Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2020, 11:56 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Thanks Everyone! Stubborn bugs come off easily with Dawn dish soap-wet the area and put the soapy rag on them to sit for a couple of minutes-that really loosens them up!
GVP

Old 09-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguir View Post
I hand wash with an extendable wand and ladder

Takes two days though

If rain is forecast I bring the Tuscany out of the shop and park on the pad

Then use the brush letting the rain rinse it off

Usually we have lot of grasshoppers splattered over the front from coming across I70

I have found anything yet that works well removing them except persistence
Wet a Bounce and that will clean off the bugs
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 01:21 PM   #23

Model: 2019 Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #17456
Same plus foam gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yeah I hand wash the Axis all the time--of course it isn't nearly as big.

Use an extension pole as well (the pole I use is actually for painting LOL).
I do the same plus using a "foam cannon" to apply the suds. I do the same for the roof using a tall step ladder.
Old 09-26-2020, 06:57 PM   #24

Model: Majestic 23A
State: Virginia
THOR #950
I hand wash my rig with "Whateverisonsale" wash & wax stuff. I am lucky that I get to park my RV next to the house so I don't have to pay storage costs. And after hearing about the person that pays $221 a month for storage I think that for all the amenities that he described, that is a good deal.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #25

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Texas
THOR #10883
Yep

ACE 30.3, I always wash it by hand with RV wash soap. I have a telescoping wash brush that is made for vehicle washing. Good point about waxing the roof, hasn't been mentioned before from any one from Thor or camping world. I wash at home after trips and clean the bugs off every night when traveling. I just got back from a 177 mile trip and it rained the whole way. It is good and dirty now!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:47 PM   #26

Model: A.C.E. 29.2
State: Oklahoma
THOR #2542
Our A.C.E. 29.2 sits at the back of our long, wide driveway and is washed by hand multiple times each year. Camco RV Rubber Roof Cleaner and a long handled soft brush takes care of the top and (can’t remember the brand) automotive wash/wax for the rest of her. I’ve tried several waxes for the front cap to make bug removal easier but nothing stands out other than to just wax it. I did use a paste wax last year; something I won’t do again. Trying to apply the wax and buff it out by hand while on a ladder is just a bit uncomfortable. I can plan on a couple hours for the wash cycle alone.
Old 09-26-2020, 10:25 PM   #27

State: Nevada
THOR #20052
Yes I just did mine however mine is only 28 feet but it sure beats paying 150-200 dollars
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Hello All! With times as they are in the Covid world and with Life, we decided to Winterize our Aria 4000 and also took the time to hand-wash the rig this past weekend! We wanted to avoid getting it scratched up at the truck wash, so I tackled the top half via ladder all the way around, washing top-down, low enough to then reach the "wash line" from the ground, then proceeded from front to back all 41 feet of the rig, taking extra time for all the bug prints on the front surfaces. Four hours later and with my arms falling off I called it "mission accomplished", then headed back to put it in its indoor storage before this week's trip to Freightliner for the brake bolt recall and to have the dash AC inspected and/or fixed (as I mentioned in a separate thread last week).

Has anyone else been inclined to do a hand-wash on a rig of this size? Yeah, we may be nuts but the rig sure looks a lot better-cleaner than the delivery date, as a matter of fact....
GVP
Old 09-27-2020, 12:25 AM   #28

Model: Siesta
State: California
THOR #3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post

I use RV Wash & Wax ...
and
I do not put wax on any of the decals.
Just to clarify - do you use the RV Wash & Wax on the decals? Seems like it would be hard not to. I have not used this stuff before but it looks interesting...

Thanks
Dan
Old 09-27-2020, 12:31 AM   #29
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicofmassage@gmail.com View Post
Yes I just did mine however mine is only 28 feet but it sure beats paying 150-200 dollars
Ours is just under 26 feet: a veritable pipsqueak!
Old 09-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #30

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
Just to clarify - do you use the RV Wash & Wax on the decals? YES Seems like it would be hard not to. I have not used this stuff before but it looks interesting...

Thanks
Dan
RV Wash & Wax is a brand of Wash solution that has some wax inhibitors

I use RV Wash & Wax, but when using pure straight wax it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

It is the Pure straight wax that I don't put on the decals. But don't sue me, but even some of the pure wax does get on the edge of the decals. Point is I don't wax decals and try to avoid any wax getting on it. What little that may get on, is quickly wiped with the 303 protectant.

These are my RV tasks for 30ft RV. Note: I just kinda do when it needs it, or when I just get restless for something to do. I would NEVER spend more than 2 hours working.

1. RV Wash n Wax solution roof (30 minutes)
2. RV Wash n Wax solution entire perimeter of RV & wheels (1 hour)
3. Wax Roof with Meguiars Pure RV & Boat Wax #56 ( 1 hour) (Recommended by Crane Composite they make the Fiberglass roof)
4. Wax entire perimeter with Meguiars Pure RV & Boat Wax #56 ( 2 hours) (Recommended by Winnebago & Crane Composite for the high gloss automotive finish appearance
5. Apply decal treatment with 303 Protectant ( 30 minutes) (Note: I do not put wax on any of the decals.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:10 AM   #31

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
Doesn't take me hardly anytime at all to clean the Vegas. Steps are very simple:

1. Put half cup RV Wash and Wax in 5 gallon bucket.
2. Fill bucket to 3/4 full.
3. Get extendable brush and Dobie pad out.
4. Tell GF everything is ready for her.

