Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-15-2022, 07:36 PM   #1
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Winnebago All Electric Motorhome concept reveal

Winnebago All Electrict concept motorhome reveal January 18th, 2pm (link to Facebook event)

Interesting...of course the big question will be "range?". What platform will it use? Both Mercedes and Ford have EV versions of the Sprinter and Transit respectively (however, neither has the range an RV'er would want).

For those of you without Facebook here is a screen grab--not sure if they will also have it on youtube.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-15 143550.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	35639

Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-15 143608.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	35640

Of course "All Electric" could simply mean no propane, big Li-Ion, no generator, but still an internal combustion engine--I don't think that is what this is, however.

JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:21 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Yeah, the article I read a few days ago suggest it’s an EV.

For what it’s worth, some EV prototypes in Europe have Propane for heat and hot water. Kind of odd combination versus going 100% electric, but it’s done to extend range (particularly on way back after being out for days in cold weather).
Old 01-15-2022, 08:40 PM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Here's the facts about traffic.
The facts about hills even worse.

Real screen shot from a real electric truck.
61% of battery life can go to cooling on a hot day.

Does anyone know if there was an electric car in that 12 hour ice road traffic jam?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1216211720~01.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	35641  

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 09:18 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
What goes up must come down.

Quote:
What was the average speed for the trip, how long was the trip, and what was the terrain traveled like?

Why that matters:
If the trip was very short and the truck started out with a hot interior, it wouldn't be surprising that most of the energy went to initial cooling.

If the trip was longer, but the average speed was low, then the amount of energy needed for moving the vehicle wouldn't have been very high relative to climate control.

If the trip was longer and at a reasonable highway speed, but significantly downhill, then the amount of energy needed for moving the vehicle wouldn't have been very high relative to climate control.

Quote:
Does anyone know if there was an electric car in that 12 hour ice road traffic jam?
Gas cars can (and do) run out of gas, especially in an unexpected traffic jam such as that one. Running out of fuel is a red herring. However, recharging an EV that's run out of juice in a remote location is a lot more difficult. (Simpler to just tow it to a charger.)
Old 01-15-2022, 09:39 PM   #5

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post

.....cut.....

What was the average speed for the trip, how long was the trip, and what was the terrain traveled like?

......cut......
Agree a lot more context is needed. The dash also shows 2 kW and we have no idea what that really represents. It could be air conditioning or heat load, and truck may have been “idling” for an hour without moving much.

Having said that, the shift to electric for vehicles that are driven at highway speeds much of the time doesn’t make as much sense to me. Short term we can achieve as much or more with hybrid technology using Atkinson gasoline engines.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:45 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:

Yes:
https://www.zeta2030.org/insights/im...-stuck-on-i-95

Note that I had recently sat in line for 3 hours in my EV in 25F weather using only 2% battery per hour to keep it warm. That means I could last 50 hours heating the car.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #7

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Yes:
https://www.zeta2030.org/insights/im...-stuck-on-i-95

Note that I had recently sat in line for 3 hours in my EV in 25F weather using only 2% battery per hour to keep it warm. That means I could last 50 hours heating the car.
During the TX Big Freeze while we spend 4 days in the RV burning 60 gallons of gas, the neighbors lived in their Tesla model 3 in their garage. They had car in fireplace mode and slept in it comfortably.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:54 PM   #8

THOR #13932
It's just a factual picture allowing us to decide if we ever want to be in this situation, no matter the reason.

Also, just a question or two because I saw a Rivian charging the other day and chance mentioned the absurdity if long distance driving.

80 minutes to charge every 300 miles(made up numbers)
60 mph=5 hours
Then 80 minute wait at a place you might not to be.
What's the average speed for an 11 hour drive?

Also
If your liesure time has the value of twice your wages(insert your value here) do you add the 80 minutes of hostage time to the price if the fill-up?

If you own an electric, which gas car do you own?

Old 01-16-2022, 12:16 AM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
It's just a factual picture allowing us to decide if we ever want to be in this situation, no matter the reason.

Also, just a question or two because I saw a Rivian charging the other day and chance mentioned the absurdity if long distance driving.

