Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Heated waste tanks on vegas - how effective?

Want to do some winter camping this year with our Vegas 24.1

My Vegas has the heating pads on the holding tanks but the the drain lines extend several feet beyond that. Ive been adding antifreeze when we flush just as a precaution.

1. Any easy way to know if heating pads are actually working? Are they any good to begin with?

2. Has anyone had their holding tank valves freeze up? If so did they break or will the liquid just expand into the holding tanks instead of busting the drain pipe?

Old 10-01-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
If the poop doesn't freeze: they're doing a great job!
But the drain pipes?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If the poop doesn't freeze: they're doing a great job!
But the drain pipes?
Although my Axis 24.1 also has the heated pads my other 3 rigs did not. I always added the extra flush antifreeze as you are and never had a valve or any other issue. I am in NW Indiana almost Chicago where it gets cold. 0 -5 etc. This is not a Texas winter. I guess a good start would be to use an infrared laser thermometer? and start a log comparing temps. Or use Bob's suggestion....Safe travels.
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

THOR #6513
Good idea on Laser Thermometer! Ill try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by revjeffrey View Post
Although my Axis 24.1 also has the heated pads my other 3 rigs did not. I always added the extra flush antifreeze as you are and never had a valve or any other issue. I am in NW Indiana almost Chicago where it gets cold. 0 -5 etc. This is not a Texas winter. I guess a good start would be to use an infrared laser thermometer? and start a log comparing temps. Or use Bob's suggestion....Safe travels.
Old 10-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Note that the heat pads have a thermostat so you'll likely not notice any warming unless its below 40F or so out.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:47 PM   #6

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Note that the heat pads have a thermostat so you'll likely not notice any warming unless its below 40F or so out.

Thats good to know. Did not realize that. Thanks for the tip.

Upon reflection I may consider buying a couple of cheap thermometers with a remote probes (wired remotes not battery) and setting them inside the coach. May be overkill, but seems like a "fun" thing to think about!
Old 10-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #7

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
I wonder if it would be wise to use electric pipe heater tape available for household use? Its cheap and they have a thermostat built in.

You could wrap all the tank drain pipes and valves to keep temp above freezing.

But you would need electric so if you not at a CG might not be worth it. But you could run the Genny in the day to keep warm while traveling?

Just a thought.

I would add RV antifreeze to the tanks when empty (So they fill the drain pipes and then add some each day to dilute any water added to the tanks durning normal use.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #8

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long & Winding road View Post
I wonder if it would be wise to use electric pipe heater tape available for household use? Its cheap and they have a thermostat built in.

You could wrap all the tank drain pipes and valves to keep temp above freezing.

But you would need electric so if you not at a CG might not be worth it. But you could run the Genny in the day to keep warm while traveling?

Just a thought.

I would add RV antifreeze to the tanks when empty (So they fill the drain pipes and then add some each day to dilute any water added to the tanks durning normal use.

I have considered that but one thing stands out in my mind. At a local plumbing supply store they had a beautiful piece of PVC melted art work. A person had used a 120VAC heat tape and the thermostat had failed on!
I have been weary of them ever sense! Wish I had a picture of it. Very cool (but not so to the person it happened too )

I have looked at some 12volt RV blankets such as Ultra Heat (ultraheat.com) however, that are current limited and of course have the advantage of working anywhere if you have the battery capacity to power it.

Meanwhile I'm in agreement about playing it safe and pouring RV antifreeze in. Problem is I always wonder if I put in enough!
Old 10-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
THOR #8860
Not that I want to pick on Thor's Quality Control...
But do you think that this might ever be said at a campsite?

"Oh great: the poop is now boiling!"
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:22 AM   #10

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
one thing i should point out.....

i have never used my heating pads (probably never will since im in socal) but the pads on mine are starting to separate. there supposed to stick on but mine are sagging. someday i'll zip tie or use some bailing wire to secure them.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #11

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
one thing i should point out.....

i have never used my heating pads (probably never will since im in socal) but the pads on mine are starting to separate. there supposed to stick on but mine are sagging. someday i'll zip tie or use some bailing wire to secure them.

I wouldn't use wire. It could cut thru the insulation and cause an electrical problem. Might try the water proof Gorilla tape or spray adhesive perhaps?
Old 10-02-2018, 10:34 PM   #12

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Good add Jamie, was just going to mention this.

Doesn't do a bit of good to check in 80 degree heat
Old 10-02-2018, 11:05 PM   #13

Model: Axis 25.3
THOR #2526
My heat pads started to come off after the first year and had them re-glued.
Baddad53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:09 AM   #14

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Good add Jamie, was just going to mention this.

Doesn't do a bit of good to check in 80 degree heat

On the Q&A section on Ultra Heats web site they mentioned if you want to test the system in warm weather tape a small bag of ice over the temp switch to force it on. They also warned to not activate the pads unless there was liquid in the tank.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:21 PM   #15

Model: A.C.E. 32.1
State: Alaska
THOR #7977
I keep my drain valves closed and heat pads on during freezing temps. I just dump when close to full and ensure the sewage hoses are empty afterwards. I don’t worry about empty hoses freezing. City water intake is another issue altogether ...
Old 10-08-2018, 04:22 PM   #16

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #13363
How do you turn on the heat pads?

Are the heat pads turning on automatically based on temp or is there a on/off switch?
I have the Thor Axis 25.6 model

Thanks
Old 10-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #17

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomaszL View Post
Are the heat pads turning on automatically based on temp or is there a on/off switch?
I have the Thor Axis 25.6 model

Thanks

Mine have a switch inside on the monitor panel. According to all Ive read there is also a temperature switch in the heating pad but I have not personally verified that.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:46 PM   #18

Model: ACE 27.2
State: Colorado
THOR #11875
We plan to do some traveling this winter and wondering what others do to winterize in between trips. We're in W. Colorado, supposedly not severe cold, but still down into the teens at times. Don't want do the antifreeze thing and then have to clean it out to take a trip, then winterize again.

We're thinking of adding a couple of 1500W space heaters, on low, so would be about 1500W total , running off 120v and 20 am fuse at the house. leaving the cabinet doors open to the fresh tanks, bathroom and water heater. the black and grey are on the other side and not accessible from the inside.

And what about camping where it is cold.... but we're in the coach...does the warm ambient air inside keep everything from freezing?
Old 10-14-2018, 12:08 AM   #19

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbatt View Post
We plan to do some traveling this winter and wondering what others do to winterize in between trips. We're in W. Colorado, supposedly not severe cold, but still down into the teens at times. Don't want do the antifreeze thing and then have to clean it out to take a trip, then winterize again.

We're thinking of adding a couple of 1500W space heaters, on low, so would be about 1500W total , running off 120v and 20 am fuse at the house. leaving the cabinet doors open to the fresh tanks, bathroom and water heater. the black and grey are on the other side and not accessible from the inside.

And what about camping where it is cold.... but we're in the coach...does the warm ambient air inside keep everything from freezing?
I would blow the lines out with compressed air and leave low drains open as well as faucets, drain the fresh water tank leaving the drain valve open and drain water heater. Drain the holding tanks and add antifreeze to waste tanks only. Thirty minutes and your finished. Next trip close the drain valves, including the low drain valves, fill your fresh water tank and head out.
I would not depend on electrical heaters as they require electricity which often fails in winter months.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #20

THOR #6513
Ref camping when it cold. The warm air in the coach might help some. However if it is outside of the heated area it will likely freeze. The furnace needs to be run because in many RVs it heats areas in some storage compartments as well. I only use an electric heater as a supplement to the furnace in the coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbatt View Post