Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Wow that is impressive.

Mine is 2019. I have been washing and waxing out of gate. So I don't think I need compound now.

You should be fine. My plan is to keep it up now and I’m sure it will stay looking good. What I found from indulging in thegelcoat restoration videos is the gelcoat is very porous and needs moisture. Meguires 45 polish is made to replenish that moisture so applying that with a foam polish pad on a DA polisher followed by your wax or in my case Rejex should keep it looking great.

I asked about the buffer because I bought a nice one from Harbor Freight last year, but I have yet to use on the RV. Thus far; I have done it all by hand. Did you use the buffer in any parts of the process when applying the polish and later the wax?

Yes definitely a buffer. I used a HF rotary for the compound and a DA for the polish. Makes much easier work.

What about your roof? I hope I not about to put you to work I hand wax mine about 3 weeks ago preparing the leaves to start falling on it this Fall.

My roof is TPO on the Vegas. Just wash and 2 coats of 303

Next Jan/Feb; I wish to re-wax the roof and maybe this time use the buffer to after I have completed the hand application of the wax.

It has been a few month since I have waxed the sides, but maybe next spring after roof is complete I will do the sides. I did not use a polish because my gel coat is was in really good condition, but I think I will polish next time before applying the wax.

Short the RV Wash & Wax solution, I try to avoid getting wax on decals. While I don't mask the decals I do apply 303 protectant at the end and wipe down pretty good. The decals stay looking vibrant, prolly better than new?
I have heard many good things about Wash and Wax. Should serve you well between polishing.

Old 09-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
I hand wash my rig with "Whateverisonsale" .
Does that come in one gallon sizes?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:09 AM   #43

Model: Four Winds 35 SB
State: California
THOR #10298
Once a year...full wash And wax. About six times a year, Hand wash...granted mine is only 35, but I enjoy it. McGuires and a big brush. Usually follow it up with Quick Detailer and window Cleaner.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:17 AM   #44

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
A foam cannon and a brush on a long pole work great. this company has some great stuff, been using their products for years on daily drivers, RV and the hot rods.

https://adamspolishes.com/?utm_sourc...caAnKAEALw_wcB
Old 10-06-2020, 01:17 AM   #45
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Well....why not....we wash our Axis with a regular kitchen sponge mop and a buck of Dawn/water.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:04 PM   #46

Model: Chateau Sport
State: Washington
THOR #14295
My little Class C is only 24’, I wash and wax her a couple times a year. It’s super fun and my rig looks gorgeous too!
Old 10-08-2020, 12:24 AM   #47

Model: 35SF
State: Michigan
THOR #18186
We wash by hand prior to each trip out.
Wax approx every 3rd trip.
Just finished washing and drying about an hour ago.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #48

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
I hand wash my 33 foot Palazzo about once a year. Takes 4 hours but it looks good and is worth the time.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:25 PM   #49

Model: Windsport 29m
State: North Carolina
THOR #9553
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVP-The Boxcar Children View Post
Hello All! With times as they are in the Covid world and with Life, we decided to Winterize our Aria 4000 and also took the time to hand-wash the rig this past weekend! We wanted to avoid getting it scratched up at the truck wash, so I tackled the top half via ladder all the way around, washing top-down, low enough to then reach the "wash line" from the ground, then proceeded from front to back all 41 feet of the rig, taking extra time for all the bug prints on the front surfaces. Four hours later and with my arms falling off I called it "mission accomplished", then headed back to put it in its indoor storage before this week's trip to Freightliner for the brake bolt recall and to have the dash AC inspected and/or fixed (as I mentioned in a separate thread last week).

Has anyone else been inclined to do a hand-wash on a rig of this size? Yeah, we may be nuts but the rig sure looks a lot better-cleaner than the delivery date, as a matter of fact....
GVP
I have a Windsport 29m and have washed it a number of times. Getting ready to have the front and rear caps wet sanded and waxed because of heavy sun damage and oxidation! Most times I pick a 2 day period when it will be warm and sunny and do half one day and the rest the next. Tryit, you'll like it better!!! Bob Trice
Old 10-17-2020, 11:55 AM   #50

Model: hurricane 29m
State: Arkansas
THOR #7095
Quote:
Originally Posted by twovillagers View Post
I do the same plus using a "foam cannon" to apply the suds. I do the same for the roof using a tall step ladder.

X2. [emoji106]
Old 10-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #51

State: Alaska
THOR #21079
@Projectman I have a 2017 Windsport I picked up that had a good bit of oxidation. I used Maguire's One Step also but haven't finished up with a polish. I was fairly happy with the results but after seeing yours, I may have to get back after it [emoji16]. Some of my decals have a white haze to them also so just something else I need to correct. Nice work! Did you notice that the real shine came AFTER the polish?
Old 10-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #52

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Massachusetts
THOR #18508
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodag99 View Post
@Projectman I have a 2017 Windsport I picked up that had a good bit of oxidation. I used Maguire's One Step also but haven't finished up with a polish. I was fairly happy with the results but after seeing yours, I may have to get back after it [emoji16]. Some of my decals have a white haze to them also so just something else I need to correct. Nice work! Did you notice that the real shine came AFTER the polish?
It did shine a bit deeper after polish but the real change did come with the one step compound with the wool pad on a rotary polisher. It was so oxidized that I had to go over the same area 3 times with the compound wiping with microfiber each time. It was tedious but I'm sure I can keep it up now. The polish, as I understand, does add the needed moisture that the gelcoat needs.

The compound does work on the decals but move quickly, lightly and keep moist with a spray bottle of water misting lightly when buffing.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #53

State: Alaska
THOR #21079
Gotcha....I only hit it once so sounds like another weekend project. Thanks!