80 minutes to charge every 300 miles(made up numbers)
60 mph=5 hours
Then 80 minute wait at a place you might not to be.
What's the average speed for an 11 hour drive?

Also
If your liesure time has the value of twice your wages(insert your value here) do you add the 80 minutes of hostage time to the price if the fill-up?

If you own an electric, which gas car do you own?
Not 80 minutes more like 45-60. Sure you can always look for the worst case in everything, assume that is the "always case" and discount anything you want...

Many people take EVs on road trips and find the extended break refreshing--a lot of the DCFC chargers are at shopping plaza's with restaurants and stores.

Indeed, however, for an 11 hour drive you're talking adding 2-3 hours.

I do own an electric car, this is my 3rd BEV and 4th plugin (the other was a plug-in hybrid).

Our other cars are the Axis and an Escape. At this point in time the Escape gets less than 100 miles a month put on it because we drive the Mach-E everywhere (except, of course, on some RV trips--on some we take both).
Old 01-16-2022, 12:43 AM   #10

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
Quote:
Not 80 minutes more like 45-60. Sure you can always look for the worst case in everything, assume that is the "always case" and discount anything you want...

Many people take EVs on road trips and find the extended break refreshing--a lot of the DCFC chargers are at shopping plaza's with restaurants and stores.

Indeed, however, for an 11 hour drive you're talking adding 2-3 hours.

I do own an electric car, this is my 3rd BEV and 4th plugin (the other was a plug-in hybrid).

Our other cars are the Axis and an Escape. At this point in time the Escape gets less than 100 miles a month put on it because we drive the Mach-E everywhere (except, of course, on some RV trips--on some we take both).
I think you told me earlier that a EV Luxury SUV is not in the works, but for those that don't see buying a new EV RV anytime soon, what is your view of an EV that is Toad Ready but might also considered a luxury vehicle? Note: No offense to Green fanatics, I just like owning the best technology available that is at or lower than mainstream price.

Speaking of best technology, this site has a Advertiser called "Profitable News"; they are touting the Forever Battery. If one; like myself is not super anxious to be on the bleeding edge, what companies are considered good companies to invest in to help support this big push to EV?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 12:55 AM   #11

THOR #13058
@Jamiegeek

I don't remember when... maybe a year ago, but I received a request from Winnebago to participate in a survey related to an All Electric RV. I said yes; and I remember it was very, very long. I had real world expectations as I recall in my responses, basically saying I wanted it to be equal or better than what I have now.

The below is not much more info, but it is from Winnebago related to the same as the topic is also driving some anticipation on other forums as well.

Winnebago Industries, Inc., a leading outdoor lifestyle product manufacturer, will reveal an all-electric concept motorhome developed by the company’s Advanced Technology Group (ATG) at the Florida RV Super Show in Tampa, according to a press release from the company.

The onsite vehicle and display will be augmented by a virtual Facebook event at 2 p.m. Eastern time on Tuesday (Jan. 18).

Winnebago Industries continues its innovation legacy with the reveal of an all-electric concept motorhome, a milestone in the two-year plus development of the vehicle. ATG was established in 2019 to identify and develop emerging technologies for application within future products and services in the company’s various business units. The all-electric concept motorhome is the first public facing example of ATG work streams and demonstrates a commitment to innovation and sustainability with product electrification, connectivity and improving user interface experiences for customers.

Winnebago Industries ATG leaders will be on-site at the Florida RV Super Show to reveal the all-electric concept motorhome. The concept motorhome will be available for viewing by show attendees at the 760 North Midway display area.

For further information on the virtual reveal and to register for future product updates visit www.WinnebagoInd.com/Electric.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 01-16-2022, 12:59 AM   #12

THOR #13932
I am VERY jealous of not being in a situation where an electric can be used as practical.
Short distance and a real realization of where the electrity comes from, I'd rather burn coal than gas any day.

I had two 1/2 ton electric golf carts here.
Too old to mess with parts, no range, I gave them away and bought two gas, a gator and a sportsman.

I miss those cart/tractors every time I have to use that Damn gator.

