Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaktop View Post
So still fuzzy. am I legal to transport in a state I travel through that isn’t reciprocal if I lock the gun and ammunition in separate containers not in the glove and dash area?
Check THAT State's laws. There is no blanket answer for all states.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:11 PM   #22
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I agree: this is where things get fuzzy...
But it's our responsibility to know the laws of the States that we'll be travelling through (or in); and then follow them.
After all: you don't want to become some District Attorneys example of how gun owners don't follow the rules.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #23

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
So still fuzzy. am I legal to transport in a state I travel through that isn’t reciprocal if I lock the gun and ammunition in separate containers not in the glove and dash area?

Nobody will answer that...as said...it's up to you to research the states you will travel in. If in doubt, lock them in proper containers and put them in a closet in the rear area of the coach...away from driver access while driving. If you have a specific state in question, let's look into it together and form an educated decision. Print off everything you can find from reliable resources and have it quickly available as you travel. Often, these documents may serve as "Judge & Jury" for you roadside. The 2nd Amendment guarantees your Right to Keep and Bear Arm..not necessarily to carry them in public. Your vehicle/MH is considered an "extension of your home" and you have the Right to have weapons in them....legal weapons, that is. It's also important to know what states have implemented laws banning certain style weapons, magazine capacities, etc. It's complicated but understandable...just takes lots of time an you only get one shot (no pun intended) of getting it right. This thread will be interesting and informative if we all stay on task. What states in particular are you speaking of?
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:38 PM   #24

Model: Quantum RQ29
State: Ohio
THOR #13648
Quote:
The short answer is maybe not.
I always check the laws of each state I'm going to travel through to make sure of the specifics, because each may be different.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #25

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Nobody will answer that...as said...it's up to you to research the states you will travel in. If in doubt, lock them in proper containers and put them in a closet in the rear area of the coach...away from driver access while driving. If you have a specific state in question, let's look into it together and form an educated decision. Print off everything you can find from reliable resources and have it quickly available as you travel. Often, these documents may serve as "Judge & Jury" for you roadside. The 2nd Amendment guarantees your Right to Keep and Bear Arm..not necessarily to carry them in public. Your vehicle/MH is considered an "extension of your home" and you have the Right to have weapons in them....legal weapons, that is. It's also important to know what states have implemented laws banning certain style weapons, magazine capacities, etc. It's complicated but understandable...just takes lots of time an you only get one shot (no pun intended) of getting it right. This thread will be interesting and informative if we all stay on task. What states in particular are you speaking of?
Exactly. I read the State laws and it’s not very clear to me. In Mass, LTC, small arm, small magazines. Can’t get to CA from here. Lol. Planning on a Utah license real soon. Can I get through NY, CO legally by locking it up like you described above? Need a bloody lawyer.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
As far as New York: contact the Attorney General.
Her name is Letitia James, and there's an informational helpline avaiable:
1-800-771-7755

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2019, 06:53 PM   #27
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Exactly. I read the State laws and it’s not very clear to me. In Mass, LTC, small arm, small magazines. Can’t get to CA from here. Lol. Planning on a Utah license real soon. Can I get through NY, CO legally by locking it up like you described above? Need a bloody lawyer.
One of the keys is the meaning of "get through". If you are driving through without stopping, transporting as specified by the federal laws should be sufficient. What gets tricking is if you plan on stopping overnight. If you stop overnight you may become subject to the laws of the state in which you stopped.

I, if at all possible, plan my trips to avoid states hostile to the 2nd Amendment and those that do not honor an individual's right to protect themselves or their family. As far as I am concerned, those states do not deserve the honor of my presence of economic contribution.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:59 PM   #28

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
Some small cities have issues? I think it is the BIG cities. Denver City AND County have tough gun laws, so most folks in the 'burbs are in violation as they travel in or thru Denver Cilty/County. And many have to do so to get from one place to another even if where they are going to and from are NOT in DEN. And for some strange reason, DEN also has the highest crime rate. Go figure.
Lbatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:24 AM   #29

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Quote:
Every state is different. Research each individual state before you travel. As previously mentioned, many cities have their own ordinances. Good luck, stay safe.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #30
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
One of the keys is the meaning of "get through". If you are driving through without stopping, transporting as specified by the federal laws should be sufficient. What gets tricking is if you plan on stopping overnight. If you stop overnight you may become subject to the laws of the state in which you stopped...

