Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2014, 03:51 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Siesta 24SA
State: South Carolina
THOR #762
GVWR 2008 Siesta 24SA

The spec. sheet on my 2008 Siesta 24 SA on a Sprinter Chassis says GVWR is 11030. The title says Empty / GVW 11000. Is GVWR empty weight or maximum for that chassis?
I had it weighed yesterday, fully loaded with 40 gallons of water, full fuel tank and both of us. It weighed in at 11040, 4020 front and 7020 rear.
I realize this is a little over GVWR but I would like to know what the max is for front and rear to make sure neither is overweight. Does anyone have the max allowable for this Sprinter Chassis?
I just got back from a month long trip, our first in this coach and averaged 15.03 overall after about 10 fill ups. The worst 14.30 and the best 15.75. I am happy as my last unit only averaged 7.64 over 13 years.
Hope someone can help with the GVWR question.
Harry

Old 09-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

Model: Citation Sprinter 24SR
State: Oregon
THOR #972
We have a 2009 (2008 chassis) Winnebago View (for sale since purchase of a Citation Sprinter SR). GVWR is 11030: Limits are 4410 Front, 7720 Rear with a GCWR of 15,250 (max tongue weight of 500) the per the specs in the sales brochure.

GVWR is the maximum for the chassis. Sprinter-based RV's like the View, especially early models, were known for their limited cargo carrying weight (CCC), usually around 450 pounds.

Our new Citation is our third Sprinter RV; purchased the first View in 2005 and the Citation in July. Great rigs! You're getting, in my experience, expected mileage. I usually "flight-plan" for 13-14 in my newer rig.

RV and Vehicle Weight Definitions has more detail.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:14 AM   #3

THOR #762
Where did you get the 4410 and 7720 max figures? They sound like max tire weights allowable. If they are suspension max figures then I could feasabily carry about 1100 lbs more. That does not seem right.
Harry
Old 09-11-2014, 02:20 PM   #4

THOR #972
I'm not any kinda expert but I'm pretty sure GAWR is an axle weight limit. Wikipedia says: The gross axle weight rating (GAWR) is the maximum distributed weight that may be supported by an axle of a road vehicle. Typically, GAWR is followed by either the letters FR or RR, which indicate front or rear axles respectively.

I got the numbers from an old Winnebago brochure. I found it on a label stuck to the driver's door frame on my Citation SR (above the tire pressure label) this morning, same number: 4410/7720.

They are individuals axle weight limits, I believe. While the GVWR (limit of total weight on the frame) is 11030, one could not safely put all that weight on a single axle nor could one load both axles to their weight limits without exceeding the vehicles Gross Weight limit.

IE you could put 7720 on the rear and 3320 on the front, 6630 on the rear and 4410 on the front or any combination thereof that doesn't exceed any of the three GVWR/GAWR Front/GAWR Rear) limits.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:46 AM   #5

THOR #762
Then it looks like if I take 10lbs off either the front or the rear I will be spot on with the 11030 for my chassis. Actual weight 4020 on the front and 7020 on the rear for a total of 11040.
With those figures in mind I would be able to tow a vehicle up to 3500 lbs. as my GCWR is 14530. Am I reading that right?
Thanks;
Harry
Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Model: 2011 Four Winds 28Z
State: Michigan
THOR #531
As I understand it...

The GVWR is the maximum that the vehicle can weigh, including all of the passengers, cargo, fluids, etc. on board, as well as trailer tongue weight. And of course CGWR is the total amount of weight that can be hauled, pulled, braked, or generally under the control of the driver... essentially everything going down the road that is attached together.

Trailer tow capability is found by subtracting the CGWR from the GVWR, regardless of whether or not you are at maximum GVWR. In other words, if you are under GVWR, you cannot "borrow" the excess "capacity" (GVWR - true weight).

However, that does not seem to apply in your case as you are at maximum GVWR.

So if your CGWR is 14530, and your GVWR is 11030, then indeed your "maximum" trailer tow rating would be 3,500, because tow ratings are simply determined by CGWR - GVWR.

Also realize that tow ratings often assume flat terrain in temperate weather conditions. So if you are huffing it up a mountain or dragging it across Death Valley, your "actual" tow rating may be less.

I am conservative when it comes to tow ratings. I usually like at least a 25% margin of safety as I may be huffing it up mountains, or if I have to make an evasive maneuver in an emergency situation. And I have seen enough trailer accidents to make me believe that some people overload their rigs.

Twenty-five percent is probably over-kill on my part, but I don't feel comfortable going right up to the limit either.

If you are towing a 3500lb vehicle, if you are dolly towing, you might be overloaded as you have to consider both the weight of the dolly (400~600lbs) as well as the tongue weight, which can be a couple hundred pounds (and tongue weight must be subtracted from GVWR).

Dinghy towing would probably be your only choice in this situation as it adds little tongue weight and no additional weight of a dolly.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:38 AM   #7

THOR #762
I was towing a 2001 Honda CRV four down behind my 2002 Allegro Bus but since I traded down to the Siesta I have been thinking about trading down to a smaller car in the 2200 to 2600 lb. range, so that would fall into your safe towing weight.
Thanks again;
Harry
Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #8

THOR #972
Your calculations appear to be correct, Harry. My 2015 has a GCWR of 15250 so I can tow up to 4220 so long as I don't exceed the tongue weight limit.

As an aside, I just made a 1960 mile round-trip to Montana and back pulling a horse trailer, empty there, with a horse and llama on the way back. With the animals I figure I was pulling right at 4100 pounds. I kept a steady 65 MPH, except when climbing steep passes of course, and mileage ran between 11 and 14 mpg. Naturally the segments with high mountain passes were the ones with the lowest mpg.