Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Another sewer hose question

Two questions:

We just bought a 15 ft hose. Is that enough, or do we need a 5 or 10 ft extension?

Also what is the consensus on a tank rinser like the tornado?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:03 AM   #2

Model: Tuscany 38SQ
State: North Carolina
THOR #799
I carry three 10 foot sections. Normally I may use two of them. Rarely use all three.

Can't help you with your other question as I'm not familiar with that product.

Gary
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Only have had to use a sewer hose extension once or twice. Not really necessary.

Black tank flushers compared:
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Two questions:

We just bought a 15 ft hose. Is that enough, or do we need a 5 or 10 ft extension?
I also carry 3 hose that are 10 foot each. if you have the room take more because you never know how far away a full hookup could be and you don't want to be caught short... I use 3 at home and 2 most the time when out at camp grounds.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:56 PM   #5

Model: A.C.E. 30.1
State: California
THOR #3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Only have had to use a sewer hose extension once or twice. Not really necessary.

Black tank flushers compared:
Watched the video, and it was quite educational. I have to say, though, that to my knowledge the Sewer Solution isn't touted as being a sewer cleaning system. It's another way to dump your tanks.

When we dump, after all the liquid and bulk of other "stuff" is dumped, I have my partner pour a couple of buckets of HOT water down the toilet, quickly. It's amazing to see what gets knocked loose. Usually after 2, sometimes 3 buckets of hot water I get a (relatively) clean tank.

I think lots of new rigs come with something like the Tornado. I'm sure it does what the video showed, but I imagine that unless you're willing to put a high-pressure wand directly into the tank you'll never get everything out. My concern is avoiding that lovely mountain that seems to happen when people don't use enough water and too much toilet paper.

I'm very, very happy with the Sewer Solution, and feel that my black tank is quite well maintained. I never have to worry about having a downhill run to the sewer, as it works on an incline. It's so much easier to set up, too!

I do carry a slinky hose -- 15', I think -- and use it when we don't have a sewer hook-up at our site and need to dump quickly at a communal dumpsite. The Sewer Solution isn't quick.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedsmom View Post
Watched the video, and it was quite educational. I have to say, though, that to my knowledge the Sewer Solution isn't touted as being a sewer cleaning system. It's another way to dump your tanks....
Valterra does state that the sewer solution cleans the whole system to include the tank.

SewerSolution® System, Boxed - Valterra.com | Valterra.com

Bought one for the Class C a few years ago and sent it back for not working ass advertised.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I carry 2 lengths of sewer hose and sometimes have to use them both. I don't know the lengths, probably about 10 feet.

I also have a Tornado installed. I use it about every week or 10 days. I empty the tank normally and then use the Tornado. I have a clear elbow on the drain and I always see quite a bit more come out when I use the Tornado.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
THOR #1469
I have to carry a little more hose than normal because I have 2 dump stations for a gray/black combination and a separate gray in the rear. I have a Y that allows me to connect the front and rear hoses into a single hose going into the camp ground sewer.

I also have the black tank flush. I have for years been doing what is not recommended and running the flush with the gate valve closed. After dumping the black tank I will run the flush with the valve open for a minute or two and then close the valve. I will fill the tank to about half or 2/3 and then open the valve. Have not had any issues dumping in this manner.

I for one recommend the installation of a black tank flush if one is not installed.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov
I also have the black tank flush. I have for years been doing what is not recommended and running the flush with the gate valve closed. After dumping the black tank I will run the flush with the valve open for a minute or two and then close the valve. I will fill the tank to about half or 2/3 and then open the valve. Have not had any issues dumping in this manner.
I do the same thing with our tornado. I just make sure I don't fill the black tank up to the level of the tornado before dumping.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #10

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Two questions:

Also what is the consensus on a tank rinser like the tornado?
I carry a 20' and an additional 15', our sewer bay is midships on the coach so sometimes need the extra length.
The other item you may want is a clear section (straight or elbow) depending on your layout, really makes it ez to know when the tanks are clean.
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:11 PM   #11

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I do the same thing with our tornado. I just make sure I don't fill the black tank up to the level of the tornado before dumping.
Quick question, where did you put the tornado itself (how far down from the top and where on the side of the black tank) and where did you put the water connection?

Since you have an AXIS, thought I would ask
Old 08-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike
Quick question, where did you put the tornado itself (how far down from the top and where on the side of the black tank) and where did you put the water connection?
Unfortunately, I simply asked the dealer to install one when we purchased the unit. The bad part is I gave them no direction and assumed they would do as the instructions dictate (yeah I know what assume means)(Instructions say put it at the opposite end of the tank drain like in the video above). Instead here is where they put my Tornado:

Yup, right smack dab in the middle of the side of the tank. There is no room between the side of the tank and the outside hatch for the anti-siphon valve (or anything else for that matter) when the hatch is closed. There is barely enough room for the hose plug that I keep there so it doesn't leak or smell. (It should be on the right end of the tank in this picture.)

When it comes time to flush I remove the plug and connect up a hose (using the aforementioned anti-siphon valve as well).

Having said all that: It does work well, even when improperly positioned. The position is one of the reasons I use it to back fill the tank and flush given that I'm sure it isn't adequately cleaning out the right side of the tank (of course the toilet empties in the tank to the right of the flusher).
Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Florida
THOR #4466
I worked in sewer plants for years. Yes, you can call me Norton. One of the best ways to clean grease and other funk out of your black tank is to put about 5 big bags of ice through the toilet. Drive around on some curvy roads then dump your tank. Fill and flush a couple of times. Ice does a good job.
Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post
I worked in sewer plants for years. Yes, you can call me Norton. One of the best ways to clean grease and other funk out of your black tank is to put about 5 big bags of ice through the toilet. Drive around on some curvy roads then dump your tank. Fill and flush a couple of times. Ice does a good job.
Have you seen this video?
Do Ice Cubes in the RV Black Tank Really Work?

It's just a test, using mock-up tank and analog waste so it's certainly not a complete answer, but I think it does give thoughts to consider.
In my thinking it would likely scrub the bottom a bit, but not so much the side walls.
Maybe if it was repeated with a few inches of water so the ice floats above teh bottom
then again with more water so it floats higher
and again higher still
....if the goal is to scrub the side walls and tank sensors
Old 08-11-2016, 01:46 PM   #15

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Water, water, water. I really don't see a problem if you have a lot of water in tank when flushing and to use some type of chemical to break it down. I so far have had no issues removing waste when full.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.2
THOR #4466
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
Yes, I've seen it. All I can say is, to each his own. Perhaps I have the right touch after so many years of experience. It works quite well for me, is cheap and doesn't require any additional holes in the tank.