As examples, NY considers an overnight just made NY your destination, and no longer just passing through...

Beyond that - other issues like:
NJ you can’t have any hollow point ammo in possession.
Several states have maximum magazine sizes that can easily be exceeded.
States vary in whether you must inform an officer when stopped, (though my thought is to always tell them)...

Need to research based on specific states, what you intend to do in the state, and what you will be carrying or storing on board...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #31

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
What I did when I traveled in the NE last time was take a revolver and a shot gun. When we got to Virginia I took the ammo out of the revolver and locked the gun in a small steel box in the RV and the ammo in another. I kept my 3 round 'hunting' style shotgun also locked and unloaded in the RV while traveling. When I was in the RV (my home) I would load the shotgun. I may not have been 100% compliant with every jurisdictions law, however for it to be a problem they would have to have a warrant to search my home, and I felt like that was as good as I could get to be legal and safe.

Your mileage may vary.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #32
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
There is often a "Fuzzy" line between what's smart; and what is "Legal".

If I'm out of State: I'd only take the shotgun...
Old 07-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #33

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Appreciate all the advice. I am scheduled to do the Utah training. It was cheap and includes application and everything so worth it to me. Any advice for checking a handgun at the airport? I’ll have carry in both departing and landing States.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:49 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Why not call the airline, and ask them?
It's their plane, so they should certainly know the requirements.
(I've never checked a handgun: only rifles for a hunting trip up near the Ungava Bay...)
Old 07-02-2019, 11:34 PM   #35
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Appreciate all the advice. I am scheduled to do the Utah training. It was cheap and includes application and everything so worth it to me. Any advice for checking a handgun at the airport? I’ll have carry in both departing and landing States.

The airline part is simple... actually TSA requirements. Select states/cities have issues, but having carry permits honored at all airports you will be checking luggage at helps...

Gun unloaded, locked in TSA approved gun case.
Ammo packed separately (separate bag is best but shouldn’t be necessary - see below)

Worst reports I’ve seen have been NYC airports without a NY pistol license (NY accepts no other states permits).
People arrested at checkin counter when declaring weapon as TSA instructs to do...
And NY considering the weapon ‘loaded’ because the ammo was in same suitcase...
Many have charges dropped/reduced, but still spending a night in jail and $$ (10-15k) in legal fees...

Many states are no issue... be aware of where you are going and research each state... Some good CCW resources out there.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #36

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:

I do this most times I fly. As said, pack them in approved locking containers (gun in one and ammo in another), inside the luggage and declare them at bag check. The ammo must be in it's original packaging. They will give you a simple form to fill out. Place that in your baggage and then they will direct you to special TSA check point with your luggage. TSA will verify your "set up", make sure your containers are locked within your bag, then handle the luggage from there. You must have locks on the containers....lock them in their presence and keep those keys with you. You also must have a lock on your luggage and you keep that key with you also. I've found most TSA Agents very friendly to carrying and have had zero issues with checking weapons...as long as you are legal to carry where you are going. The first time I did this I was really nervous and prepared for jail. I realized after that...they do this all day, every day. It's as smooth as asking for chili on a hot dog at Dairy Queen.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #37

Model: Hurricane 34J
THOR #14384
Quote:
Beware with flying. You can be perfectly legal at your departure and destination, and if something happens and you end up in somewhere unfriendly (say Chicago), due to weather, do not pickup your checked bag. Leave it at the airport. If you take possession as I understand it you have now broken the law.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:43 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
My memory is a little foggy on this, but, some years back I seem to remember that open carry became legal all over. Even in the National Parks. There was a lot of controversy about the NP part, but just seems that it was OKed. They cited 2nd amendment rights.

Now I wouldn't run to the bank with that, but it might be worth while checking into.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #39

Model: S.O.B.
State: California
THOR #3483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
My memory is a little foggy on this, but, some years back I seem to remember that open carry became legal all over. Even in the National Parks. There was a lot of controversy about the NP part, but just seems that it was OKed. They cited 2nd amendment rights.

Now I wouldn't run to the bank with that, but it might be worth while checking into.
Absolutely false. The issue with the National Parks was the fact that they had once banned concealed carry. That has since been rescinded.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Crossroads
State: Wisconsin
THOR #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis earl View Post
Absolutely false. The issue with the National Parks was the fact that they had once banned concealed carry. That has since been rescinded.

Which part of my post are you calling false?