Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
Hershey RV Show.

Just returned from Hershey, PA from the RV show. It was interesting, but it was a long way for us... around 600 miles (I am retired, what else am I going to do).

We were primarily interested in accessories - tow bars, sway bars, etc. I spoke to factory reps from Blue Ox, and Hellwig, among others. That in itself was worth going.

Also found out that my coach has been redesignated as a 28H, which basically has the same floor plan, but removes the large window at the dinette and replaces it with two short horizontal windows. And that is the new location for the TV.

Unfortunately, they removed all of the overhead cabinets over the dinette to accommodate the TV, which my wife immediately noticed... we have precious little storage cabinetry as it is.

Not sure if they will still making the 28Z anymore or not, or whether the 28H is the replacement. The only people I saw there were Camping World sales reps, and while I am sure there were Thor factory reps there, I could not find any. Odd though that the 28Z/28H floorplan is the same, just removal of cabinets and relocation of the TV.

We also saw Newmar and Fleetwood 27~28ft class A coaches similar to the Thor Vega, and surprisingly, the Newmar had Formica rather than Corian counter tops. I presume, but did not verify, these are also on E series chassis as they seemed lower in height than the true class A coaches.

I though Newmar was a premium brand, but I was not impressed with it. I suppose though they have to have a competitive price point against other mfgs, so they have gone to the cheaper materials, at least for these coaches.

One of the coolest trends I saw (can't remember which mfg - might have been Winni), was a dedicated solar port on the side of the coach going to the electrical panel, with portable solar panels.

So the idea is to prop the panels on the ground and plug them into the inlet on the side of the coach.

Wonder if other manufacturers will follow suit... they do afterall have somewhat of a lemming mentality.

Anyway, whether or not we go again is doubtful, but it was at least nice to gone one time...