Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #21
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenov View Post
We have a 32’ Chateau and use the Blue Ox tow bar with no issues at all. The jeep wobble issue was years ago and not happenings with newer jeeps. Is the tow bar locking full out when you start to go? Are you putting jeep in Park, then 4WD, then to Neutral then put into Low, then leave in Low and put jeep into Park with parking brake off. We experience no wind handling issues with or without the Jeep being towed. In fact we can’t even tell we’re towing the jeep. Our Chateau has a 10k tow capacity.
Transmission is Park and transfer case in Low for flat towing? I think that's a recipe for disaster.

2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:57 PM   #22

State: Utah
THOR #3257
That is the correct process for flat tow. Seems weird but with transfer case in Low transmission goes into Park. Read your manual. Are you just putting jeep in neutral? If so that’s why it feels like it’s pushing you. Is your jeep 4WD?
Old 10-27-2018, 10:18 PM   #23

Model: Chateau 35SD
State: California
THOR #4270
Quote:
That is the correct process for flat tow. Seems weird but with transfer case in Low transmission goes into Park. Read your manual. Are you just putting jeep in neutral? If so that’s why it feels like it’s pushing you. Is your jeep 4WD?
According to the Jeep manual:
If moving a Jeep by recreational towing, such as behind a motorhome, the vehicle must have all four wheels in contact with the pavement. The reason for this is because internal damage to the transfer case can occur if a front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational towing.

How To Tow A Jeep Wrangler Behind An RV
First, the transfer case must be shifted into NEUTRAL. Here's how to do that:
Key must be in the "accessory" position:

Depress and hold the brake pedal.
* Set Parking Brake
* Shift an automatic transmission into NEUTRAL (N) or depress clutch pedal on manual transmission.
* Shift the transfer case level into NEUTRAL (N).
* Start the engine.
* Shift the automatic transmission into DRIVE (D) or the manual transmission into gear.
* Release the brake pedal and ensure that there is no vehicle movement.
* IMPORTANT: Shut the engine off and place the ignition key into the unlocked OFF position.*
* Shift the automatic transmission into PARK (P).
* Apply the parking brake.
* Attach the Jeep to the tow vehicle with a tow bar.
* Release the parking brake.

Note: Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission is shifted into PARK (P) with the transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running!
Old 10-27-2018, 10:22 PM   #24
Site Team

THOR #7035
Quote:
We have a 32’ Chateau and use the Blue Ox tow bar with no issues at all. The jeep wobble issue was years ago and not happenings with newer jeeps. Is the tow bar locking full out when you start to go? Are you putting jeep in Park, then 4WD, then to Neutral then put into Low, then leave in Low and put jeep into Park with parking brake off. We experience no wind handling issues with or without the Jeep being towed. In fact we can’t even tell we’re towing the jeep. Our Chateau has a 10k tow capacity.
What year & model Jeep do you have? Most Jeeps have you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Park to flat tow.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:40 PM   #25

Model: Quantum RS26
State: Indiana
THOR #10823
The manual on our Liberty clearly states Transmission in PARK, Transfer case in NEUTRAL. Duneryder's process looks like it came straight from our owner's manual.
I've never heard of any vehicle that requires a 4x4 transfer case to be in low range to tow.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #26

Model: Thor four winds SF 35
State: Texas
THOR #13025
I have towed four different jeeps behind three different motor homes and have not had any problems over the last 20 years. Is your tow bar near level with the hitch? You may have to get a dropped hitch to make them align up. Good luck
Old 10-28-2018, 10:08 AM   #27

State: Utah
THOR #3257
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
What year & model Jeep do you have? Most Jeeps have you put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in Park to flat tow.
Sorry, missed last step. Transfer case from low to neutral then transmission into park.
Old 10-28-2018, 10:15 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #5682
I had a similar issue towing my 2014 Wrangler

I mounted a gopro and filmed what was going on. Turned out there was a lot of slack in the tow bar where it mounted into the receiver. I installed this and it helped quite a bit

https://www.amazon.com/Lifetime-Warr.../dp/B01N22S92X
Old 10-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #29

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12158
I just bought a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the intent of towing it behind my 2016 30’ Thor Outlaw with the V-10. Any suggestions or issues anyone knows about except using the Blue Ox tow bar set up and making sure everything is in neutral ? I’m not familiar with breaking systems; are they really necessary !
Old 10-28-2018, 03:32 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFran View Post
I just bought a 2016 Grand Cherokee with the intent of towing it behind my 2016 30’ Thor Outlaw with the V-10. Any suggestions or issues anyone knows about except using the Blue Ox tow bar set up and making sure everything is in neutral ? I’m not familiar with breaking systems; are they really necessary !
Only the 4 wheel drive with the Quadra Trac II Grand Cherokee is flat towable. The Quadra Trac I model does not have a neutral in the transfer case. Transfer case in Neutral, Trans in Park. By law(in most states) braking systems are required. If your in an accident without one you could become fodder for the legal profession.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:34 PM   #31
Site Team

THOR #7035
Yeah, I'd never want a breaking system in any toad. But a braking system is required in most states. Some exceptions for toads under 3000 lbs.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:19 PM   #32

Model: Four Winds
State: Ontario
THOR #9081
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFran View Post
I am sorry to double quote you. I knew there was a thread on this and I found it. RVEd posted this in September. Take a look at the first thread, the Physics of Towed Vehicle. http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f9/...ned-14115.html