And I do look at the worst in things.
It keeps me from buying those worst things and then whining about my optimism bubble having burst when reality strikes.

When I buy things or do things it goes like this before I buy/build:
This project has failed. Let's work backwards from the failure to the start. If we can find a way to NOT let it fail, we'll proceed.

We did not buy the motorhome that made my wife carsick.
I did not use the aluminium to make the snow plow blade edge.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:21 AM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I think you told me earlier that a EV Luxury SUV is not in the works, but for those that don't see buying a new EV RV anytime soon, what is your view of an EV that is Toad Ready but might also considered a luxury vehicle? Note: No offense to Green fanatics, I just like owning the best technology available that is at or lower than mainstream price.

Speaking of best technology, this site has a Advertiser called "Profitable News"; they are touting the Forever Battery. If one; like myself is not super anxious to be on the bleeding edge, what companies are considered good companies to invest in to help support this big push to EV?
Well Luxury SUV: Rivian R1S not to mention GM's Hummer EV.

For RV'ing just about any FWD EV will work. We towned our Bolt all over the place on a dolly loved it. Charged it up at the campground; it was great.

As far as companies to invest in..good question other than Ford (have you seen what their stock has been doing lately) not sure.

Remember all this Winnebago is just a concept not an actual production RV as we have kind of discussed above it really isn't practical to have an "EV RV" at this point in time.
Old 01-16-2022, 01:28 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
I am VERY jealous of not being in a situation where an electric can be used as practical.
Short distance and a real realization of where the electrity comes from, I'd rather burn coal than gas any day.

I had two 1/2 ton electric golf carts here.
Too old to mess with parts, no range, I gave them away and bought two gas, a gator and a sportsman.

I miss those cart/tractors every time I have to use that Damn gator.
Things change all the time however.

Just over 10 years ago there was no EVs anywhere.

About 8 years ago the only (non-Tesla) EVs could only go about 80 miles. (Tesla was about 200)

About 5 years ago you could get (again non-Tesla) an EV that went over 200 miles. (Tesla was about 300)

Last year you could get an EV that went over 300 miles. (Tesla's improvement here is 0-60 in 2.9s)

Next year you'll be able to get an EV pickup that can go over 400 miles (both Rivian, and Chevy Silverado).

Automotive EV technology is evolving very fast.

I wouldn't discount today's and tomorrow's technology because of an experience I had even just a few years ago....
Old 01-16-2022, 02:05 AM   #15

State: South Carolina
THOR #22342
During the TX Big Freeze while we spend 4 days in the RV burning 60 gallons of gas

Its very interesting the alternate use of the RV in an emergency situation. No one mentions this as a real + for owning an RV. After experiencing hurricane Mathew, our RV is now our Emerg escape vehicle. We will continue North until out of harms way. You using your RV in TX due to the freeze was another example of how these vehicles come in handy.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:17 AM   #16

THOR #13932
Ours is a bug-out RV Vehicle:

We're always full of fuel
Full(not 1/3 tank) of water.
8 days clothes
Loaded with canned goods
Loaded with frozen dinners
Loaded with those Hormel dinners that do not need refridgerated.
Propane full-ish or full.
Always plugged in to 120v, never winterized.

Always ready to roll exactly as if we were already rolling across country.
Roll up the shore power cord and stash it. Lock the bin...gone.

Offroader was the bug out before the RV.
It's still loaded the same way because I have to store that carrrappp somewhere.

The stories above tell why.
Never had to, never hope to, never won't expect to.

Old 01-16-2022, 02:41 AM   #17

THOR #2121
Quote:
Things change all the time however.

Just over 10 years ago there was no EVs anywhere.

About 8 years ago the only (non-Tesla) EVs could only go about 80 miles. (Tesla was about 200)

About 5 years ago you could get (again non-Tesla) an EV that went over 200 miles. (Tesla was about 300)

Last year you could get an EV that went over 300 miles. (Tesla's improvement here is 0-60 in 2.9s)

Next year you'll be able to get an EV pickup that can go over 400 miles (both Rivian, and Chevy Silverado).

