Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-21-2020, 09:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Hand-washing your rig?

Hello All! With times as they are in the Covid world and with Life, we decided to Winterize our Aria 4000 and also took the time to hand-wash the rig this past weekend! We wanted to avoid getting it scratched up at the truck wash, so I tackled the top half via ladder all the way around, washing top-down, low enough to then reach the "wash line" from the ground, then proceeded from front to back all 41 feet of the rig, taking extra time for all the bug prints on the front surfaces. Four hours later and with my arms falling off I called it "mission accomplished", then headed back to put it in its indoor storage before this week's trip to Freightliner for the brake bolt recall and to have the dash AC inspected and/or fixed (as I mentioned in a separate thread last week).

Has anyone else been inclined to do a hand-wash on a rig of this size? Yeah, we may be nuts but the rig sure looks a lot better-cleaner than the delivery date, as a matter of fact....
GVP

Old 09-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #2

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I have a Magnitude SV34 Super C. Not quite as big as your coach but still pretty big.

I purchased this telescopic pole and brush to hand-wash the coach.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use it for the cab-over and all areas above arms reach. Then I use a regular sponge on the lower areas. It does a very good job for me without having to get the ladder out every time. I'll even spray some bug and tar remover on the brush and work it in to get the cab-over clean.

The only time I use the ladder now is when I am putting on a coat of this Turtle Wax Ceramic Coating...

https://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-53.../dp/B07XYPS3PS
Old 09-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #3

Model: 2019 Aria 4000
State: Utah
THOR #15943
Thanks Judge, we did use a "stick and mop" arrangement to get the crown of the front cap-I didn't want to climb the back ladder then belly down to scrub the front cap-always had this vision of sliding right down off the front, face first....
Gary
GVP
Old 09-21-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
I've been through some truck washes with my snowmobile trailer and pickup truck during the winter but never took any of my coaches through them. I also worried about getting them scratched up.

I tend to wash my coach by hand after every trip and while on the road use some of this on the lower areas to keep it looking decent while traveling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back in April when we were in Savannah, a guy with a Class A on his way back from Florida to the northeast was washing his coach at the campsite. He pulled out a ladder and started shining it up. The front was covered with love bugs and he showed me a little trick where he used dryer sheets to clean the front cap. Worked pretty darn good.

I can't see getting into that much cleaning detail at a campsite.... plus some places / people frown on it. I figured if the coach got bad enough while on the road, I would stop at a manual car wash place if I found one high enough I could drive into.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
I hand wash with an extendable wand and ladder

Takes two days though

If rain is forecast I bring the Tuscany out of the shop and park on the pad

Then use the brush letting the rain rinse it off

Usually we have lot of grasshoppers splattered over the front from coming across I70

I have found anything yet that works well removing them except persistence
Old 09-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
We did that same thing to our RV yesterday... right after our pressure washer bit the dust!
It was just like washing our Toad... only it was 3 times longer, two and a-half times wider, and 50% wider.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1600690923
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	September Cleaning 02.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	26234  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Yeah I hand wash the Axis all the time--of course it isn't nearly as big.

Use a extension pole as well (the pole I use is actually for painting LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I may try to sneak mine into one of those High School "Wash your car for $10 fundraisers"...
Old 09-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #9

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The storage facility where we store our mh has a complete wash bay with pressure washers and brushes. There is also a platform to stand on to wash the top areas without climbing a ladder or being on top of the roof. I use that between home washing. They provide all of the soap, wax and spot free water in the pressure washers with a selector switch. Next to the wash bay is a dump station. There is also an air compressor to fill your tires, an ice machine with free ice and a vacuum station. It is nice and comes with the price of the storage.

Paul
Old 09-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If they had a cable TV hook-up: you'd never have to leave!
What do they charge?
Old 09-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
That's the only way I have ever done it. Pretty much after every trip, and sometimes in between when it just gets dusty. Telescopic pole, good car wash soap, and a sudser (sprays the soap through the hose-end spray nozzle). I have done the rig with a ceramic coating once which definitely helps.
Mike
Old 09-21-2020, 09:04 PM   #12

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwadley View Post
The storage facility where we store our mh has a complete wash bay with pressure washers and brushes. There is also a platform to stand on to wash the top areas without climbing a ladder or being on top of the roof. I use that between home washing. They provide all of the soap, wax and spot free water in the pressure washers with a selector switch. Next to the wash bay is a dump station. There is also an air compressor to fill your tires, an ice machine with free ice and a vacuum station. It is nice and comes with the price of the storage.

Paul

Well that’s sweet! I thought I was doing well to find a paved lot for storage!!
Old 09-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #13

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
We did that same thing to our RV yesterday... right after our pressure washer bit the dust!
It was just like washing our Toad... only it was 3 times longer, two and a-half times wider, and 50% wider.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1600690923
Where is your Toad? You didn't throw it out with the RV wash water did you
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:30 PM   #14

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
I wash my RV all the time and after every trip, I can't possibly see how it can take more than 1 hour Must be really really dirty or bugs all over the front?

I use RV Wash & Wax, but when using pure straight wax it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

These are my RV tasks for 30ft RV. Note: I just kinda do when it needs it, or when I just get restless for something to do. I would NEVER spend more than 2 hours working.

1. RV Wash n Wax solution roof (30 minutes)
2. RV Wash n Wax solution entire perimeter of RV & wheels (1 hour)
3. Wax Roof with Meguiars Pure RV & Boat Wax #56 ( 1 hour) (Recommended by Crane Composite they make the Fiberglass roof)
4. Wax entire perimeter with Meguiars Pure RV & Boat Wax #56 ( 2 hours) (Recommended by Winnebago & Crane Composite for the high gloss automotive finish appearance
5. Apply decal treatment with 303 Protectant ( 30 minutes) (Note: I do not put wax on any of the decals.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Spring and fall I wash the roof with Murphy's Oil Soap, usually after the pollen blooms. After every trip I wash the coach with Crystal Wash and Wax. I have never waxed any of my coaches.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 10:20 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Where is your Toad? You didn't throw it out with the RV wash water did you
I put it in my back pocket for safe keeping.
But I think it went into the wash with my pants!
Old 09-21-2020, 11:27 PM   #17

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
The storage lot where I am runs $221 per month for outdoor parking. A bit higher for a covered location. It is black top with security gates for access. I have 24hrs access. It is about 12 miles from my home. They have staff during the day and cameras 24/7 with a block wall around most of the perimeter. Some areas have a chain link fence mostly around the backside.

Paul
Old 09-21-2020, 11:50 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
My Dealer charges me $100 for the five Months that I store mine there.
It's secure: But that's about it!
Old 09-22-2020, 02:05 AM   #19

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
I’m at $90/mo for a 15x40 foot assigned outdoor space on concrete. Gated but with 24/7 access. No cameras but high fences with barbed wire in top. At least it’s only about 2 miles from home.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:37 AM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
I’m at $90/mo for a 15x40 foot assigned outdoor space on concrete. Gated but with 24/7 access. No cameras but high fences with barbed wire in top. At least it’s only about 2 miles from home.
Ours is similar: $50/month fenced in with high fences on crushed asphalt except that there is also an old car restoration business on the lot and they offer up the mechanics to the RV owners. Need something done just let them know and a few days later its done (oil changes, change out couch to recliners, rebuild a wall, whatever you want; of course you have to pay but sometimes its easier to write a check than DIY).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote