Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2021, 02:07 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #4986
Heater Fan

Went out to my 2017 Vegas this morning and heard a strange noise coming from behind the heater exhaust panel. Opened the access panel and it was the fan running. The heater has not been run in several months. What could have turned the fan on?? There is an “on” “off” switch at the fan. It was in the “on” position. I turned it off and the fan stopped I then switched it to “on” the fan did not come on. I think the Thor boogie man has visited [emoji23] Any help appreciated.

Jerry B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Which on/off switch are you talking about?
The one on the furnace?
Or the one on the thermostat?

The furnace control board may have gotten wet and energized the fan relay which stuck until you removed power by turning the furnace reset switch to OFF.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:28 AM   #3
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
Don't adjust your glasses and do not touch your controls. You have entered the "Twilight Zone". I don't worry about a one time occurrence so long as I cannot easily repeat it. Second time, I want to hunt it down.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:33 AM   #4

Model: Citation
State: Texas
THOR #8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Which on/off switch are you talking about?
The one on the furnace?
Or the one on the thermostat?

The furnace control board may have gotten wet and energized the fan relay which stuck until you removed power by turning the furnace reset switch to OFF.
99.9% sure this is what happened, it'll happen again and might not clear when you use the on/off switch.
Time to get some contact cleaner available at any autosupply, Walmart or Amazon.

The little circuit board is easy to get out and clean.
Use the on/off switch, unplug the wire plug and turn it over, you'll probably see what looks like rust. Use the contact cleaner on both sides and the cable and connector on the board. It'll be dry by the time you get it reinstalled, don't forget the cable and switch.
Good luck

Here's a link for a replacement board.
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010d9eb-ed3d-4139-b707-ee049cd9b6a9.45198afb48fb4654ba99ea5fc5ae2ab3.jpeg.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	34490  
Old 10-29-2021, 05:05 AM   #5

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by abjbrtd View Post
99.9% sure this is what happened, it'll happen again and might not clear when you use the on/off switch.
Time to get some contact cleaner available at any autosupply, Walmart or Amazon.

The little circuit board is easy to get out and clean.
Use the on/off switch, unplug the wire plug and turn it over, you'll probably see what looks like rust. Use the contact cleaner on both sides and the cable and connector on the board. It'll be dry by the time you get it reinstalled, don't forget the cable and switch.
Good luck

Here's a link for a replacement board.
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/
I was exercising the generator last week, and when I shut down the genny I noticed the furnace fan was running... thermostat was OFF. ???

I turned the battery disconnect switch OFF and the furnace fan stopped (of course - expected).

I chalked it up as an anomaly, but now I'm thinking the same thing happened here as the OP.

Is the board easily accessible from the outside panel? And the switch?
Old 10-29-2021, 05:39 AM   #6

Model: XG 32 Omni
State: Missouri
THOR #4243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
I was exercising the generator last week, and when I shut down the genny I noticed the furnace fan was running... thermostat was OFF. ???

I turned the battery disconnect switch OFF and the furnace fan stopped (of course - expected).

I chalked it up as an anomaly, but now I'm thinking the same thing happened here as the OP.

Is the board easily accessible from the outside panel? And the switch?
Yes the board is right there when you pull the outside panel off and so is the ON/OFF switch.
I had this same issue with the 31L we had, I pulled the board out and encapsulated it in an electrical epoxy, no more issues after that.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:08 PM   #7

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwplot34 View Post
Yes the board is right there when you pull the outside panel off and so is the ON/OFF switch.
I had this same issue with the 31L we had, I pulled the board out and encapsulated it in an electrical epoxy, no more issues after that.
Thanks! Checking when the rain stops here...

If it's still in good shape, I plan to apply some sort of conformal coating to seal it. Gotta love exposed circuit boards!
Old 11-03-2021, 07:20 PM   #8

Model: 26' Chateau Class C
State: Texas
THOR #6437
I have had this happen twice, both time after I had the RV washed. I finally figured out water had gotten in to the exterior furnace vent . The fan finally quit after quite a few hours.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:58 PM   #9

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Went out to my 2017 Vegas this morning and heard a strange noise coming from behind the heater exhaust panel. Opened the access panel and it was the fan running. The heater has not been run in several months. What could have turned the fan on?? There is an “on” “off” switch at the fan. It was in the “on” position. I turned it off and the fan stopped I then switched it to “on” the fan did not come on. I think the Thor boogie man has visited [emoji23] Any help appreciated.
Yes it's abnormal but isn't the power disconnect off when your not using it?
Old 11-03-2021, 08:07 PM   #10

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry B. View Post
Amazon sells conformal silicone coating for circuit boards