I'm not all the callous. I do clean inside including windshield and all windows
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:34 AM   #32

State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
Cool

I use a foam cannon and extendable soft wash mit. Spent all 3 days on Labor Day weekend compounding with Meguires one Step compound and wool pad followed by Meguires #45 polish and them 2 coats of Rejex. Came out great. Previous owners took great care of the rig but spent lots of time in the Arizona sun and the gelcoat and decals were totally flat Click image for larger version

Name:	F898D3D4-37F2-4E7F-8B5E-9B5D9E909263.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	26346
Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 AM   #33

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
I use a foam cannon and extendable soft wash mit. Spent all 3 days on Labor Day weekend compounding with Meguires one Step compound and wool pad followed by Meguires #45 polish and them 2 coats of Rejex. Came out great. Previous owners took great care of the rig but spent lots of time in the Arizona sun and the gelcoat and decals were totally flat Attachment 26346
What year is the RV?

Did you apply all by hand or use buffer?

What did you put on the decals?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-27-2020, 10:15 AM   #34

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
The storage facility where we store our mh has a complete wash bay with pressure washers and brushes. There is also a platform to stand on to wash the top areas without climbing a ladder or being on top of the roof. I use that between home washing. They provide all of the soap, wax and spot free water in the pressure washers with a selector switch. Next to the wash bay is a dump station. There is also an air compressor to fill your tires, an ice machine with free ice and a vacuum station. It is nice and comes with the price of the storage.

Paul
Indoor storage? If I can be nosy, what’s it cost?
Old 09-27-2020, 10:35 AM   #35

State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What year is the RV?

Did you apply all by hand or use buffer?

What did you put on the decals?
2017 Vegas 24.1

Applied with a rotary buffer With wool pads after watching about 20 hrs of YouTube gelcoat boat videos.

Lots of work. Did the same to the decals first and separately. Used a small 3” wool pad. Need to keep moving over the surface with enough lubrication and not too much pressure. I was nervous to burn through at first but just keep an eye on them. On and off quickly and buff to see how it’s progressing, then a bit more if needed.

I found that I had to mask them off after doing them because of the amount of time I had to spend buffing the oxidation out. When I would get near the decals, they would smear black residue onto the main surface and cause more haze and work to remove. First time doing this. A bit of trial and error. Not for the faint of heart but then, I was never afraid of tackling something new.

I will definitely keep it up now. Lots of effort to bring it back once the sun bakes into the gelcoat. Pics below show masking and a side by side before and after.
Click image for larger version

Name:	244CDC59-5593-478C-BA64-EAE28478E176.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	26348

Click image for larger version

Name:	46E36533-53B5-4F77-A24D-CF14BF26987C.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	26349
Old 09-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #36

State: Nevada
THOR #20052
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspotho View Post
Just to clarify - do you use the RV Wash & Wax on the decals? Seems like it would be hard not to. I have not used this stuff before but it looks interesting...

Thanks
Dan
Right, I don't use it on the decals.
Happy camping!
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #37

State: New York
THOR #4227
That is a beautiful Motorhome

That is a beautiful RV. Very sharp
Old 09-27-2020, 12:53 PM   #38

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
2017 Vegas 24.1

Applied with a rotary buffer With wool pads after watching about 20 hrs of YouTube gelcoat boat videos.

Lots of work. Did the same to the decals first and separately. Used a small 3” wool pad. Need to keep moving over the surface with enough lubrication and not too much pressure. I was nervous to burn through at first but just keep an eye on them. On and off quickly and buff to see how it’s progressing, then a bit more if needed.

I found that I had to mask them off after doing them because of the amount of time I had to spend buffing the oxidation out. When I would get near the decals, they would smear black residue onto the main surface and cause more haze and work to remove. First time doing this. A bit of trial and error. Not for the faint of heart but then, I was never afraid of tackling something new.

I will definitely keep it up now. Lots of effort to bring it back once the sun bakes into the gelcoat. Pics below show masking and a side by side before and after.
Wow that is impressive.

Mine is 2019. I have been washing and waxing out of gate. So I don't think I need compound now.

I asked about the buffer because I bought a nice one from Harbor Freight last year, but I have yet to use on the RV. Thus far; I have done it all by hand. Did you use the buffer in any parts of the process when applying the polish and later the wax?

What about your roof? I hope I not about to put you to work I hand wax mine about 3 weeks ago preparing the leaves to start falling on it this Fall.

Next Jan/Feb; I wish to re-wax the roof and maybe this time use the buffer to after I have completed the hand application of the wax.

It has been a few month since I have waxed the sides, but maybe next spring after roof is complete I will do the sides. I did not use a polish because my gel coat is was in really good condition, but I think I will polish next time before applying the wax.

Short the RV Wash & Wax solution, I try to avoid getting wax on decals. While I don't mask the decals I do apply 303 protectant at the end and wipe down pretty good. The decals stay looking vibrant, prolly better than new?
Old 09-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #39

State: Michigan
THOR #17909
Which 303 protectant do you use on your decals?
Old 09-27-2020, 01:44 PM   #40

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambchop View Post
Which 303 protectant do you use on your decals?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/303-Aeros...RoCF8cQAvD_BwE

There may be others mfg brands that can do the same job, but this stuff is proven. I use after ever wash when it is nice and cool. I kind if hate my wash solution is called RV Wash & Wax because it falsely implies that I have washed & waxed RV which is not true in my book. But it too is a great product that I try to use monthly. I wax for real twice a year.