local trip or two and see how it performs in relation to the Garmin RV 770.

Supposedly I can download the trip as a GPX file and upload to the Garmin but I haven't tried that yet. I tried once on an earlier version of RVTW and a Rand GPS and that was a nightmare. This, however, was before RVTW was bought by RV Life and upgraded significantly.

There are a bunch of You Tube videos on the RVTW functionality if you want to see for yourself.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #50

State: Nevada
THOR #20052
I use garmin. My son is a truck driver and he says that it's the best. Note big reason to use is because of propane (not allowed on some roads tunnels ect.) It will give you a route also you can input size (length width) so it won't route you under a bridge that is to low for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmalls View Post
I've read many articles about whether or not to get an RV GPS.
For those that have them, what brand is your favorite?

If you do not have one, what do you use(Waze,etc)

Thanks and have a great night
g
Old 04-04-2021, 01:59 AM   #51

THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicofmassage@gmail.com View Post
I use garmin. My son is a truck driver and he says that it's the best. Note big reason to use is because of propane (not allowed on some roads tunnels ect.) It will give you a route also you can input size (length width) so it won't route you under a bridge that is to low for you.
I have 3 Garmins in 2 cars and motor home, when I start the car Garmin’s is on with built in dash camera it tell me when I am near a school, red light camera,lane departure,traffic delay xxxxx
Old 04-04-2021, 11:02 AM   #52

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
My primary GPS that i glance at is the 10 inch RM and I like the way it works

However I use the Garmin dezlCam 785 LMT-S for two reasons,

Live weather and Dash Cam

Maybe at some point I will get everything on one unit but until then I still check maps, aerial views, and my GPS for areas I that may have alternate options or questionable roads, and for heavy traffic and multiple lanes
Old 04-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #53

THOR #15042
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM22FE View Post
Just three days ago went to Virginia and it tried to take me on a series of roads that were over 30 minutes out of the way according to Google maps.
Check the signal strength, update every 3 months and check the settings nothing electrical or mechanical is perfect. Garmin’s in my opinion is 99% right . Mountain, forest, some times effect it.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:17 AM   #54

State: Texas
THOR #21620
Smile Rvgps

I have a Garmin RV GPS and use it all the time. My only issue is often I know a different/shorter route that the unit downloads. It would be an improvement if you could select routes like with google maps. So what normally happens in these instances is that I start driving the alternate route I want to use and eventually the GPS corrects to my route.......after a lot of turn around instructions.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:40 AM   #55
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired16 View Post
I have a Garmin RV GPS and use it all the time. My only issue is often I know a different/shorter route that the unit downloads. It would be an improvement if you could select routes like with google maps. So what normally happens in these instances is that I start driving the alternate route I want to use and eventually the GPS corrects to my route.......after a lot of turn around instructions.
I’ll have to re-check but my Garmin RV770 allows me to display and select a different route. You could also add a waypoint on you desired route to go the way you want.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #56

THOR #20052
It directs you to routes that are acceptable to what you input in it i.e. propane height weight. Some routes you may not be allowed to go due to those restrictions
Old 04-09-2021, 02:32 AM   #57
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Garmin GPS and use my I-phone with Waze. Sometimes on short trips I use Waze and just put the Garmin on show map. The Garmin has the Low Clearance POI - GPS Data in it. I wish the data could be added to Waze. I do like having the speed limit on the Garmin listed.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #58

THOR #20052
My garmin has the speed limit
Old 04-09-2021, 11:49 AM   #59
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Anyone have the RV 1090? That looks pretty sweet.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/763101
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 12:34 PM   #60
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Wow! That 1090 does look pretty alluring...
I like that big screen!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote