Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2022, 07:51 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 408
THOR #3923
This happens too often to be coincidental

I don't get this...on a long trip and passing many 18-wheelers along the way I found many of them start to wander over towards me as I'm passing them...and I'm not talking just slightly. Sometimes I thought our mirrors would hit. And there were times that my SO would be saying "WATCH OUT"!!
It happens too often to be coincidental and many times I find myself trying to leave plenty of room between me and them when passing.

What puzzles me is why are they drifting over??

__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:03 PM   #2
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 11,029
THOR #7035
Suction. Same reason the push and pull you around when the pass you.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 408
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Suction. Same reason the push and pull you around when the pass you.
I was wondering if that was the case...but I also questioned if it might be them looking in their side mirrors and not where they are going.

I plan to review threads about stabilizers, cause I was in high wind areas, and I was getting blown all over. I ended up buying one but haven't put it on.
But what puzzles me, is how does a stabilizer keep the rig from being blown around or when passing these rigs? Seems to me that the wind is going to push the rig regardless if you have stabilizer on.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 438
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I don't get this... passing many 18-wheelers along the way
And why are you trying to pass 18 wheelers?
Simple solution is drive 65mph or less and then they have to be concerned with that!!!

Just teasing you....

ACE just told you above.
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:13 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 408
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
And why are you trying to pass 18 wheelers?
Simple solution is drive 65mph or less and then they have to be concerned with that!!!

Just teasing you....

ACE just told you above.
Many of the 18-wheelers were passing me...some of them really move.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:36 PM   #6
Site Team
 
16ACE27's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
Posts: 11,029
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I was wondering if that was the case...but I also questioned if it might be them looking in their side mirrors and not where they are going.

I plan to review threads about stabilizers, cause I was in high wind areas, and I was getting blown all over. I ended up buying one but haven't put it on.
But what puzzles me, is how does a stabilizer keep the rig from being blown around or when passing these rigs? Seems to me that the wind is going to push the rig regardless if you have stabilizer on.
More likely, at their phones. We see it all the time when they can't seem to stay in their own lane.
__________________
Ted & Melinda
2016 ACE 27.1
2016 Chevy Sonic Toad
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Alternate Toad
16ACE27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Vibeman's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Michigan
Posts: 148
THOR #17235
I had a Saf-T-Plus stabilizer on my coach, but I recently took it back off. In my opinion it is a trade-off. Some things get better, some things get worse. As far as why you get blown around at highway speeds, here is my opinion. My 2019 Ford F-53 chassis has a significant amount of play in the steering wheel, it is normal, but still significant. As you are driving, this play will allow your front wheels to move slightly left or right in reaction to wind load even though you are holding the steering wheel totally still. This will cause the coach to drift left or right. The steering stabilizer attaches directly to the tie rod and holds it, and the front wheels, stationary. The play is still felt in the steering wheel, but does not affect the front wheels until enough force is applied to overcome the springs inside the stabilizer. Many other factors affect handling also, the stabilizer will help with one factor but donít expect it to stop all the effects of crosswind.
__________________
I like to travel, but I also like to get back home.
Vibeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 438
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibeman View Post
I had a Saf-T-Plus stabilizer on my coach, but I recently took it back off. ...
I have the 2020 Chassis (2021 MH) therefore the improved Ford stab. bars, etc but I too took the safe T plus off.
The main reason was that I was never able to make it right.
When I say right I mean, I take the hands off of the steering wheel and the coach keep a strait line.... (what I can do w/o it now, provided there is no side winds..)
If you have to constantly be fighting the safe T plus, even if just a little, it is my experience that it just make the sidewind/semis passing trouble worst.
I also can say that I just recently lubricated the front axle and that made a difference for the better on handling....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 01:56 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 816
THOR #5313
I use the roadmaster damper. It is spring loaded to center and seemed to make a difference. The oem damper may have lost some of its oil or was simply defective. Install was easy, drive straight to swale and swap out. Had no need to adjust.

Trucks/semis passing less of an issue, possibly got used to driving RV. Gusty side winds bother my unit more than anything. Not much to do other than slow down.

Trucks/semis usually great to freight train with, saves fuel staying just out of wiggle area. I do not like running beside them if a choice. There have been times I break away as they start wandering. Is good this thing can handle great at speeds above 75 mph. Will never fall asleep driving it as watching mirrors for overtaking trucks is constant.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:06 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 438
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Trucks/semis usually great to freight train with, saves fuel staying just out of wiggle area.
Until...
You get a rock that cracks your windshield and realize your front cap is full of marks of lil rocks ....

I preffer to keep the semis far from me, even when they are ahead of me...
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:51 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 816
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
Until...
You get a rock that cracks your windshield and realize your front cap is full of marks of lil rocks ....

I preffer to keep the semis far from me, even when they are ahead of me...
Once again, all depends on conditions. Clean new road vs construction areas. I did have windshield cracked by rocks on I4 around Orlando once. I was alone in the slalom during constuction. It may have been off opposite side of road. Florida zero deductable took care of it.

Everything is as conditions allow. Lost my trailer tag south of Memphis TN in some of the biggest potholes I have ever seen.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 816
THOR #5313
I am old, but try real hard to be a sour puss old guy.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:01 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
MJC62's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
Posts: 1,535
THOR #14698
Have a friend who is a truck driver and he says when truckers are wandering all over the highway back and forth over the lines, they are pissing in a cup.
__________________
2018 ACE 27.2
Toad 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain Towbar
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:11 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
RACarvalho's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2021 Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
Posts: 438
THOR #19887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggs View Post
Once again, all depends on conditions....
I had "something"hit my windshield on Hwy 1 going down to Key west...
Clean hwy but someone rode over something an caused a 1ft+ crack on my 4 months old MH windshield....

Since then, 100ft+ is what I try to keep from the guy in front of me....
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
simidrm's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 40ex
State: Ohio
Posts: 338
THOR #12726
I drove a semi for over 20 years and worked on them another 10 and in my experience a truck wandering is the driver is distracted by talking on a phone, eating, peeing, using there Qualcomm, half asleep or just a plain crappy drivers and sometimes they wander over on purpose, and remember a Rv is a lot like a semi a rolling bill board subject to wind issues , with there weight and size difference between you and them, you will never cause enough draft to affect them, and like I tell my wife if you have to pass them do it quickly as being beside them is not the place to be if they have a tire blow out.
__________________
simidrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 05:20 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
Posts: 816
THOR #5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACarvalho View Post
I had "something"hit my windshield on Hwy 1 going down to Key west...
Clean hwy but someone rode over something an caused a 1ft+ crack on my 4 months old MH windshield....

Since then, 100ft+ is what I try to keep from the guy in front of me....
I used to collect fishing lures off truck mirrors going to Key West in old days.

I do not know what RV you drive but with our Vegas, inside 100' the turbulent air shakes cab. Since we usually towing race trailer we are 50' long aand I am usually never closer the 3 lengths. The e450 ABS works great along with tethering dog. Had a prius go around me on FL pike headed to WDW. I was doing 70, he passed and cut in front slamming his brakes on. Came within 6 to 10 feet of becoming a hood ornament.

Also never follow dump trucks/trailers and flatbeds with loads tied down.

In flodia heat semi tires put on great fireworks, I never run along side. Usually you smell rubber when behind before they pop.
__________________
Muggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:19 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 408
THOR #3923
Quote:
Originally Posted by simidrm View Post
I drove a semi for over 20 years and worked on them another 10 and in my experience a truck wandering is the driver is distracted by talking on a phone, eating, peeing, using there Qualcomm, half asleep or just a plain crappy drivers and sometimes they wander over on purpose, and remember a Rv is a lot like a semi a rolling bill board subject to wind issues , with there weight and size difference between you and them, you will never cause enough draft to affect them, and like I tell my wife if you have to pass them do it quickly as being beside them is not the place to be if they have a tire blow out.
This is what I have noticed...I didn't think it was a "suction" issue and if anything, they would be pushed away as I'm pushing the wind into them. About everyone we passed that was moving we saw the guy drinking, one was actually texting, another hanging up his CB radio mic, and I think others look in their rearview mirrors and not ahead. A couple of them I honked at them.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 06:46 PM   #18
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 701
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
I was wondering if that was the case...but I also questioned if it might be them looking in their side mirrors and not where they are going.

I plan to review threads about stabilizers, cause I was in high wind areas, and I was getting blown all over. I ended up buying one but haven't put it on.
But what puzzles me, is how does a stabilizer keep the rig from being blown around or when passing these rigs? Seems to me that the wind is going to push the rig regardless if you have stabilizer on.
I having air suspension had to do four things to correct the "getting pushed" while driving. Also admit that I have an entry level diesel pusher. First thing is to understand that your rig is being pushed by wind force. This causes the box to lean causing you to try and correct. First is weigh and make sure you have the proper air pressure and then a front end alignment. After that is proper and you still get pushed, add the largest rear stabilizer bar you can get which will do the most to help. I had to add new stiffer shocks for two reasons. The OEM were soft and would allow the front to bottom out and still had pushing. Not as bad, but still a pain. Then I added air bag isolators that stopped the left and right side air bags from transferring air from one side to the other. After that I still got some pushing that I did not like. Manly from big wind gusts form the side. The kind that can push big rigs almost out of their lane. Then I added the Safe-T-Steer. Much better now for me. Some do not like the Safe-T-Steer and some do. Obviously you do not need air bag isolators. Try one thing at a time. Go on a trip and see if you can be comfortable with the change. If so you are good to go. Otherwise try the next.
__________________
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Honda CRV
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Hurricane 29M
State: California
Posts: 408
THOR #3923
MPL...thanks for taking the time to write all that...it's good information!

Since you brought up air bags (which I have on my pickup truck), maybe you can help me with this also. I park my rig on the side of my house, but to do so, I drive over my lawn. Under my lawn, I have a plastic grid (honeycomb) system on top of compact gravel, so the rig doesn't sink into the grass. The problem is this...I believe my neighbors tree is causing my grass/plastic honeycomb to raise up, and now when I'm backing up over the curb (with curb ramps), the backend of my coach is digging into the lawn (actually the hitch).
Now I could put some raisers on the sidewalk so that my back,wheels are higher, or I was thinking I could install airbags to raise up the backend. Same thing happened to me while I was at a campground where they had these drainage paths that when the back wheels went over, the back end (again the hitch) hit the ground. I am also considering putting on a roller wheel on the back of the hitch so it won't hit.
As I mentioned, I put air bags on my truck which wasn't that difficult but not sure how difficult it would be on the coach.
__________________
Jusplainwacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 07:59 PM   #20
MLP
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
Posts: 701
THOR #17478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusplainwacky View Post
MPL...thanks for taking the time to write all that...it's good information!

Since you brought up air bags (which I have on my pickup truck), maybe you can help me with this also. I park my rig on the side of my house, but to do so, I drive over my lawn. Under my lawn, I have a plastic grid (honeycomb) system on top of compact gravel, so the rig doesn't sink into the grass. The problem is this...I believe my neighbors tree is causing my grass/plastic honeycomb to raise up, and now when I'm backing up over the curb (with curb ramps), the backend of my coach is digging into the lawn (actually the hitch).
Now I could put some raisers on the sidewalk so that my back,wheels are higher, or I was thinking I could install airbags to raise up the backend. Same thing happened to me while I was at a campground where they had these drainage paths that when the back wheels went over, the back end (again the hitch) hit the ground. I am also considering putting on a roller wheel on the back of the hitch so it won't hit.
As I mentioned, I put air bags on my truck which wasn't that difficult but not sure how difficult it would be on the coach.
I had an Itaska Sprit that was a tail dragger. I put air bags on it to level it. Adding weight to the front worked wonders on the way it handled. Boy did it get pushed around until I did so. I also added a large rear stabilizer, had the front end aligned, and new shocks. The air bags should lift it enough to clear your grass so long as it isn't too deep. If you get the Air Lift system, you can get a remote. I did so on my GMC diesel dully. When I had a fifth wheel, the weight made it squat. I had two settings. One for the fifth wheel and one for without.
__________________
2013 Thor Palazzo 33.2
2013 Honda CRV
MLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2