Automotive EV technology is evolving very fast.

I wouldn't discount today's and tomorrow's technology because of an experience I had even just a few years ago....

If the main goal for electric vehicles is to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, we need to be careful as some of these large electric beast become available.

As long as electric vehicles are charged from electricity produced from fossil fuels, CO2 reduction isn’t as great as one would think. I know equivalent MPG of some electric cars like the Tesla 3 appear extremely high, but will incremental (marginal) electricity for EV charging ever come mostly from renewables? Probably not in my life time (or decades anyway). And I mean in actual usage regardless of accounting methods.

Tesla 3 only requires 240 Wh per mile city according to EPA, but that’s based on battery capacity, not energy to produce electricity, grid distribution, and charger inefficiency.

Also, at steady fast highway speeds, electric equivalent MPG can drop +/- 20%, and in winter conditions Car and Driver found they used a lot more energy in order to keep batteries warm and to preheat cabin. Gas (or hybrids) get lots of free heat to stay warm.

I’m really pulling for EVs to do well, but advances in cars like Honda Insight that get 55 MPG City closes the real-world energy gap. And if cruising at steady 70~75 MPH, it may even hold an advantage over a Tesla.

Large SUVs that require twice as much juice as Tesla 3 to cover same distance do not seem that “green” to me compared to an Insight or Prius.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:50 AM   #18
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
If the main goal for electric vehicles is to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions, we need to be careful as some of these large electric beast become available.

As long as electric vehicles are charged from electricity produced from fossil fuels, CO2 reduction isn’t as great as one would think. I know equivalent MPG of some electric cars like the Tesla 3 appear extremely high, but will incremental (marginal) electricity for EV charging ever come mostly from renewables? Probably not in my life time (or decades anyway). And I mean in actual usage regardless of accounting methods.

Tesla 3 only requires 240 Wh per mile city according to EPA, but that’s based on battery capacity, not energy to produce electricity, grid distribution, and charger inefficiency.

Also, at steady fast highway speeds, electric equivalent MPG can drop +/- 20%, and in winter conditions Car and Driver found they used a lot more energy in order to keep batteries warm and to preheat cabin. Gas (or hybrids) get lots of free heat to stay warm.

I’m really pulling for EVs to do well, but advances in cars like Honda Insight that get 55 MPG City closes the real-world energy gap. And if cruising at steady 70~75 MPH, it may even hold an advantage over a Tesla.

Large SUVs that require twice as much juice as Tesla 3 to cover same distance do not seem that “green” to me compared to an Insight or Prius.
Except that an Insight or a Prius cannot hold as many people or cargo as the large SUV so it is still a win because the EV SUV is more efficient than the ICE SUV it compares to.

Clearly not everyone is willing to drive an Insight (or an EV LOL)...
Old 01-16-2022, 02:54 AM   #19

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by txc2936@yahoo.com View Post
During the TX Big Freeze while we spend 4 days in the RV burning 60 gallons of gas

Its very interesting the alternate use of the RV in an emergency situation. No one mentions this as a real + for owning an RV. After experiencing hurricane Mathew, our RV is now our Emerg escape vehicle. We will continue North until out of harms way. You using your RV in TX due to the freeze was another example of how these vehicles come in handy.
During that same Texas Hard Freeze when we had no power and when they finally got power we had the rolling black outs, we used our portable 3500 generator connected to our home's transfer switch and did fine, except we do not have the pool equipment on the circuit to be supplied by Transfer Switch.

Now that I know it is possible, I would like to have 30 amp male generator receptacle off my Onan 5500. That way if this happens again I can use my RV generator to supply our house Our Transfer Switch can handle 7500 watts, but when I installed it; I wired it thinking I would never go over 3500, I may re-balance and rewire for 5000 watts to include my pool equipment and maybe my downstairs AC unit?
Old 01-16-2022, 03:04 AM   #20

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
No conjecture for me, I'll pass on an electric RV. By the way, what about hills or mountains? Other forums suggest a gas powered RV is no match for one with a diesel power plant. But here, an electric RV is drooled over. I don't get it.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote